Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy >

whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy

whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy

Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy

I am racing with a losi 8T and am looking to be faster than a ninja engine! all the guys i race have new ninja engines an they rarely screw up so i am playing catch up....i need top-end more than i need torque we have long straight away!

what would be a step over the b5 pro .21

whats a step over the ninja engines .21

my budget is 350.00-400.00 at the most

great stuff this is what i need to know thanks to all of yall

i am thinking between the 2 of these ( os 25xz or the werks b5 pro ) my guess would be that the os 25xz would be a better bet? is this true ? any thoughts?

Last edited by jbraddock; 06-24-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cheaper and faster to just not wreck.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's not the motor that makes you fast necessarily. Driving skill has more to do with it. Practice, Practice, Practice......
Any of the top name brand motors are going to be good for you or anyone else but they cant help you run tight lines around the track with few to no mistakes.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

If it is top speed you are looking at, typically the higher number of ports leads to higher RPM's a motor can produce. For example a 7 port normally will have higher RPM's than a 3 port from the same manufacturer.

Also, gearing and the proper pipe makes all the difference in the world.

But, my opinion, top speed is grossly overated, as having a motor which is good for the other 95% of the track is what matters.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

A faster motor will probably make you slower....

Get a smooth motor with a good powerband, and drive consistent.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ninja with a 2035 pipe is all you'll ever need in truggy. Very nice setup.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbraddock View Post
I am racing with a losi 8T and am looking to be faster than a ninja engine! all the guys i race have new ninja engines an they rarely screw up so i am playing catch up....i need top-end more than i need torque we have long straight away!

what would be a step over the b5 pro .21

whats a step over the ninja engines .21

my budget is 350.00-400.00 at the most

also i have been checking on the prices of the piston/sleeve for which ever engine i get so i know ahead.. the werks piston/sleeve is a-round 130.00 novarossi piston/sleeve can get upwards of 200.00 thats just nuts
Look up Houston on this site. He can get you dialed for sure. Just tell him what you want. He is honest and up front so there isnt no bs involved. Not only will your motor have plenty of power, you will get great runtime.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jbraddock View Post

You dont need a engine. You need to do the above. A faster motor will not make up for the time you spend on your lid.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you need a new engine that's modded, I would look into a RW Mods Modded Argus A-51. The engine is pretty serious stock, it will be real fast modded. Problem is, it will make the truck hard to drive and will probably slow you down.

Around here, we have allot of guys that run the big, modded engines (Orion 7-Ports, ToroNero's, etc......) and we are all chasing a kid who runs a Dynamite XPE.21 in truggy class (a $150, Alpha based engine). And he usually wins by 2 laps plus.

Gotta remember, unless it's an oval, the strait is probably like 10% of the length of the track. You might go faster 10% of the time, but you don't want to go slower the other 90% of the time.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Get a Clocked O.S. 25xz and you'll be eating Ninjas for breakfast! That is if your driving skills are up to part
Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tecnopower .23 Truggy engine. Great fuel mileage, TONS of power but still very smooth when you want it to be. And only $300 at Amain!!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

A engine with excellent bottom, right pipe and great tunable four shoe is the ticket! Forget top end. At least IMO (which don't mean squat), you will hardly ever use all of your top end and if you do you are basically at the end of a straight. B5/ ninja/ jpx/ p5 is what I would be looking at. Actually a b5 and a m2c or werks clutch with the right pipe is the way to gonand right in your price range. If you have xxtra $$ spend on tires!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
A engine with excellent bottom, right pipe and great tunable four shoe is the ticket! Forget top end. At least IMO (which don't mean squat), you will hardly ever use all of your top end and if you do you are basically at the end of a straight. B5/ ninja/ jpx/ p5 is what I would be looking at. Actually a b5 and a m2c or werks clutch with the right pipe is the way to gonand right in your price range. If you have xxtra $$ spend on tires!
Personally I think that all shades of the power band, bottom end, mid range, and top end, play a role in racing! To totally rule any one part of the powerband out as useless is to commit intellectual suicide... Picture that battle between you and someone else, corner after corner, turn after turn, then, you come to the straight away! How useless is that top end now? Perhaps your on a track where the doubles and tripples are spread out a little farther requiring more speed to clear them, God forbid you dont have enough top end grunt to make up for that mistake in your landing right before having to hit that tripple! Or, what happens if that guy that you were battling with in the corners manages to pull ahead of you and hits that straight away 1/2 second faster than you lol! Then how useless is that extra top end?

I would never recommend an engine to anyone that has a limited powerband. Thats actually why I prefer an engine modded by a competent builder, because modded engines, when done right, allow you to take advantage of power throughout the entire powerband.. My Clocked O.S. 25xz has slightly less bottom end than a .28 (which is still a lot), killer mid range, and better top end explosion than any other motor on my local track! But the power is unbelievably smooth!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Let me rephrase, all the engines I listed have awesome top end, the difference however is that those engines have a bonus down low. Can't speak much for the p5 as I don't own one, but have been whipped by one. I have a modded jpx and b5 and both would stomp on a ninja powerwise, but that is not what he needs to hear, I am slower with my crazy motors because my driving skill is not at the level to fully use all that power. I end up having to tune my clutch and flywheel down with a softer pipe, for that reason IMO, modded is not necessary for me. But they are a blast for me to practice at the track with. My ninja and vspec have tons of bottom and scream on top. Are there smoother motors? Probably, but I like the strong bottom of these STOCK motors because they get my sorry ass out of trouble.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

great stuff this is what i need to know thanks to all of yall

i am thinking between the 2 of these ( os 25xz or the werks b5 pro ) my guess would be that the os 25xz would be a better bet? is this true ? any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.