Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy >

whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy

whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy

Old 06-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abqNitro View Post
Ive been doing pretty well with my modded motor Which is the exact same engine that Maximo is running in his vid.. Also, one of the reasons for all of the wheel spin in Maximos vid is that, that is a brand spankin new track! How many brand spankin new tracks have you ever seen actually give you max traction? From what ive seen and heard from guys that build/maintenance tracks, it takes several years of sugaring and mixing to get the track soil just right.. Go into the ClockWorkRacing thread and take a look at the pics of the track, you can clearly see how loose that top soil is right now.. As far as a tune goes, Maximo is correct! Do you guys really know what tuning consists of or what the whole point of twisting the little screws is? It has to do with achieving the precise air to fuel ratio.. You have to have "X" amount of fuel for "X" amount of oxygen.. A lean condition is when there is too much oxygen and too little fuel, it will not make more power, but rather, it will cut out and lack power at the part of the powerband that is actually running lean.. A rich condition is when you have too much fuel for a given amount of oxygen. Which will cause a rich condition making your R/C bog down..

Also keep in mind your running at nearly 6000 feet above sea level... That reduces the engines power by about 16 % .... If you were running at sea level the engine would make more power and consume more fuel.... The 25 works killer in Truggy at the higher altitudes, where some of the .21's struggle... With the 25 you do not need to run 40% nitro like many of the pro's running .21's do.....Your .25 on 30% is likely still stronger then the .21's on 40% and you likely get better runtimes to boot .... Its all about finding the right engine for the application......
Old 06-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Here's my humble opinion. Any quality .21 engine will do, unless you are good enough to run with the guys you see and read about in the magazines. Get a Ofna Jl .21 or a Werks b5 and run 30 laps w/out running down from the stand to flip yourself over. Fueling is OK . After that, more power is justified.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Braddoc, listen to me,

When I first started in truggy racing I had a Losi 8ight T with a Dynamite platinum .28 . That was like using a ten pound sledgehammer to drive in a ten penny nail. I had to limit the carb slide opening to 1/2 or less to keep the tires from blowing up, the truck was always overpowered and could NOT jump as far as others who were running .21 sized engines. Your truck will only accelerate it's fastest when you don't spin the tires, a more powerful engine will not make up for poor throttle management, your problems will in fact be worse. I have already lived and learned this.

From the Dynamite engine I moved on to an OS VZB V-Spec 3 port motor, and gained on average 1.2 seconds a lap on the same truck, same setup. Doubles that I could not clear before were no problem on the smaller engine due to the truck not spinning the tires like it did before plus the higher rev range of the .21 meant the VZB pulled for a longer period of time which also helps, on a stock engine, generally speaking the bigger the motor, the shorter the powerband.

Finally, I switched to a Mugen MBX6T truggy and ran that same VZB and ran another 2 seconds faster with that truck and won my first race the first time out with the Mugen. Now keep in mind I'm a sportsman driver, I ran so fast on that combo that my lap times during that race would have put me qualifying mid pack in the pro class! The moral of this story is a really powerful engine is not always faster that a less powerful one and a really powerful engine won't make old technology as fast or faster than new technology.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

why hasnt anyone asked what pipe he's using?? that will do more than buying a new engine. Ninjas have tons of top and power all around if combined with the right pipe. IMO there is no need to buy a new engines, faster engines will hurt you more than help you.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
why hasnt anyone asked what pipe he's using?? that will do more than buying a new engine. Ninjas have tons of top and power all around if combined with the right pipe. IMO there is no need to buy a new engines, faster engines will hurt you more than help you.
Jmaxey, he's kinda past that point. He's stuck on the idea that a new bigger motor is going to make him faster. I don't think the pipe selection matters too much now.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
So true..

I always liked this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvaCEEFRuW8

Dude is fast as hell... With a stock Ninja...
I think this thread is pretty much useless now, BUT...

that is an awesome video! Great driving my both the truggy and buggy.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

novarossi p5x produces alot of torque for low and the long stroke will also add to the low end, mid range torque. The 5 ports allows engine to come alive on long staights. fuel economy is just as important as all of the above during long mains. this motor will produce 7 minutes between pitts on 250cc tank.
jp3 pipe or dynamite hi torque will make the p5x come alive.
nova no longer offers this engine. however there are a lot these motors floating around unused. there good for four gallons before pinch or rebuild. Driving consistent every lap, every race will make you faster. a well tunned machine is about 35% winning mains. driver driver
Old 06-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
REX Thats all i know...
Old 06-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slider30250 View Post
Jmaxey, he's kinda past that point. He's stuck on the idea that a new bigger motor is going to make him faster. I don't think the pipe selection matters too much now.
no i just want the best motor i can get for the money i have to work with an there's to many good company's
Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default i think i found it...

http://youtu.be/8CUUIUJ6GIw
its in my price range to...
Old 06-26-2011, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default So true

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Also keep in mind your running at nearly 6000 feet above sea level... That reduces the engines power by about 16 % .... If you were running at sea level the engine would make more power and consume more fuel.... The 25 works killer in Truggy at the higher altitudes, where some of the .21's struggle... With the 25 you do not need to run 40% nitro like many of the pro's running .21's do.....Your .25 on 30% is likely still stronger then the .21's on 40% and you likely get better runtimes to boot .... Its all about finding the right engine for the application......
I live like 10 minutes from the beach near Houston TX and the engines make lots of power but you need to run them a little richer due to the air being condensed. More fuel to equal more air....Then you throw in the humidity, It's like a swamp here, and it rains a lot, well not lately it's been dry, but even then at night when the mains usually are for saturday club racing due to the heat that reaches 100 degrees during the day the tune changes a lot from sunny quals to humid barely cooler nights so I lean the bottom and top about an hour or two before the main because the humidity influences the ammount of air more than the cooler temps. The water in the air replaces some air....can you say flame city....Tonight I was the only one still running in the buggy class.haha..I run 25% and everyone says no they say run 30%. Don't need it here....25% is perfect...and I don'teven wory about getting better runtimes, I just wreck less ......and stay smooth....and keep mental records of conditions so I don't have to worry. You cant start ur engine and see the change that happens 10 minutes into the main.....The idle drops a little and it helps to run it slightly leaner on the bottom and bump the idle if needed, but usually it's the bottom end and a little bit on top that keeps it running....
Old 06-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by R/C Lidz View Post
I think this thread is pretty much useless now, BUT...

that is an awesome video! Great driving my both the truggy and buggy.
Just watched it again for about the 50th time.. The truggy pass on the buggy at 1:01 is awesome!! Makes me want to get a truggy again...(Also love the "WIN!!" at 4:13..)
Old 06-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jbraddock View Post
http://youtu.be/8CUUIUJ6GIw
its in my price range to...
I have the clocked 25xz. It's a hoss. It must be used when traction is very good, lol. Neals B5 is fantastic, as is the xz-b.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abqNitro View Post
Ive been doing pretty well with my modded motor Which is the exact same engine that Maximo is running in his vid.. Also, one of the reasons for all of the wheel spin in Maximos vid is that, that is a brand spankin new track! How many brand spankin new tracks have you ever seen actually give you max traction? From what ive seen and heard from guys that build/maintenance tracks, it takes several years of sugaring and mixing to get the track soil just right.. Go into the ClockWorkRacing thread and take a look at the pics of the track, you can clearly see how loose that top soil is right now.. As far as a tune goes, Maximo is correct! Do you guys really know what tuning consists of or what the whole point of twisting the little screws is? It has to do with achieving the precise air to fuel ratio.. You have to have "X" amount of fuel for "X" amount of oxygen.. A lean condition is when there is too much oxygen and too little fuel, it will not make more power, but rather, it will cut out and lack power at the part of the powerband that is actually running lean.. A rich condition is when you have too much fuel for a given amount of oxygen. Which will cause a rich condition making your R/C bog down..
Im not going to try to explain to u cause u will not get it until u get a few more racing seasons under u. You stated u just started 4-5 weeks ago so come back here in a year more like 2 and tell everyone that you win races due to the insane power of your motor. No disrespect Neal I know u do good work, but It is a shame that a new racer that just started thinks he has the magic motor to make up for bad driving. Driving a insane power motor will hurt a new racer more then helping him, he may think that its helping but in reality it going to do the opposite.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Brandon Black View Post
Im not going to try to explain to u cause u will not get it until u get a few more racing seasons under u. You stated u just started 4-5 weeks ago so come back here in a year more like 2 and tell everyone that you win races due to the insane power of your motor. No disrespect Neal I know u do good work, but It is a shame that a new racer that just started thinks he has the magic motor to make up for bad driving. Driving a insane power motor will hurt a new racer more then helping him, he may think that its helping but in reality it going to do the opposite.
Actually I stated that the power of my engine helps me make up for greenhorn mistakes by allowing me to catch back up if need be....I never stated that my luck was totally because of my hopped up engine, just that it was a big help.. You can have all of the power in the world, but unless you know how to set up everything else to help put that power to the ground, the way you want it to be delivered, the power will be wasted...BTW, I may be new to R/C racing, but not racing in general. I raced motocross and also did desert racing for 15+years on 2 stroke ATV's so I do understand the priciples and mechanics of the whole thing. From tuning an engine, to picking my lines, how to do battle, how to properly hit jumps, etc... My quad engines were always built up too and so were 99% of all of the winning engines that I ever saw in those sports as well.

Personally I think that everyone, including myself , just needs to take a pill and remember that this is all for fun. Nothing is worth ruining that, thats for sure! Lets all just try to keep our internet experience positive and not turn it into a gang war on the forums

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.