Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy >

whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

The answer to the OP's question has already been given - if you want to be faster, get a stock Ninja too - or pretty much anything else.. And improve setup and driving skills and tire collection..

What this is all boiling down to is - as usual- not which engine will make you faster - but which sounds cooler in bragging rights trash-talking on the internet or maybe at the track..
Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
If an engine goes to lean they fall flat and bog out...... I am willing to shoot a video to show this if it is needed........You can't make power by starving an engine for fuel........ On the dyno I usually start with the needles very rich, then each pass I dial in the mixture... you can see on the graphs a very progressive rise in power as the mixture approaches ideal, however once you go past ideal on the lean side the power drops off very fast......You lose power much more rapidly being lean then you do being rich....If my OS 25 was lean, it would stumble and be unable to ring out on top end, it would sound flat and start to detonate at the end of the straight.........
Your missing my point dude. Either because you just dont get it or you are trying to avoid it. I'm by no means a "novice" BTW.

If a engine goes "too" lean it will fall flat on it's face YES, you can still run them on the verge of det in which that one was. There is a difference, as a "engine modder" one would expect you to know this. If you run a engine on the verge of being "too" fat, they do not make as much power as a engine that is on the verge of being too lean.. BIG difference, lets not get it confused Maximo.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why the hostility. From what I got from what Neal said was that if you lean it out to much you get less power than if you have the right mixture of fuel and air hence a lean bog. From what I know from experience a lean bog makes crap for power anywhere in the powerband but richen it up and get a nice smooth powerband with tons of power. If the engine is to fat or rich it still doesn't make as much power as a properly tuned engine who cares if being rich makes more power or less power Neal was just stating how the power curves change on the dyno, you know the doo hicky that measures horsepower at different rpm's and if you tune with it you would probably see all the differences of the power curve while changing the needle settings. Hey Neal do you dyno all the engines that you mod? You should show a dyno print out with the smae engine with a rich setting, race tuned and a lean bog setting and point out the power differences for everyone to see. I would like to see the reading for the O.S. .25 engine.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by got_nitro
Your missing my point dude. Either because you just dont get it or you are trying to avoid it. I'm by no means a "novice" BTW.

If a engine goes "too" lean it will fall flat on it's face YES, you can still run them on the verge of det in which that one was. There is a difference, as a "engine modder" one would expect you to know this. If you run a engine on the verge of being "too" fat, they do not make as much power as a engine that is on the verge of being too lean.. BIG difference, lets not get it confused Maximo.
IMO a perfectly tuned engine runs slightly rich when the tank is full, and may go slightly lean as the tank runs dry....At mid tank it is dialed in ideal..........If an engine is run too lean it will detonate and start blowing glowplugs...especially so at the compression and clearance this OS 25 runs.... Just to show you I just popped the head off the 25 and snapped a couple of pics

I usually will get 2 gallons from each of my glowplugs, I run my engines literally wide open their entire lives, and it is not uncommon to run 10-15 gallons on a crank( depending on brand of course ).... If i ran lean I would be burning my crank pins down much faster...........Now sometimes there are limitations to how stable an engine holds its tune as we are extremely affected by the limitations of the fuel supply system....If a clunk in the tank folds over or hangs up out of the fuel supply the engine can go lean........Just like if a tank is over filled and the lid is snapped shut it can make the tune go very rich, very fast......A modified engine pumpng at 40 000 RPM needs its fuel, trust me......If it was lacking fuel you would hear it.... Just as in the video you can hear the clunk getting bucked around in the tank as the tank was nearly dry....These engine sag very fast is if there is an interruption in the fuel supply....

As you can see from my pictures this engine has not been run lean...crazy thing is it is running 0.35 mm /0.013" head clearance and 30 % nitro, temping at 220 coming off the track....if it was lean my glowplug would be incinerated and my head and piston would be sand blasted.......As you can see my plug coils are stacked perfectly, nice shiny finish on the coil...a slight wetness on the piston and head....a little extra carbon on the exhaust side...FYI this is still the original P4 I broke this engine in on...I haven't even bothered putting in the colder plugs yet.....

I should add the fuel used is mainly castor based..9% oil, 30 % nitro

Last edited by Maximo; 06-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default RC

OFNA Picco Force .21 JL Competition 5 port Off-Road Engine this a great engine
in terms of quality and very affordable. you dont need a very expensive engine
in order to win races its all about skill on how to win races all you have to do is be very consistent in your race and for sure you will be surprise that you will keep on winning the race. good luck hope this could help!!!
Attached Thumbnails whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy-ofn52207.jpg  
Old 06-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

IMO a perfectly tuned engine runs slightly rich when the tank is full, and may go slightly lean as the tank runs dry....At mid tank it is dialed in ideal..........If an engine is run too lean it will detonate and start blowing glowplugs...
I agree, but it dosent happen that fast "blowing plugs" (40 sec vid)

I usually will get 2 gallons from each of my glowplugs, I run my engines literally wide open their entire lives, and it is not uncommon to run 10-15 gallons on a crank( depending on brand of course ).... If i ran lean I would be burning my crank pins down much faster...........Now sometimes there are limitations to how stable an engine holds its tune as we are extremely affected by the limitations of the fuel supply system....If a clunk in the tank folds over or hangs up out of the fuel supply the engine can go lean........Just like if a tank is over filled and the lid is snapped shut it can make the tune go very rich, very fast......A modified engine pumpng at 40 000 RPM needs its fuel, trust me......If it was lacking fuel you would hear it.... Just as in the video you can hear the clunk getting bucked around in the tank as the tank was nearly dry....These engine sag very fast is if there is an interruption in the fuel supply....

As you can see from my pictures this engine has not been run lean...crazy thing is it is running 0.35 mm /0.013" head clearance and 30 % nitro, temping at 220 coming off the track....if it was lean my glowplug would be incinerated and my head and piston would be sand blasted.......As you can see my plug coils are stacked perfectly, nice shiny finish on the coil...a slight wetness on the piston and head....a little extra carbon on the exhaust side...FYI this is still the original P4 I broke this engine in on...I haven't even bothered putting in the colder plugs yet.....

I should add the fuel used is mainly castor based..9% oil, 30 % nitro
I know what a lean engine sounds like. I did not hear any clunk, "clunking around" in the tank from the drivers stand, on a video with a engine screaming out RPM from a long distance.

Now, if you are still going to sit there and avoid the FACT that a slightly leaner engine (even though it will create more heat) and (possibly det) and ( possibly blow plugs) "eventually, not right away for some of these things" does not make more power then a slightly fat engine to make a quick "POWER VIDEO", your out of your mind.

And who's to truly say that engine was not lean? Not me? It sounded like it. You, the guy trying to hold face? Who knows, who cares. All I can go by is what it sounded like.

I posted that the engine was lean. You came in here all defensive and said:

it ran out of fuel ! then it died.......should I have kept video running of the truggy being retrieved ? FYI leaning a engine doesn't make power, in fact they lose power if they go lean..........If you can make a lean engine make that kind of power then you know something I do not!
For one, no one said it had to be (again) "too lean" to where it was blowing plugs OR det. ETC. All that was said was it was lean before you blew up on a post. You will probably come back in here and say "to hold face" that it wasn't your intention to make it sound like that. Whatever though, I'm not soar about it. Actually I'm done with this non-sense.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

I agree, but it dosent happen that fast "blowing plugs" (40 sec vid)

I know what a lean engine sounds like. I did not hear any clunk, "clunking around" in the tank from the drivers stand, on a video with a engine screaming out RPM from a long distance.

Now, if you are still going to sit there and avoid the FACT that a slightly leaner engine (even though it will create more heat) and (possibly det) and ( possibly blow plugs) "eventually, not right away for some of these things" does not make more power then a slightly fat engine to make a quick "POWER VIDEO", your out of your mind.

And who's to truly say that engine was not lean? Not me? It sounded like it. You, the guy trying to hold face? Who knows, who cares. All I can go by is what it sounded like.

I posted that the engine was lean. You came in here all defensive and said:

For one, no one said it had to be (again) "too lean" to where it was blowing plugs OR det. ETC. All that was said was it was lean before you blew up on a post. You will probably come back in here and say "to hold face" that it wasn't your intention to make it sound like that. Whatever though, I'm not soar about it. Actually I'm done with this non-sense.

I have many hours of video posted of all my engine screaming like this....I do this every single time I run my engines.....This is not some magical lean it out for a 40 second video kind of thing....This 25 runs this hard day in and day out....it does not need to be leaned down to make power, in fact if it was too lean it would lose power.... Your just so used to running MT your not used to what a true 40 000 RPM engine even sounds like...I mean you run a OS 30 VG, which sounds like a Briggs and Straton next to this 25.....

And of course you can't hear the clunk in the tank itself, but as I go over the triple you can hear a air pocket in the line from the clunk bouncing out of the fuel in the tank ....as I say it rolled over and dies from running out of fuel...blasting down the straight the engine was 100% at peak tune, not lean, not rich, just right !
Old 06-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Your just so used to running MT your not used to what a true 40 000 RPM engine even sounds like...I mean you run a OS 30 VG, which sounds like a Briggs and Straton next to this 25.!
Yeah, I guess you got me on that one. I should have never gave that VG to my 8 year old son.

As for the 40,000 RPM sounding moded engines, I have no idea what your talking about.

Nice try though

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, I guess you got me on that one. I should have never gave that VG to my 8 year old son.

As for the 40,000 RPM sounding moded engines, I have no idea what your talking about.

Nice try though

[IMG][/IMG]

So what was your point in the first place ? other then to attempt to insult me ? you basically said the only reason my OS 25 runs strong is because it is leaned out, and that any engine can do that if its leaned right out.....basically insinuating the OS 25 isn't fast or powerful unless its run too lean........ I definitely disagree with that your saying, first and foremost good luck finding many engines, leaned out or not that can run with that 25, second thing if it was lean, the glowplug would show and so would the button/piston....... I agree tho if I ran it richer it would lose power, but all the same it would lose power if it was leaned out... I tune them to peak power, usually on the richest setting capable of making peak power........Any richer and power drops off....Any leaner and once again power drops off....... So in the end it is running a ideal tune for making peak performance, and this is how I run my engines every time I burn nitro, definitely not tuned this way for a short 1 lap video as you try to accuse me of........So I am wondering what your point is in the first place ? I can detune the engine and shoot video, I don't quite understand what the point would be tho as even running rich and half throttle it will run with a stock Ninja and not break a sweat........
Old 06-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

This is a never ending conversation Neil knows is stuff his engines are not a joke they're the real man knows how to tune and cut trust me.

Yes the video wasnt great do to track condition put that mill on a different surface different story for sure. MAx come off to be very well short or confident but this engine thing is his passion hes defending his work its not needed its a proven fact.

I like these threads
Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbraddock
I am racing with a losi 8T and am looking to be faster than a ninja engine! all the guys i race have new ninja engines an they rarely screw up so i am playing catch up....i need top-end more than i need torque we have long straight away!

what would be a step over the b5 pro .21

whats a step over the ninja engines .21

my budget is 350.00-400.00 at the most

great stuff this is what i need to know thanks to all of yall

i am thinking between the 2 of these ( os 25xz or the werks b5 pro ) my guess would be that the os 25xz would be a better bet? is this true ? any thoughts?
there is no motor fast enough to catch your mistakes try a bigger clutch bell and a top end pipe.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
This is a never ending conversation Neil knows is stuff his engines are not a joke they're the real man knows how to tune and cut trust me.

Yes the video wasnt great do to track condition put that mill on a different surface different story for sure. MAx come off to be very well short or confident but this engine thing is his passion hes defending his work its not needed its a proven fact.

I like these threads

Thanks dude...!!

I agree it is not showing the engine at its best or in ideal conditions...The track was dry and loose and the mod 25 is not ideal...Or at least not without some changes to the setup ,gearing and tires........ I didn't post the vid to start a fight, brag or any other reason then to respond to the OP's comments about the engine lin a different video previously posted....Where the driver was being more careful and less trigger happy then I was being.... My short clip I posted shows what happens when you grab full wood on the mod OS 25....I figured the OP would would appreciate seeing one cracked wide open......
Old 06-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

the thread starter was wondering if a mod OS 25 would beat a Ninja..........well yes it can ! that is the point of posting the video.....! I have hundreds of videos online of my engines running perfectly, so I have nothing to hide.....I could copy and paste all the perfect video sequences , add in dramatic background music and paint a pretty little perfect picture..or I could just post things as they are and keep things real......The OS 25 is a monster of a engine and i think the video shows that......Yes it was spinning, yes my driving sucked, but it does show how hard a mod 25 can run....

But to make everyone happy, I will go out and shoot a better video of the 25.......

FYI.. I am by no means offended,insulted or worried... it is what it is.....
I called CLOCKWORKS last week from Florida an we discussed the b5 pro an u were saying or someone at clockworks said they had a clocked OS motor that was better than the b5 pro for a-round 400.00 was this the motor we were talking a-bought the"os 25"... also will a rex exhaust work with it or do i have to drop another bill for the exhaust...? (4 MY LOSI 8T )
Old 06-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default CLOCKWORKS....

Clockworks i would like to see some better video on the CLOCKED OS 25 lets see what she can do..
Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1

I like these threads
i agree its not going to hook up for shit in gravel or what ever they were on, it looks like its loosing alot of torque an speed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.