Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy >

whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy

whats faster than a ninja for a losi truggy

Old 06-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jbraddock
I am racing with a losi 8T and am looking to be faster than a ninja engine! all the guys i race have new ninja engines an they rarely screw up so i am playing catch up....i need top-end more than i need torque we have long straight away!

what would be a step over the b5 pro .21

whats a step over the ninja engines .21

my budget is 350.00-400.00 at the most

also i have been checking on the prices of the piston/sleeve for which ever engine i get so i know ahead.. the werks piston/sleeve is a-round 130.00 novarossi piston/sleeve can get upwards of 200.00 thats just nuts
great stuff this is what i need to know thanks to all of yall

i am thinking between the 2 of these ( os 25xz or the werks b5 pro ) my guess would be that the os 25xz would be a better bet? is this true ? any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rfleck
If it is top speed you are looking at, typically the higher number of ports leads to higher RPM's a motor can produce. For example a 7 port normally will have higher RPM's than a 3 port from the same manufacturer.
Those last words does make an important piece of text. Per definition 3 ports does not have to be slow, the 1/10 touring class with there high rpm .12 engines is proving that als also the most wanted OS offroad engine.

Do not get fooled by the definition of ports compared with speed, it is all about timings and other dimensions but not the amount of ports.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

great stuff this is what i need to know thanks to all of yall

i am thinking between the 2 of these ( os 25xz or the werks b5 pro ) my guess would be that the os 25xz would be a better bet? is this true ? any thoughts?
Talk to someone like Neil of ClockWorkRacing Engines... He works extensively with both of those engines (and many more) and therefore has an opinion that holds a great deal of weight!...
Old 06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Both would be good, but the b5 should be a little more controllable and should get better run times.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

I would talk to Houston as well. He knows his stuff. Monty is my first choice though.

Neil at Clockworks knows his stuff as well though.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Muggydude
Both would be good, but the b5 should be a little more controllable and should get better run times.
Ive never owned the B5 but during break in on my Clocked O.S. 25xz, at about the 1/2 gallon mark, I ran 15:44 on 1 tank of S&W Trophy Blend fuel.. I have yet to see another engine this potent get a run time like that.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by abqNitro
Ive never owned the B5 but during break in on my Clocked O.S. 25xz, at about the 1/2 gallon mark, I ran 15:44 on 1 tank of S&W Trophy Blend fuel.. I have yet to see another engine this potent get a run time like that.
hell yeah i haven't ever got that long on a tank! Can your os 25x out run ninjas? I seen a vid. on youtube it was hard to tell by not being there but it looked as fast as the ninja if not faster...it was a clocked version as well
Old 06-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

why do you say that? the b5 is not as much motor as the OS? meaning the os is a faster motor ?Because that would make me want the OS 25 more.. what do u mean exactly?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

why do you say that? the b5 is not as much motor as the OS? meaning the os is a faster motor ?Because that would make me want the OS 25 more.. what do u mean exactly?
Knowledgeable people know that controllable power is better than max power.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Knowledgeable people know that controllable power is better than max power.
I totaly understand that but you should be able to gear the motor down if need be right or adjust my diff oils to compensate for excess power if its to much motor, but i was under the impression that the os 28 was the one to stay away from an the os 25 was lighter an its powerband was smoother an it has the rpms to rev
Old 06-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Are you not listening to anything anyone is saying here? A faster motor really will not outpull those ninja, better driving will. And you don't totally understand, diff oils won't really help that much, and there is only so much you can gear down. You want the motor to be fast and controllable with optimum gearing, not have to gear it down to make it controllable.

The OS .25 should have more bottom end grunt, but I think the B5 would probably outpull the .25, but I may be wrong, I have never run the OS.

As far as what I mean, I mean the B5's powerband is probably smoother than the OS .25

Smoother doesn't mean slower...

abq: When engines are new, they can get some pretty long run times. I timed My vzb VSPEC at 15 minutes when it was pretty new, right after break in. Later though, the run times went down to about 12-13 minutes. It wasn't lean either, temps were fine, ran great, but after the motor wore in more those times went down.

Plus you timed a tank during break in, which should mean your taking it pretty easy on the motor.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Are you not listening to anything anyone is saying here? A faster motor really will not outpull those ninja, better driving will. And you don't totally understand, diff oils won't really help that much, and there is only so much you can gear down. You want the motor to be fast and controllable with optimum gearing, not have to gear it down to make it controllable.

The OS .25 should have more bottom end grunt, but I think the B5 would probably outpull the .25, but I may be wrong, I have never run the OS.

As far as what I mean, I mean the B5's powerband is probably smoother than the OS .25

Smoother doesn't mean slower...

abq: When engines are new, they can get some pretty long run times. I timed My vzb VSPEC at 15 minutes when it was pretty new, right after break in. Later though, the run times went down12-13 minutes. It wasn't lean either, temps were fine, ran great, but after the motor wore in more those times went down.

Plus you timed a tank during break in, which should mean your taking it pretty easy on the motor.
Actually I wasn't taking it easy I took it real easy up to that point and was running the S&W break in fuel.. When I timed it, I was 3 tanks past 1/2 gallon and running it on the Trophy Blend fuel balls out on the track 1 tank at a time! I now have a little over a gallon on it and its nuts are starting to drop and it actually is asking to be leaned out more.. I will have to time it again soon to see what the runtimes are now that its just about broken in.. And if my memory serves me correctly, I remember Neil of ClockWorkRacing telling me that when he dynoed his modded O.S. 25's that they had just a little bit less bottom end than a modded 28 and more top end than most 21's..

Honestly im pretty confident saying that I probably have the fastest motor on my local track! I just started racing recently like 4-5 weeks ago and practiced for a month before having my first race. Now 2 races in I have easily qualified for the A-main both times and took 3rd (out of 10) in my first A-main and I started in the 10th position.. Sure, I may have a little bit of natural talent for these things, but, I give a lot of credit the extreme amount of usable power in the motor that ClockWork built for me.. It allowed me to make up for a few greenhorn mistakes I made and still get a respectable position.. No doubt that in another couple more months, with a few more races under my belt, that I am really going to appreciate this engine!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

hell yeah i haven't ever got that long on a tank! Can your os 25x out run ninjas? I seen a vid. on youtube it was hard to tell by not being there but it looked as fast as the ninja if not faster...it was a clocked version as well
I'll leave them standing still on the straights just like I have with a couple of Toro Nero's! As far as the video goes, that was only the 5th time I have ever driven on a track and still, you can see the power in that engine! Plus, the day that video was taken, there was 50mph winds too, and still, you could see the power in that engine! Yes, its a modded version built by ClockWorkRacing.....I will take some more videos in the next couple of weeks and post them up.. Hopefully I will be able to find someone to record my next race on July 10th to show exactly how this engine stacks up in a competition where all kinds of different powerplants are ran. My driving skills are still developing, but, certain things are still obvious when im side by side with someone else with a different engine
Old 06-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what you want is a full drag mod o.s. .28 I wouldn't even bother with putting rubber on the wheels!

and yes i really do want one.

For my buggy!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Stock b5, seriously it's all you will ever need. I'm heavy on the throttle n this thing makes me happy. Run it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.