Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Cant get this damn thing to start! >

Cant get this damn thing to start!

Cant get this damn thing to start!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Cant get this damn thing to start!

So i have a hpi nitro mt i just picked up from a guy for 75 dollars all it needed was a new spur gear. ive been trying to get it started for the last hour and a half. ive tested the glow plug it glows bright. i have primed the engine. im using 20% fuel. ive messed around with both screw adjustments on the engine and it wont turn over. can someone please help me all i want to do is play with this damn truck lol.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jhop23 View Post
So i have a hpi nitro mt i just picked up from a guy for 75 dollars all it needed was a new spur gear. ive been trying to get it started for the last hour and a half. ive tested the glow plug it glows bright. i have primed the engine. im using 20% fuel. ive messed around with both screw adjustments on the engine and it wont turn over. can someone please help me all i want to do is play with this damn truck lol.
try taking out the plug, then turn it over....might be loaded.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What do you mean it "wont turn over?" As in it wont start or the flywheel wont move. Wont start would be a number of things, bad fuel, not enough/ too much fuel, idle gap is closed stuff like that. Wont turn over could be really bad like a locked up motor or hydro locked. If its hydrolocked, like the above post said, remove the glow plug and crank it over to clear it out. Then reinstall and try again. Need a little more info from you so we can help out more, like type of engine, more details other than it wont start.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
What do you mean it "wont turn over?" As in it wont start or the flywheel wont move. Wont start would be a number of things, bad fuel, not enough/ too much fuel, idle gap is closed stuff like that. Wont turn over could be really bad like a locked up motor or hydro locked. If its hydrolocked, like the above post said, remove the glow plug and crank it over to clear it out. Then reinstall and try again. Need a little more info from you so we can help out more, like type of engine, more details other than it wont start.
sorry i should have been more specific the flywheel does move. it just wont start. its a .15 hpi engine. ive opened and closed both screws and turned both slightly and kept trying. ive also primed. i also removed glow starter and pulled. i re primed multiple times and still no start idk if i have the screws set correctly or what. (when i say screws i mean the things on the carb theres a small one and then a bigger one)
Old 06-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Maybe the spur gear wasn't the only problem, go to hpi's website and look for the factory needle set points and go from there.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CORRRCR View Post
Maybe the spur gear wasn't the only problem, go to hpi's website and look for the factory needle set points and go from there.
ive tried adjusting both. but im new to nitro and i bought this car used. oh and btw i dont have the spur gear yet im just trying to see if this motor will start up so it wont be able to go anywhere without the spur gear in. but i assumed i could still start it up. by the way which screw is which? theres a small one and then a bigger one? and as far as adjusting them?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jhop23 View Post
ive tried adjusting both. but im new to nitro and i bought this car used. oh and btw i dont have the spur gear yet im just trying to see if this motor will start up so it wont be able to go anywhere without the spur gear in. but i assumed i could still start it up. by the way which screw is which? theres a small one and then a bigger one? and as far as adjusting them?
GOT IT RUNNING!! THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP tURNS OUT I JUST NEEDED TO ADJUST THE SCREWS A LITTLE BIT MORE
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Good to hear you got that damn thing to start.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 PM

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

sounded like the roto-start or pull start one way bearing could have been slipping. I remember on my old Muggy I had to blow on the fuel line to get some fuel in on the one way to make it grab.