Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Losi 454 8ight-T RTR Breakin-Not Easy For This Turd >

Losi 454 8ight-T RTR Breakin-Not Easy For This Turd

Losi 454 8ight-T RTR Breakin-Not Easy For This Turd

Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Losi 454 8ight-T RTR Breakin-Not Easy For This Turd

So today I got this turd started. Heated it up, cranked and cranked with the RTR starter box and finally got it running but had to keep blipping the throttle to keep it going because its so rich. It still kept dying and I couldn't get the temps up over about 120 even with a sock and foil on it - that is how rich these stock settings are. I leaned it over to drain the oil from the muffler and about a gallon (OK maybe not a gallon) of oil came out, so plenty of lubrication there, for sure. After about a half tank of starting and restarting of course the starter box belt broke.

I replaced it and refilled the tank and ran that tank through but the temps are still up to maybe 130, with a sock on the head. Too rich to keep it going for long - gotta keep blipping that throttle, I have no idea how people keep them idling on the box - this thing loads up in about 10 or 15 seconds.

Tomorrow I will try to finish the break in! I hope I don't break another starter box belt because I only had one spare! LOL

My Associated box is a lot tougher but I don't want to change the configuration on that one since it is set up for my street cars, but that might be a last resort! Anyone lean these 454's out a little to keep them running enough to break in and get the temps up? This thing is slobbering rich!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Tech Champion

Lean it a bit, and plop it right on the ground and bloop it around with slow 1/4 throttle pulls doing figure-8's, etc.. I think most people nowadays say idleing on the box is not necessary - or even adviseable.. The original heat cycling how-to basically said put the car on the ground and run it from tank 1..

If it's obviously gushing out fuel from the pipe and sounds like it's choking on it, then I would lean it. If it looks smoky and not too much fuel is spitting out, then just run it around moderately til the temps get up to 200-225. Then shut it off, cool with piston at BDC, read a book/play with yo-yo/work on tap-dance moves, whatever, then repeat after it's completely cooled.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

I have done the same as you. TOO RICH for me too....
I leaned it out rather much but STILL had fuel spitting out of the pipe.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys - yeah I will lean the HSN a bit and try and get a few more tanks through and get the temp up to heat cycle. There is no way it's going to heat up to 200 running this rich when its 50-something degrees outside, even with foil and a sock on the head.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

Default Factory Needle Settings Were Way Off

The stock settings for this engine are 2 1/2 turns out from closed on both the HSN and LSN. Because its so rich I checked them to see if they had come from the factory adjusted close to where they should be. Both were way rich - about a full turn too far out. Should make things a little easier for break-in!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

So I went ahead and set the HSN and LSN at 3 turns out just to have a little cushion and what a difference from the factory settings! I was able to run through the next tank and keep the temps at 200-220 with foil on the head yet still keep it very rich.

I recommend anyone getting the RTR 454 reset the factory settings because they are way off - I actually found the HSN to be set at 4 1/2 and the LSN at 3 1/2 when the book says both should be 2 1/2. If I hadn't tried to run the 1st tank on the settings it came with I probably wouldn't have broken the starter box belt!