Buying a used motor

Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Buying a used motor

Would you do it?
Or is it just asking for trouble, and worth spending the extra on a new motor?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I have and had good luck with the motor and bad luck it really depends on the motor and the person selling it but you can get new motors from $99 and up i would probley just get a new one.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I too have had some good luck buying used engines, and have seen a lot of bad. I think if it is a model of engine you know very well inside and out, and you're willing to put some parts into it if needed, you can find some really good deals on used engines. If you aren't comfortable working on engines and you don't know when parts need to be changed on an engine, it is probably best to stick with a new engine. You could get a great engine, and you could get a pile of junk. If you're smart about it and you know what to look for, you can get away with it.

In the end it is always safer to buy brand new.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would only buy used from someone I Know. there's allot of people who cant tune and try to sell their mistakes
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks, this will be my first nitro motor, so wouldnt know what I am looking for. I might just stump up for a brand new motor I think. The point Jaz made is what I'm worried about, ending up with soemthing that has been screwed by someone not knowing what they are doing.

At least if I get a new motor and stuff it, its all my doing
Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thorns
Thanks, this will be my first nitro motor, so wouldnt know what I am looking for. I might just stump up for a brand new motor I think. The point Jaz made is what I'm worried about, ending up with soemthing that has been screwed by someone not knowing what they are doing.

At least if I get a new motor and stuff it, its all my doing
Exactly
Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

you learned a good lesson today young Padawan......there's lots of great engines in the $100-$150 price range and since its your first one you should not spend more than that because yes, you are going to kill it prematurely.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
you learned a good lesson today young Padawan......there's lots of great engines in the $100-$150 price range and since its your first one you should not spend more than that because yes, you are going to kill it prematurely.
guaranteed
Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I would only buy used from someone I Know. there's allot of people who cant tune and try to sell their mistakes
ummm there sure is

when buying used you must consider the source
Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dont worry engine has 1 gallon through it, still needs to be broken in

More people dont know how to tune engines than you would think.
Do yourself a favor and buy new even if it is a low cost engine at least nobody else has touched it.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well

I would say no, they don't last long enough to do that, butttttttt

I've bought one used engine from e bay it was an old p5 that had just been broken in but never raced. It was 100 bucks, and I was nervous, but when I got it in the mail it was perfect, it still had metal pinch and I ran the the dog snot out of that engine for a long time. got it pinched and a new rod and it kept on runnin, no new bearings nada....So yes you may get lucky, but that lucky, probably not....

.Some people treat their engines like rental cars and that aint good...
Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+1 Its best to not buy used, There are too many factors involved, being how the engine was tuned, after run oiled, how clean the air filter was kept or if dirt was ingested, Then just the fact of the engine could be worn out. Crank, rod,bearings compression, piston/sleeve damage. etc... Ther eare a lot of low cost engines these days that are great. ANd you dont have to go buy a top dawg high cost engine to get started. So I would say dont take the risk, just buy new and you bypass any "bought a bad used engine" blues....

I have seen engines with only 2 gallons on them be completely beat, becasue of user error, so you cant go by the "this engine has x amount of gallons on it" all the time. Some guys can get 8 gallons and some guys can get 2 gallons.

There is a lot to learn in this hobby, so it will be easier to get going without having to deal with a previous owners engine problems..

take care,
Lance
RcRenew.com
Old 05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by thorns
Would you do it?
Or is it just asking for trouble, and worth spending the extra on a new motor?
I only buy new engines but if you to buy a used engine, buy it only if I know who has it before and if he takes care of it. Otherwise, buy new.