Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Best Competition Pipe for LRP z.28? >

Best Competition Pipe for LRP z.28?

Best Competition Pipe for LRP z.28?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Best Competition Pipe for LRP z.28?

Hi Guys,

Running an S8TX RTR and want to start racing @ my local club. I want to change the stock pipe to something more fuel efficient (currently VERY thirsty) without sacrificing to much performance? I have heard the OFNA JP-3 is a good match?

Any recommendation greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 AM

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I had the ofna jp2 on my lrp a few years back, it was a great pipe and matchup for the engine IMO so I'm sure the jp3 would be a good choice or even a Dynamite 086 would work.......
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

that engine will be a massive fuel hog no matter what pipe you use.....instead of spending money trying to find a better pipe I suggest saving your money for a better engine first.....You will find the competition .21's to be faster and better on fuel, and these days you dont have to spend a pile of money to get a good .21
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

JP-2 for power, though yes, it is thirsty. GREAT match for the LRP. I've heard the JP-3 is good too. Also, the Tsais T36 maybe..

The LRP will be thirsty, but IMO is very user-friendly. Run-time is also overrated IMO unless you're already into racing and fairly serious about it. If you think you really want to get into it, then yeah, maybe consider a more race-oriented 21 engine and pipe - but even a cheap engine with pipe will run you $250. If that's out of the question, then I would try to get a used JP-2. I never tried it, but I have heard the Asso 2035 is a good all-rounder - and it's cheap at amain(under 50 bucks..) A stock Losi RTR pipe from an 8B or 8T or Muggy on ebay is prob the cheapest option, and the LRP will run well with it...

All depends on your budget and longer-term intentions....
Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running jp4 on jpx .28,get 8 min a tank and still trying to learn to tune well.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Forgot about that. JP-4/ Hong Nor 2062 is probably a good call. It goes well with the LRP 28, and is supposedly a fuel-saving pipe....
Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
that engine will be a massive fuel hog no matter what pipe you use.....instead of spending money trying to find a better pipe I suggest saving your money for a better engine first.....You will find the competition .21's to be faster and better on fuel, and these days you dont have to spend a pile of money to get a good .21
thats kinda silly because if he did save up for a new good .21 engine he would need a new pipe anyways ,so why not just get a good pipe for the lrp and just use it to become better driver then when your ready step up to a comp-.21 engine that you will get the most out of because of all the laps you have done with the lrp ..

my 2cs
Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sly6t View Post
thats kinda silly because if he did save up for a new good .21 engine he would need a new pipe anyways ,so why not just get a good pipe for the lrp and just use it to become better driver then when your ready step up to a comp-.21 engine that you will get the most out of because of all the laps you have done with the lrp ..

my 2cs
My thought is why spend money trying to make a LRP 28 better on fuel.. when no matter what he does the engine will not be good on fuel...He's better to run it as is, get laps in...and save money for a better racing engine...Why spend money building something to be something it will never be.......I mean its not like were talking much money anyways...But no matter what pipe he uses that LRP will always be at a disadvantage to the race engines...And of course if he gets a solid .21 he needs to buy a pipe, but at least he's buying a pipe for a proper race setup...If he buys a pipe for the LRP, then dumps the engine after 2 gallons because its a gas hig, then he's now got a pipe for a engine he may never use anyways..... better off to just buy a race proven combo right off the bat, enjoy the LRP as it is and get as much track time as possible.....regardless a JP2 can be bought dirt cheap anyways, so its really a moot point to begin with !
Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sly6t View Post

my 2cs
This is going to be my approach for now. Though thanks for all the input guys, certainly gave me something to consider.

If I can get a JP2/JP3 for cheap now then that will do until I get some skills that actually warrant me laying out the further cash for a good racing motor/pipe combo.

Would there be any significant difference for me between the JP2 or JP3. Just not sure which would suit best at this stage?

thanks again for the replies guys....
Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

I would get the JP-4. The JP-4 definitely works well on the LRP, AND it works well with some 21's - at least lots of people run it on 21's.

Check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ6OW...A9DD3FDC507F1B

Not a truggy I know, but you can see the LRP with JP4 in action..

If you don't want the JP-4, I would get the JP-2. Though again, the JP-4 is probably more useable with other engines later.. The JP-2 is the best pipe for the LRP I know of for all-out power...
Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
Hi Guys,

Running an S8TX RTR and want to start racing @ my local club. I want to change the stock pipe to something more fuel efficient (currently VERY thirsty) without sacrificing to much performance? I have heard the OFNA JP-3 is a good match?

Any recommendation greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
The best pipe for the motor HANDS DOWN for run-time is the Losi RE11 pipe. I run the losi 454 which is the same engine but the LRP has a better carb on it. If you want to get better run-times run this pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZgzIMUiDIk run-time vid.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Again, for those who are interested, official response from LRP...

"When it comes to fuel efficiency, then a .28 size engine is the wrong partner. With a pipe you can get a maximum of 20 to 30 seconds more runtime, not more. The Enduro 46 pipe is working very good and gives the engine more power then with the stock pipe, but regarding the runtime there will not be much difference.
When it comes to runtime you should check for a .21 size engine, especially for the use on racetracks the runtime with a .21 size engine can be increased remarkably. "
Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just get a JP3....that way you can just buy a Clockworks JL and you'll already have the right pipe for it