help with Reedy 121 vr

Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default help with Reedy 121 vr

I recently bought an RC8B used with a reedy motor. I live in the desert in so Cal and it is already in the 90's temp wise. The car came from washington, I richened it up quite a bit. This thing screams, the bottom end is nuts. The problem I am having is it will run upwards of 280 for a while and seems to love it. It will run li,e this for a bit but the ,ast few minutes of the main it will hit 300 degrees. No performance loss, maybe seems a tad lean on the low end, nice blue smoke. It is warmed up for a while, ran hard and maintains temps, but after 8 minutes of straight racing is when it gets super hot

This might be a dumb question, but is this way too hot or will this motor take it? I was told the motor has 3 gallons on it, but it has good compression and was well taken care of. Starts on the first bump, idles fine etc. As soon as I see the high temps I shut it down, but I'm just wondering

This is my first 8th scale nitro, I've only had RC10GT's but its been a while

I dont want to ruin the motor, but it seems to love the high temps. I could hear it ping before we richened it up, ut now that that its been re-tuned it runs perfect
Old 04-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer View Post
I recently bought an RC8B used with a reedy motor. I live in the desert in so Cal and it is already in the 90's temp wise. The car came from washington, I richened it up quite a bit. This thing screams, the bottom end is nuts. The problem I am having is it will run upwards of 280 for a while and seems to love it. It will run li,e this for a bit but the ,ast few minutes of the main it will hit 300 degrees. No performance loss, maybe seems a tad lean on the low end, nice blue smoke. It is warmed up for a while, ran hard and maintains temps, but after 8 minutes of straight racing is when it gets super hot

This might be a dumb question, but is this way too hot or will this motor take it? I was told the motor has 3 gallons on it, but it has good compression and was well taken care of. Starts on the first bump, idles fine etc. As soon as I see the high temps I shut it down, but I'm just wondering

This is my first 8th scale nitro, I've only had RC10GT's but its been a while

I dont want to ruin the motor, but it seems to love the high temps. I could hear it ping before we richened it up, ut now that that its been re-tuned it runs perfect
richen both needles slightly. hsn by only like 1/36 of a turn.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

The Reedy likes to run hot. My Reedy's usually ran near 260-280 with great power.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Someone at the track suggested something may be binding but this thing is as Smooth as butter

If the clutch shoes are worn could this cause higher temps?

I am going to go through the entire car while our track is closed for a couple weeks, I'm just trying to learn what to watch out for
Old 04-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Someone at the track suggested something may be binding but this thing is as Smooth as butter

If the clutch shoes are worn could this cause higher temps?

I am going to go through the entire car while our track is closed for a couple weeks, I'm just trying to learn what to watch out for
clutch bearings, overtighten'd on the clutch bell end incorrect shimming at end of crank shaft for min play. a bad bearing anywhere in the car can cause temps to rise
Old 04-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

So basically I need to go through the entire car, make sure its all fresh, then evaluate. My target temp should be 280 or below?
Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

So basically I need to go through the entire car, make sure its all fresh, then evaluate. My target temp should be 280 or below?
hard to say what a target temp should be, but alot of reedys run hot.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

K, thanks. I'm gonna tear it down and check it out
Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

found the problem, HA. I have put over 1/2 gallon on the car since I got it. I was expecting to make some repairs, so I thought I'd just drive it for a bit then tear it down. I honestly dont know if it was like this when I got it or if I did this.

im just glad it was easy to find