R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   engine crankshaft past the outer clutch bearing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/506249-engine-crankshaft-past-outer-clutch-bearing.html)

tc5 man 04-23-2011 03:45 PM

engine crankshaft past the outer clutch bearing

1 Attachment(s)
ok i been wondering this is it ok to have the crankshaft past the outer clutch bearing even just a little bit and not to flush ?

if not why ?

and, also i looking at this clutch bell since i have thier clutch system for the rc8t its vented is that good or bad the thing i worry about is dirt flying into it and making the clutch dirter ?

i have a adsency clutch .

RCmayor 04-23-2011 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 9007722)
ok i been wondering this is it ok to have the crankshaft past the outer clutch bearing even just a little bit and not to flush ?

if not why ?

It is preferable to have the end of the crank slightly past the outer bearing. Use some 5x7mm shims to set the end play to about .5mm.

tc5 man 04-23-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RCmayor (Post 9007760)
It is preferable to have the end of the crank slightly past the outer bearing. Use some 5x7mm shims to set the end play to about .5mm.

ok, so it sounds like its fine than to have it a little past the outer clutch bearing than ?

yea, im using the ofna clutch shims i forgot what size they are and i tried it with the crankshaft a little past the outer clutch bearing and it shimed good but when it was flush with the bearing forgot about it lol.

i posted a pic up of the bell and what clutch kit im using .

rageworks 04-23-2011 04:05 PM

The crankshaft is longer than the outer clutchbell gearing on
all of my off-road rc's. You have to use shims to obtain the
proper end-play of the clutchbell. One shim on the crankshaft
between the flywheel nut and inner clutchbell bearing.The rest
are installed on the end of the crankshaft, between the outer
clutchbell bearing and the washer on the screw that goes in
the end of the crankshaft. You have never shimmed a clutchbell ?
You can probably find a video on Youtube that will show you how
to shim a clutchbell properly.

tc5 man 04-23-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by rageworks (Post 9007798)
The crankshaft is longer than the outer clutchbell gearing on
all of my off-road rc's. You have to use shims to obtain the
proper end-play of the clutchbell. One shim on the crankshaft
between the flywheel nut and inner clutchbell bearing.The rest
are installed on the end of the crankshaft, between the outer
clutchbell bearing and the washer on the screw that goes in
the end of the crankshaft. You have never shimmed a clutchbell ?
You can probably find a video on Youtube that will show you how
to shim a clutchbell properly.

yea, i have shimmed a clutchbell before il check out the youtube video though.
im using a 34mm ascendancy clutch kit on my rc8t and with the stock bell it doesnt cover the whole shoe but it covers most of it but guys said that was fine .

but, i have to use 3 clutch shims behind the inner bearing to get the crankshaft just sightley over the outer bearing.

andrew-01 04-23-2011 04:15 PM

Searching always yields plenty of results.

(2:25)
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

J.Whiting 04-23-2011 04:18 PM

pleased post in the correct forums from now on.. thank you. thread will be moved..

Werks 04-23-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 9007802)
yea, i have shimmed a clutchbell before il check out the youtube video though.
im using a 34mm ascendancy clutch kit on my rc8t and with the stock bell it doesnt cover the whole shoe but it covers most of it but guys said that was fine .

The clutch bell should cover the entire surface of the shoe. If your clutch bell is only covering a portion on the shoes i.e. 1/4th of the contact surface of the shoe is not covered by the bell then this is not correct. This will result in the clutch not working as intended as the complete surface of the shoe will not bs contacting the bell. End results will be clutch slippage and increased wear on the shoes. I what you are saying is indeed happening touch base with the guys that made the clutch as they should be able/willing to help you out to get everything set up properly.

dreaux 04-23-2011 05:45 PM

If you don't shim the end the clutch will stay engaged at all times. Bad bad bad

tc5 man 04-23-2011 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 9008117)
The clutch bell should cover the entire surface of the shoe. If your clutch bell is only covering a portion on the shoes i.e. 1/4th of the contact surface of the shoe is not covered by the bell then this is not correct. This will result in the clutch not working as intended as the complete surface of the shoe will not bs contacting the bell. End results will be clutch slippage and increased wear on the shoes. I what you are saying is indeed happening touch base with the guys that made the clutch as they should be able/willing to help you out to get everything set up properly.

well, i guess i have to get this clutchbell than the guys who make the clutch said its fine as long as the flat part of the shoe is in the bell and not showing.

it has a cut off at the end of the shoe its to clean off the burs better.

this is the clutchbell its a asdsency bell.

cordarrow 04-24-2011 05:11 AM

thread will be moved..
LOL....busybusybusy.