The color of glowplugs...

Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Default The color of glowplugs...

Gentlemen

How does your glowplugs looks, after some liters ( gallon) of fuel?

My experience:
With a well tuned engine (not too lean or rich), the color on the coil will be like it was new - even after many liters of fuel.
The coil will be grey or black if you your engine is set too lean or if you use too cold plug for the specific engine/fuel/compression ratio.

Hit me back
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lille-bror View Post
Gentlemen

How does your glowplugs looks, after some liters ( gallon) of fuel?

My experience:
With a well tuned engine (not too lean or rich), the color on the coil will be like it was new - even after many liters of fuel.
The coil will be grey or black if you your engine is set too lean or if you use too cold plug for the specific engine/fuel/compression ratio.

Hit me back
When my tune is where I want it my plugs have a nice cocoa brown coloring around the base of the plug and the filiment looks new. When you see white or grey for a color it is lean and the filiment may be distorted. If you see really dark brown or black, it is rich. I have also seen black on the top of the piston if the oil package in the fuel isn't as good of a quality or if the engine has run hot for a period of time. There are other reasons for certain plug colors but these are the basics.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I can't remember where I saw this, so I can't credit the original author.
Here's what I copied.

"How to “READ” your glow plug:

OS and Turbo glow plugs go gray sooner [easier] than McCoy plugs; this is not necessarily bad. Actually when A new plug wire just goes slightly gray after
a 5 or 10 minute hard run it means your very close to an optimal horsepower tune, but be careful the next step is TOO LEAN!
My rule of thumb.
1} Wire and surrounding bottom of plug wet, with like new shiny wire = rich side of optimum power 85%
2} Wire and surrounding bottom of plug starting to dry and wire starting to gray = Very close to optimum power 95%
3} Wire and surrounding bottom of plug dry, wire totally gray but not distorted optimum power 100%
4} Wire and surrounding bottom of plug dry, wire distorted = slightly lean DANGER!
5} Wire and surrounding bottom of plug dry, wire broken and distorted or burnt up = extremely lean possible engine damage!
Note: You can only “Read” your plug in a nearly new state [Wire like new and shiny] A gray plug can still operate well. After it has totally gone gray,
performance can start to fall off. To test just put in a new plug and if there is no difference in performance save the gray one or put it back in. If your engine does not feel or run right try a new plug before making major tune changes."
Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

its all in "the tuning bible"

you would be amazed how much info can be obtained if you thoroughly read "the tuning bible" and "the break in bible" , you got questions about a nitro engine ? just about bet there are answers in the bibles , you just need to read them and be able to comprehend the information

hope this helps
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by houston View Post
its all in "the tuning bible"

you would be amazed how much info can be obtained if you thoroughly read "the tuning bible" and "the break in bible" , you got questions about a nitro engine ? just about bet there are answers in the bibles , you just need to read them and be able to comprehend the information

hope this helps
Thats right Monty. I forgot it...