Like Tree5Likes

can you fix a dented pipe?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default can you fix a dented pipe?

i have a sirio 2013 formula buggy pipe that i love...but it got dented...i heard you can fill it with water, plug the holes and freeze it...will this work?...just wondering...thanks...i really like this pipe
Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Tried this with varied results when I raced 2 stroke motor bikes. Another way was to block one end off. drill a hole in a cork or rubber bung big egough to push the end of an air nozzle into and GENTLY blow compressed air into the pipes while heating with an blow torch. You need to ensure the pipe has been cleaned out properly and take your time lightly heating the pipe so you do not put a hole in it. If you are not comfortable or dont have the resources to do it a boiler maker would be worth going to.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

freezer works it take awhile. fill it up with water and plug the holes. and repeat
DXPinoyRC likes this.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I badly dented my pipe on my 1st run with my buggy and my frd asked me to try the freezing method. It works quite ok. I tried it twice on the pipe just to make sure I could smooth out the dent. I would say it clears the dent up to 80%? The problem is it's quite difficult to seal the endings strong enough to withstand the water-ice expansion. Once u solve that, yr results would be better.
DXPinoyRC likes this.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

damn fuel cooler!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stallen50 View Post
freezer works it take awhile. fill it up with water and plug the holes. and repeat
+2.. just keep doing it until its as smooth as it can get...
DXPinoyRC likes this.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Initiate

If you do get a good seal on both ends, make sure you don't leave it in the freezer too long or you can over expand it or even split the pipe.
DXPinoyRC likes this.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

I clipped a track pipe with the stinger on my buggy and it was almost flat to the pipe. I used hoses on all three ends with bolts and hose clamps to seal it off. Half hour in the freezer and it was pretty much back to where it was. And i had no problem sealing it with the method i used.
DXPinoyRC likes this.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If its a 2 piece pipe it will split unless you allow room for the expanding ice. Lesson learned
Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

use a few metal hose clamps on the non dented areas to ensure if you happen to take a nap while its in the freezer the clamps will help it to keep its shape...
Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default dent fix

the easiest way would be to find a metal or hard wood ball the same size as your pipe drill a hole in it and put a rope or cable through it then just pull it through your pipe, In the AF we used this method to remove dents in tubing on the aircraft and it worked really well.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flip it View Post
Tried this with varied results when I raced 2 stroke motor bikes. Another way was to block one end off. drill a hole in a cork or rubber bung big egough to push the end of an air nozzle into and GENTLY blow compressed air into the pipes while heating with an blow torch. You need to ensure the pipe has been cleaned out properly and take your time lightly heating the pipe so you do not put a hole in it. If you are not comfortable or dont have the resources to do it a boiler maker would be worth going to.
+2..... I also used to do this when I was racing 2 stroke quads and it works like a charm!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cruiser198 View Post
the easiest way would be to find a metal or hard wood ball the same size as your pipe drill a hole in it and put a rope or cable through it then just pull it through your pipe, In the AF we used this method to remove dents in tubing on the aircraft and it worked really well.
Ok, how do you pull the ball through the chambers again?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cruiser198 View Post
This won't work on a 2-stroke pipe. They are tapered from end to end, and most have more then 1 chamber in them.. On a flat smooth 4-stroke pipe I could see this working..

I've done the freeze methodwith good results.. The Key IMO is to check on it often, and know when it is as good as it is going to get. I've misshaped a pipe by freezing it 1 too many times.. It still worked as good as it did before the dent, it just looked really messed up..
Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
This won't work on a 2-stroke pipe. They are tapered from end to end, and most have more then 1 chamber in them.. On a flat smooth 4-stroke pipe I could see this working..

I've done the freeze methodwith good results.. The Key IMO is to check on it often, and know when it is as good as it is going to get. I've misshaped a pipe by freezing it 1 too many times.. It still worked as good as it did before the dent, it just looked really messed up..
i have found that the freezing method and the air compressor method does not work well, i just buy a new one

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.