only the pros

Old 04-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

"I tune my engines about 1/60th of a turn at a time" that's rediculous. If your looking for the "perfect" tune than your out of luck because the moment any dirt hits the air filter you will be out of "perfect tune."

You may know your motor stuff and I don't mean any disrespect, but I just think that is a little crazy.

Last edited by Manufacturercup; 04-17-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manufacturercup
"I tune my engines about 1/60th of a turn at a time" that's rediculous. If your looking for the "perfect" tune than your out of luck because the moment any dirt hits the air filter you will be out of "perfect tune."

You may know your motor stuff and I don't mean any disrespect, but I just think that is a little crazy.
i think i just lmfao'd so hard i spit my beer out my nose , bad boy Rick

60 minutes in each hour = 720 incriments per turn of the needles wow that really is precise

Last edited by houston; 04-17-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
If your idle fluctuates at all your too rich on bottom and lean on top (the tuneup 90% people end up with it seems) If I have to tune on the box I make sure to warm it up as much as possible (limited ability to do this since there is no load on the engine) and set the HSN as sort of a "rev limiter" just below full RPM, tune in the LSN so the idle drops fast and remains solid for several minutes. If it lowers after sitting for a bit, your still too rich. Lean it and close the idle gap. HSN is tuned on the track. My box tune temps are always around 150-160 is all, dont worry about it, get it good and warm on the box before your qual and make a hot lap or too strapped up and have your pit guy creep in the HSN on the first stop and when you top off for the heat, shouldnt take more than a couple trips to the pits to nail it. Dont panic if it doesnt come in above 200... by the end of the heat it most likely will even rich because you'll be wide open everywhere because it wont "clean out". Club races are timed practice, get it close and finish the tune next heat.

Lean bogs are 99% of the time the HSN too lean, even if you run a super lean LSN it will still accelerate very well with a rich HSN. Tuning is very simple using this method. Your engine will love you and run much cooler than your buddies fat LSN/lean HSN and be just as fast. If your smooth on the gas in the infoeld this tuneup will get you good runtimes and alot of "pop" without getting any deeper than about half throttle on the trigger. Most tracks I race on I dont hit full throttle but a couple times per lap, keeping the HSN needle closed more will increase your fuel mileage a ton.

Rule #1 the idle should never drop lower and lower and lower EVER. If it does lean the LSN and close the idle gap to get a nice low solid idle.

Rule #2 If it bogs or gets hot ALWAYS open the HSN first and start over

This is how I tune anyones engine they bring to me, Tmaxx or Speed doesnt matter.
every engine is a lil different but i agree 100% with Tony on this one

hsn is rev limiter
Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

I can bench tune it perfect every time
Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by pitpop
Ya ya whatever PK
Old 04-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You're the King. Oh wait... You are the King.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manufacturercup

Just tickle the needle ! that is all that is needed many times....I see soo many guys trying to tune 1 hour at a time, which IMO is far too much for many of these engines......I have taught hundreds of people how to tune over the years, even gave many lessons to guys who thought they were experts....I might not have a pile of fancy words, but i can definitely backup everything I am saying 100%.....IMO the biggest problem people have with tuning is they move the needles too much when they make an adjustment..These carbs are insanely sensitive and if someone wants to get the most from an engine they have to tune it with a very soft touch.....1/60th of a turn at a time is all that is needed in many cases...1/12th( or 1 hour ) is too much IMO...

tuning on the starter box is like boxing with your hands at your hips...it works great if your a superstar like Roy Jones Jr...but definitely not the proper technique for the average Joe....
Old 04-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

the lsn on the orion engines is like that, but not the top
Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think you would be considered as elite as elite can get when it comes to tuning ! unfortunately I doubt there are many that can do that same things your able to do.......
Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

I can get any OS based engine pretty close on the bench, cuz I am so used to them and know what it should sound like cold, warm, hot and how that compares to on track performance. Won't be absolutely perfect but will be close enough to not lean bog and not blubbery rich.
Never give me a nova, rb etc as I'll be the 1st to admit, I just don't have the experience with them.