Another Break In Question

Old 03-27-2011, 01:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Another Break In Question

Thoughts on which break in method would provide the most engine longevity:

--Ron's (from Werks Racing) as described on the first page of his B5 thread

--The Heat Cycle method as decribed on page one of the Break In Bible

Just looking for specifics as to why one might provide better results than the other. Just facts gentleman.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Hookem,

I dnt believe there is one Right answer. I think it is more about what you feel comfortable with doing. Rons post is very good and should do the trick for you.

I myself used to bs a driver for Ron Paris. He taught me his heat cycle method. I have been using it for 10 years no issues ever. I have NEVER lost and engine. So I like the heat cycle as it has always worked for me. The only thing I do diffrent is idle one complete tank on the box as fat as it will idle to ensure any particulate is swept away!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I heat cycled my last engine. I got it up to temp and and shut it down after 3 minutes or so and let it cool competly. Did that like 7 or 8 times and then I raced tuned it. My engine runs awesome since doing it that way. That was the best way I have dont it so far and have had great results
Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

whatever break-in method you have the best control over. if you try something new and screw it up it will hurt the engine in the long run. i've always done the cyrul/drake method and recently tried the heat cycle. heat cycle to me just takes too long. out to the garage, heat it up, fire it up drive, shut it down, inside for some ps3.... repeat for 5 tanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Lord

Last weekend we had a clubrace all with the same engine and all had a different brake in proces. The funny thing is that the faster and more experienced drivers were very close to each other so I do not think it makes a huge difference.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

There is no big difference. As long as there is heat in the motor before you start the motor for the first gallon and u keep the high speed needle at a good spot for first gallon motor will last forever and run cooler after full break in...