LOOK at my Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default LOOK at my Pistons

Side by side of

Picco .28 Jl team turbo on the LEFT Picco .28 P3 Pullstart on the RIGHT

The pull start has more than 2 gallons on it, and the turbo has just more than 1. I wouldnt mind the discoloration on the top of the piston if there wasnt the same discoloration on the beginning of the piston skirt.
I cleaned it before re-assembly ,

Any insight as to why 2 identical pistons are not even close.I broke both motors in the same method
Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

piston on the right was run leaner then the one on the left...I can see some signs of scuffing on the rigt side piston from lower lubrication
Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

do you see any concerns for the piston on the left? Maybe a hotter plug? Is this normal?

I dont care about the the piston on the right as much as the left.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

carbon buildup from slightly rich tune, just dont let it get so thick it looks like burnt toast on top. the clean motor looks more like it has air filter leak scrapes on the side of the piston, thats the one i would worry about. sleeve may be scuffed up too causing low compression.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Left/amber: Run slightly hotter, but ok. Castor coloring isn't much worry, but it appears to have been run "on peak" temp wise. Seeing the colorband transfer down the skirt where it is, is not unusual with certain fuels.

The right/clean pullstart... has either had dirt intrusion or been cold-revved while it was lean and as Neal stated; has scoring.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The one on the left looks perfect! The one on the right, you took a picture of the intake side of the piston, that side will hardly ever get a decent color like the exhaust side of the left piston. How does the right one look on the exhaust side? It does have some scratches, like the other guys said, maybe too lean or some dirt got in there. The one on the left is just starting to look really good, I wouldn't clean it ever!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

pull starts usually ingest dirt as they do not seal very effectively

discoloration is no big deal , nothing too worry about but i will agree that you are probably running it a bit warm for the fuel
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think the one on the left looks much better. A little carbon build up can be a good thing.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 AM
Tech Adept

good good, all good info.

the left piston im still trying to figure out the right plug.

the one on the right we have been having issues with.With out changing anything on the tune, it would stall under power.Im thinking a stretched rod, but i never checked hot compression as it always had metal pinch witch is deceiving
Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dburt86
the left piston im still trying to figure out the right plug.
The Picco .28 P3 loves the McCoy MC8 (medium plug). It has been the best of all the plugs I have tried, that being that you have not change the standard button head.

good good, all good info.
+2

the one on the right we have been having issues with.With out changing anything on the tune, it would stall under power.Im thinking a stretched rod, but i never checked hot compression as it always had metal pinch witch is deceiving.
As mentioned earlier it is either a leak causing it to lean or you tune is on the lean side. If you do not fix your tune or leak, the motor will end up in the trash can. Go back to stock settings and retune.

Remember from day to day, enviroment, climate the tune will change. That is why people switch to electric.

Last edited by JoeGuam; 03-15-2011 at 04:05 AM.