Engine suggestions.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Engine suggestions.

Hey all

Well I have a quick question and I know I will get varied results. I am looking to give my son one of my nitro powered RC cars that I do not use anymore. He has never raced RC and I am not sure how much into it he will get. My question revolves around engines.

I am looking to get him an engine that isnt overly powerful. I have 2 RB WS7 engines for myself however they would be way too much for him so I am looking for something that is reliable, holds a tune well and has a pull start on it.

The cars I have are semi complete and just need an engine and TX/RX. I have some servos lying around Hitec digital ones that I keep as spares and another FM (JR xs2) radio. Basically to get another car running just need a decent engine.

Any suggestions on a decent PULL START engine for a buggy (.21 or greater)?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i recommend not getting a pull start, they are very unreliable, and simply just a pain to use.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I agree I think he would get more aggravated with a pull start than anything. Start box is much easier to use.

I would get him a Werks B6 engine. Use a Steel or heavy weight flywheel and light springs on the clutch to tone down the power. Use a smaller carb restrictor to limit the top end. I think both of you will be very happy
Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i recommend not getting a pull start, they are very unreliable, and simply just a pain to use.
yeah, i figured rotostarts went into the pullstart category. My problem is I only have ONE starter box set up for my JQ car and now I cant get either of my hyper cars lined up onto it.

Trying to find ease of use with cost effectiveness because if he does not like it then I didnt spend a fortune on a race engine.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

You could always buy a used starter box and sell it if he doesn't show interest. I know that seems like an aggravation but I think it would be better in the long run. Besides, if you buy an engine with a pull start, what are you going to do with it if he doesn't show interest? I don't see you using it, and it would be very hard to sell. With the B6 you could use it in the future!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
You could always buy a used starter box and sell it if he doesn't show interest. I know that seems like an aggravation but I think it would be better in the long run. Besides, if you buy an engine with a pull start, what are you going to do with it if he doesn't show interest? I don't see you using it, and it would be very hard to sell. With the B6 you could use it in the future!
I like this idea. Guess I am in the market for a used starterbox, werks b6 with steel flywheel
Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wink

That sounds good,maybe I can try this with the wife.I will tell her that i'm buying her a new truggy with all the trimmings,and if she doesn't like it i can use it.I like the way you guys think,hope she buys it.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The fisherman View Post
That sounds good,maybe I can try this with the wife.I will tell her that i'm buying her a new truggy with all the trimmings,and if she doesn't like it i can use it.I like the way you guys think,hope she buys it.
Good luck man!