only as needed/noisy/rough
63.21%
never.. just toss engine in garbage
4.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

new poll.... engine bearings...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default new poll.... engine bearings...

this is a quick easy poll... steel or ceramic?? also when do you change them out??

you also have multiple votes.... you can only voe once but while you vote you can choose several items...

ceramic and 3 gallons
or
steel and never just pitch engine...

if you have any questions pm me and i will try to explain in more detail..

remeber just for fun ... jeremy
Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Tech Champion

I am afraid this does not give a good picture, for sure about Novarossi bearings.

My 1st JP Eagle ceramic is still alive after 20 liter of use while my latest bought model of this engine had 2 times a bearing change in 10 liter of use. And realy, I do change them when I do hear them of get tunings problems.

But it is interesting to see how 3rd party bearings are doing.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I won't use any bearings other than novarossi until they prove worthy again

I would rather use novarossi steel than aftermarket ceramic
Old 03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where

Originally Posted by houston View Post
I won't use any bearings other than novarossi until they prove worthy again

I would rather use novarossi steel than aftermarket ceramic
intresting you say that... can you enlighten us why you like 1 bearing over another?? just to help the guys make a good choice on bearings so they dont have to buy them 2 or 3 times... or get bearings that wont last.. thank you for your input.. jeremy
Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I'll replace if I feel they need it, but I haven't had to change any in my Werks engines.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by J.Whiting View Post
intresting you say that... can you enlighten us why you like 1 bearing over another?? just to help the guys make a good choice on bearings so they dont have to buy them 2 or 3 times... or get bearings that wont last.. thank you for your input.. jeremy
i have seen many aftermarket bearings go bad and destroy the internals of an engine , i have been told a certain company has there bearings fixed but i will not use them until i am satisfied that this is the case .

i think i have seen 2 novarossi steel bearings go bad in the last 6 years ( not counting the old oddball 14.5x26x6x6.3mm) the new 14.5x26x6x6.3mm rear bearings from novarossi are money though

i will not mention any names Jeremy
Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

i have seen many aftermarket bearings go bad and destroy the internals of an engine , i have been told a certain company has there bearings fixed but i will not use them until i am satisfied that this is the case .

i think i have seen 2 novarossi steel bearings go bad in the last 6 years ( not counting the old oddball 14.5x26x6x6.3mm) the new 14.5x26x6x6.3mm rear bearings from novarossi are money though

i will not mention any names Jeremy
nope all good.. dont want names mentioned either.. just was wondering why you like a certain brand over another.... but yes i have had several stock and aftermarket bearing balls break.. and yes you know the out come.. not very good.... the more info put down on these pages the members can make better choices for there purchases.. which will make there race day better in the long run.. jeremy
Old 03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

That's why I think Monty should mention the name of these aftermarket bearings. Monty if you know something I don't, and it could save me a 300 engine, please share. It's information like this that doesn't get out and causes problems for other consumers.
I know some people frown on public criticism of peoples products but IMO they need addressing.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
That's why I think Monty should mention the name of these aftermarket bearings. Monty if you know something I don't, and it could save me a 300 engine, please share. It's information like this that doesn't get out and causes problems for other consumers.
I know some people frown on public criticism of peoples products but IMO they need addressing.
very true...but only to state your facts..not your opinion on something you havent tried....i am on my first round of TKO ceramics in my Go GX5R and i have about a gallon or more on them...they do let the motor spin a bit more free...but as far as longevity..they seem like they last as long as the steels do and probably not much longer....i have always just ran the steel bearings and thought they were just fine.I can usually get about 4 gallons out of steel bearings before I FEEL i want to change them, just to be safe...and i will do the same with my TKO's.......my 2 cents
Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Let me just say I am very particular about engine bearings, if I have been bitten in the ass by a certain brand, no more will I use or recommend that brand.

It has nothing to do with any personal conflicts whatsoever, it is strictly based on the quality or lack of

I see people try to bag on novarossi bearings and to me that says they dont know what they are talking about as they are very very good bearings, the key is in the metals of the races. Having top notch balls does help also, I just said balls,

Last edited by houston; 03-04-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Let me just say I am very particular about engine bearings, if I have been bitten in the ass by a certain brand, no more will I use or recommend that brand.

It has nothing to do with any personal conflicts whatsoever, it is strictly based on the quality or lack of

I see people try to bag on novarossi bearings and to me that says they dont know what they are talking about as they are very very good bearings, the key is on the metals of the races. Having top notch balls does help also, I just said balls,
Old 03-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I only use ceramic bearings in my muffler
Old 03-05-2011, 03:57 AM
Tech Champion

the key is in the metals of the races.
From what was explained to me they probably have decide to use more chrome inside the material to make it more fuel resistant but it does make it softer.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I tend to run Novarossi bearings and have never had one fail or leak.

Ran a +4C for 10 gallons untouched on Byron's. The whole engine is basically dead, but it still runs ok.

I'll ask the blunt question...has anyone had a TKO ceramic rear bearing fail?

I've seen all brands of bearings fail, generally from being skated while the engine is cold. Meaning, firing the engine and going WOT without any operating temp and *lean*. Dirt intrusion from improper filtration and carelessness is the next thing that kills them.

Last edited by mblgjr; 03-05-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mblgjr View Post
I tend to run Novarossi bearings and have never had one fail or leak.

Ran a +4C for 10 gallons untouched on Byron's. The whole engine is basically dead, but it still runs ok.

I'll ask the blunt question...has anyone had a TKO ceramic rear bearing fail?

I've seen all brands of bearings fail, generally from being skated while the engine is cold. Meaning, firing the engine and going WOT without any operating temp and *lean*. Dirt intrusion from improper filtration and carelessness is the next thing that kills them.
I had a rear one fail in a p5 awhile ago,Ugly sure ruined my race day.Never had a problem with my plus-4c 11 gallons of byrons and the front bearing never leaked a drop. Yes nova bearings are not cheap but you get what you pay for !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.