Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Whats the best Truggy .28 motor? >

Whats the best Truggy .28 motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the best Truggy .28 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mgtmadness2007
I currently run a GRP .28 Speed Tuned in my SC8. I really like the GRP engine runs good. I cannot wait to find out how it runs in the SC8.
Have an SC8 too. Would love to see some video of yours with the GRP...
Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Os 25 is THE BEST in this situation, easy tune long life and far more reliable then the 28s they have out, I'm a nova fan n I remember there 28 left me saying it sucked, os 28 I couldnt keep my drivetrain together but it was amazing on track but it went back in it's box after it ate up a diff 3rd day out, thats just 28s tho, the 25 hit the spot, good run times good power and easy tune so it has my vote. Now I gotta get rid of my 28+rebuild kit I waist to much money.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
Os 25 is THE BEST in this situation, easy tune long life and far more reliable then the 28s they have out, I'm a nova fan n I remember there 28 left me saying it sucked, os 28 I couldnt keep my drivetrain together but it was amazing on track but it went back in it's box after it ate up a diff 3rd day out, thats just 28s tho, the 25 hit the spot, good run times good power and easy tune so it has my vote. Now I gotta get rid of my 28+rebuild kit I waist to much money.
OS 25 is a great running engine. Not sure abt longevity though.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by j_blaze14
came in 3rd in your first ever club race and you want to change motors already? who had the fewest wrecks? motors don't win races.
I did, guess that paid off. I thought if I drive a bit more carefull in the race than in qualifying and practice, it should go ok.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great info, thanks guys, I have learned allot I appreciate every input. So is it safe to assume the dealer that was trying to sell me a .28 for racing wasnt guving me all the info? A good .25 or something like a OS Ninja will suffice it seems. Considering the plan is to race and not bash.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave1GP
Great info, thanks guys, I have learned allot I appreciate every input. So is it safe to assume the dealer that was trying to sell me a .28 for racing wasnt guving me all the info? A good .25 or something like a OS Ninja will suffice it seems. Considering the plan is to race and not bash.
Just curious.....they let you guys mix .28 and .21 engines in the same class? I thought comp racing was strictly limited to .21 engines?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Just curious.....they let you guys mix .28 and .21 engines in the same class? I thought comp racing was strictly limited to .21 engines?
Buggies only .21
Truggies anything from .21-.28
Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hey

What about getting that .25 OS motor modded....? That might be awesome....
Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave1GP
Buggies only .21
Truggies anything from .21-.28
I assume this is depending on the local establishment? Because here they only let .21's run in both buggy and truggy class.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[
Originally Posted by merdith6
What about getting that .25 OS motor modded....? That might be awesome....
I have AB modded OS.25 on my MBX6T and it is outstanding. I had ran .21's in the Truggy but when I was given a chance to run other Japan racers OS .25 setup and I decided with the OS 25. The torque is better and the straights were just as good as compaired to the .21's. I have measured up against other Buggy with 21's with identical speed down the straights. I wish my driving skill was up to par with them but it is not the case so the .25 is helping. Practice, practice, practice for me. The fuel economy is better with .21's but not too far off.

These are races of two Amreicans racing in Japan. We have gone to Adam because of the proven performance, price, turnaround time, support, knowleadge. I have had numerous mods from others but he is a standout and not conceited. He is very humble and honest.

AB Race Mod OS .25, 6 months race experience but I try.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

AB Race Mod Ninja This guy is awesome with control and now a track buddy.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

AB Drag Mod Picco .28
+ YouTube Video

Last edited by JoeGuam; 03-08-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Videos were added
Old 03-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

That AB race mod OS.25 sure looks cool. Thanks for the clips.
Any AB Mods contact details , e mail perhaps?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'll put my vote in on a OS 25....

here is my 25 having some fun...had to run Badland tires to get some traction..The engine is really fast and gets excellent mileage..

+ YouTube Video

edit.. I should add tho that this engine makes quite a bit of power..with normal race tires it struggles for traction..even on somewhat of a poor tune the engine just lights up regular race tires...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOFNL...eature=related
Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ntrain42
I assume this is depending on the local establishment? Because here they only let .21's run in both buggy and truggy class.
That's going by ROAR rules. Buggies are up to .21 engines. Truggies up to .28 engines. Most everyone runs .21's in both. No need for anything bigger in any way unless you just want to have some fun with all out power. For racing anything over a .21 is pointless.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
That's going by ROAR rules. Buggies are up to .21 engines. Truggies up to .28 engines. Most everyone runs .21's in both. No need for anything bigger in any way unless you just want to have some fun with all out power. For racing anything over a .21 is pointless.
Maybe on the loose tracks your used to...but over here the surface can get quite sticky and many .21's will labor out of the corners in a Truggy......IMO the .28's didn't have the RPM i liked, but this new .25 is a really good blend of power and RPM..... Gotta remember not all track surfaces are the same, an engine that feels like a total Animal on a Motorama type surface can feel like a big ole slug on a high bite sticky track.......If you race on loose surfaces you can use a really soft engine, but if you race on the sticky stuff you need an engine with some balls....Its amazing really how different certain engines can feel going from a loose surface to a sticky surface........
Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Maybe on the loose tracks your used to...but over here the surface can get quite sticky and many .21's will labor out of the corners in a Truggy......IMO the .28's didn't have the RPM i liked, but this new .25 is a really good blend of power and RPM..... Gotta remember not all track surfaces are the same, an engine that feels like a total Animal on a Motorama type surface can feel like a big ole slug on a high bite sticky track.......If you race on loose surfaces you can use a really soft engine, but if you race on the sticky stuff you need an engine with some balls....Its amazing really how different certain engines can feel going from a loose surface to a sticky surface........
I run on ultra high traction all the time and I've never needed anything more than a stock .21 in my truggy. I'm actually not used to loose tracks. I'm more used to high traction...

I'm also not the type of driver that is power hungry. I don't like to pull on it a lot. But honestly I've never needed more power than I get with .21's. That's pretty much the general opinion among truggy racers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.