R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   Engine has no compression... Please help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/482710-engine-has-no-compression-please-help.html)

SDelaney 02-15-2011 07:43 PM

Engine has no compression... Please help

I just got a used RTR Losi 8ight T 2.0 and fired it up today to make sure everything ran fine. After letting it idle for 1-2 minutes I drove it around the yard, not hard though.

I pulled up to me to check the temp and it instantly stalled, which was odd because it idled well before. Then I noticed the high needle stem was loose and there appeared to be gas on chasis around the motor. I assumed this came from the needle so I tighed that down and went to fire it up again.

No luck, wouldn't turn over. I took it off the starter box to spin the flywheel when I noticed the flywheel never got tight. What would be the cause of this? Could the engine have blown??? It's the stock 454 that comes with the truggy.

Please help with possible problem solving tips.

houston 02-15-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by SDelaney (Post 8659828)
I just got a used RTR Losi 8ight T 2.0 and fired it up today to make sure everything ran fine. After letting it idle for 1-2 minutes I drove it around the yard, not hard though.

I pulled up to me to check the temp and it instantly stalled, which was odd because it idled well before. Then I noticed the high needle stem was loose and there appeared to be gas on chasis around the motor. I assumed this came from the needle so I tighed that down and went to fire it up again.

No luck, wouldn't turn over. I took it off the starter box to spin the flywheel when I noticed the flywheel never got tight. What would be the cause of this? Could the engine have blown??? It's the stock 454 that comes with the truggy.

Did you make sure the pplug is tight ?

SDelaney 02-15-2011 07:59 PM

Yep. I took the head off just now and it looks good - I can see the piston come up and then down.

Sein 02-15-2011 07:59 PM

Try and post pictures so we can see the problem. The fuel could come from a few places. Just chase it down slowly. Are you sure its from the engine? Also, With the 454's the are hard to start once the engine warms up. Once my engines get to temp; I pretty much have to hold the throttle wide open to get it to fire again. That happens because the carb on our engines is not insulated. Once you get it running it all good though.

If I were you I would pull the engine out and examine everything. THe clutch, clutch bell, make sure the fly wheel nut is tight, check engine bearings, all that good stuff. Do you know how many gallons were run on that engine?

SDelaney 02-15-2011 08:16 PM

Not sure exact, but he said less than 3 gallons as he only had if for 8 months and 3 of those it sat on the shelf.

The fuels doesn't bother me right now as much as the fact there is 0 pinch on the engine... What does that mean? I can get a pic, but the high needle was loose. I went to richen it and i saw the whole valve spin, not the needle screw. So I am almost positive that was where the leak was, but that has since been corrected.

This stinks... Would the clutch and all that have any impact on compression? I didn't think it would. My 5 year old could spin this fly wheel, there is no compression on it at all.:(

deadmancourt 02-15-2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by SDelaney (Post 8659828)

does the motor still turn over on the box?...or does the flywheel jsut spin?...
Check out RcRenew.com. he can do wonders for your motor:nod:;)

SDelaney 02-15-2011 08:24 PM

I believe it just spins. Origionally I thought that fuel got on it and it was just slipping. Then I spun it with my hand to see and it just kept spinning and spinning.

deadmancourt 02-15-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SDelaney (Post 8660093)
I believe it just spins. Origionally I thought that fuel got on it and it was just slipping. Then I spun it with my hand to see and it just kept spinning and spinning.

take off your clutch bell and bearings and see if the clutch nut is tight( the bolt that holds your flywheel on your crank)....if it is tight, then remove it and the flywheel and check your flywheel collet( little gold cone behind the flywheel) if that gets worn, the flywheel will just spin and the motor will not ;)

Sein 02-15-2011 08:30 PM

So the flywheel just spin or the crankshaft? If it just the flywheel you just need to take off the clutch bell and tighten down the flywheel nut. If its the crankshaft then that engine has more than 3 gallons on it. I just ran over 6 gallons and the piston was still pushing the sleeve out of the crankcase at TDC.

SDelaney 02-15-2011 08:35 PM

By spinning the flywheel I can see the piston come up and down with the heat sync off.. So I believe that means the crankshaft is spinning and the clutch is not loose, correct?

deadmancourt 02-15-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by SDelaney (Post 8660145)
By spinning the flywheel I can see the piston come up and down with the heat sync off.. So I believe that means the crankshaft is spinning and the clutch is not loose, correct?

correct... RcRenew.com can make it brand new again...for really cheap;)

Sein 02-15-2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by SDelaney (Post 8660145)

Correct. And with the head on and glow plug in if there is no compression then it needs a pinch. It's only about 15 to 20 bucks and it can be like new or close to it.

deadmancourt 02-15-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sein (Post 8660165)
Correct. And with the head on and glow plug in if there is no compression then it needs a pinch. It's only about 15 to 20 bucks and it can be like new or close to it.

oh yeah...make sure the glow plug is in it;)...it will not have any compression with the glowplug out and the head off....if everything is on and still no compression...just send it in and get a pinch

SDelaney 02-15-2011 08:41 PM

Damn, so no doubt about it then you think... It needs a pinch. Could it have happened because the high needle valve was loose and leaking fuel, hence less fuel getting to motor to cool it off?

Sein 02-15-2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by SDelaney (Post 8660180)
Damn, so no doubt about it then you think... It needs a pinch. Could it have happened because the high needle valve was loose and leaking fuel, hence less fuel getting to motor to cool it off?

No that's not why it happened. That has happened to me before and a lot worse, but I am still using the same engine. It's just wore out that's all. What is cool though 454's are cheap on ebay 100 to 130 all day brand new. If you want a better engine for a good price you can get the dynamite .24xp. You can get them for around 100 or so, ebay.