Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
OS FS26S-C 4-stroke development >

OS FS26S-C 4-stroke development

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree64Likes

OS FS26S-C 4-stroke development

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After a month of waiting, a tiny but crucial bit of progress:

I sent the crankshaft from my FS-40S-CX to a machinist who's done work for me several times in the past, and I asked him to grind-down the last 5mm of the crankshaft from an 8mm diameter to a 7mm diameter. This will allow a normal nitro flywheel collet to fit the crankshaft.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Hey, right on! Should be pretty slick. Keep us updated, so this thread keeps going. I've been running mine quite often and have also made changes but I have neglected to update this thread.
I'll have to take some pics...ect when I get a chance.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

The other major obstacle is the need for a custom-CNCed engine mount. I needed to get the crankshaft modded first though, so I could fit a flywheel, clutch, and bell to the engine so I could see how the engine would line-up with the rest of the chassis. I'll have to learn 3D CAD to design the engine mount, because I have so much spare time with a full-time job and a pregnant girlfriend.

Quick question regarding camshaft timing: There's a small nick on the side of the camshaft that is clearly used for properly aligning the camshaft and crankshaft. I think that nick is supposed to point directly at the pushrods when then crankshaft is at TDC. Am I correct about this?
Old 08-05-2018, 05:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
The other major obstacle is the need for a custom-CNCed engine mount. I needed to get the crankshaft modded first though, so I could fit a flywheel, clutch, and bell to the engine so I could see how the engine would line-up with the rest of the chassis. I'll have to learn 3D CAD to design the engine mount, because I have so much spare time with a full-time job and a pregnant girlfriend.

Quick question regarding camshaft timing: There's a small nick on the side of the camshaft that is clearly used for properly aligning the camshaft and crankshaft. I think that nick is supposed to point directly at the pushrods when then crankshaft is at TDC. Am I correct about this?
Yeah, at TDC the line points straight up the pushrods.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Btw man, you do know there are universal engine mounts out there, right? Just need to drill holes in the chassis.

Like this one:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F23 2804277842
Old 08-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Nope, I had no idea that product existed. Wouldn't that design make it impossible to adjust the engine position for different-size pinion gears, though? You'd have to drill new holes each time.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Of course not. When I said drill holes I meant slots.. like the factory setup.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:29 PM
Tech Champion

Duh. Right. Well, it's an option anyway, if designing a custom engine mount turns out to be too much trouble.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

A tiny bit of progress:

The clutch fit just like it would on any other engine, no tweaking necessary. Unfortunately I probably won't have time to finish this project before D-Day, but at least one of the two big hurdles is done.

Interestingly, this engine is actually less tall than a TRX 3.3. It is much, much longer, however.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Looks great. Do you have a clutch bell that will reach to cover the shoes? The Buku usually comes with a nut to use. That pilot shaft youre using sticks out past the shoes.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

Losi 2-speed clutch bells fit with no modification, though they are slightly larger-diameter than I think these shoes are designed for, and I only need a single pinion gear anyway. HPI clutch bells are a little too short, but I can shave down the butt-end of the pilot shaft to make an HPI clutch bell fit. I've done that once before already, on my HPI Bullet that has a Losi 3.4 engine in it. I stupidly attempted to tap the crankshaft in that engine a little deeper, broke the tap in the crankshaft, and had to cut off the end of the crankshaft and install a pilot shaft instead.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Losi 2-speed clutch bells fit with no modification, though they are slightly larger-diameter than I think these shoes are designed for, and I only need a single pinion gear anyway. HPI clutch bells are a little too short, but I can shave down the butt-end of the pilot shaft to make an HPI clutch bell fit. I've done that once before already, on my HPI Bullet that has a Losi 3.4 engine in it. I stupidly attempted to tap the crankshaft in that engine a little deeper, broke the tap in the crankshaft, and had to cut off the end of the crankshaft and install a pilot shaft instead.
Cool man, looking forward to more updates. It should be a beast. I've got quite a bit of four stroke goodness going on too, I need to do an update here soon.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Update

So I was on vacation there for a while so I wasn’t able to get much done but just before I left I got my bump box. I bought a used ofna pink box, I lucked out and got it for I think $30 shipped if I remember correctly. I had to rewire the whole thing though because the current gague wire couldn’t handle the 4s power. I got the engine primed up well and tried to fire it. I finally got it to fire but it seemed to only be a few revolutions. It seemed that the engine wasn’t getting any fuel because the carb was just dumping fuel all over the chassis. So I turned the intake header upside down and put the TRX 2.5 carb on. I tried again and got it to run for a few seconds but it died again. But before I got it to run and now after the carb is spitting fuel back out like the timing is off or something. I checked the valve clearance and it was fine. I can’t figure out what the issue is. Also does anyone have any idea what I should set the high and low speed needles to on he carb? I’m worried that I may not be gettin enough fuel and I obviously don’t want to kill the engine. And finally does anyone know where to get replacement wheels for the ofna pink box. I cannot find any anywhere, and although mine is in good shape, it’s eventually gonna wear out. Thanks
Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by timjs
Cool man, looking forward to more updates. It should be a beast. I've got quite a bit of four stroke goodness going on too, I need to do an update here soon.
You've got more than one of these engines, right? I've got a FS-40S-CX and a FS-20; the FS-20 is basically useless to me because it's bump-start only and it has an airplane-spec valvetrain. The only reason I bought it is because it was the first one I was actually able to get my hands on.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Broloff28
So I was on vacation there for a while so I wasn’t able to get much done but just before I left I got my bump box. I bought a used ofna pink box, I lucked out and got it for I think $30 shipped if I remember correctly. I had to rewire the whole thing though because the current gague wire couldn’t handle the 4s power. I got the engine primed up well and tried to fire it. I finally got it to fire but it seemed to only be a few revolutions. It seemed that the engine wasn’t getting any fuel because the carb was just dumping fuel all over the chassis. So I turned the intake header upside down and put the TRX 2.5 carb on. I tried again and got it to run for a few seconds but it died again. But before I got it to run and now after the carb is spitting fuel back out like the timing is off or something. I checked the valve clearance and it was fine. I can’t figure out what the issue is. Also does anyone have any idea what I should set the high and low speed needles to on he carb? I’m worried that I may not be gettin enough fuel and I obviously don’t want to kill the engine. And finally does anyone know where to get replacement wheels for the ofna pink box. I cannot find any anywhere, and although mine is in good shape, it’s eventually gonna wear out. Thanks
What engine? Four stroke? If so, they will run backwards off fuel in the exhaust and blow fuel out of the carb for a couple seconds. Mine did this before I had enough flywheel weight.
You've got more than one of these engines, right? I've got a FS-40S-CX and a FS-20; the FS-20 is basically useless to me because it's bump-start only and it has an airplane-spec valvetrain. The only reason I bought it is because it was the first one I was actually able to get my hands on.
Fs62v in my truggy.
Here a link to a video. https://youtu.be/p-A5QFQ1CT0

Its faster now than in the video.
My other project uses an airplane spec fs26s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.