Methonal instead of Nitro Fuel

Old 01-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Methonal instead of Nitro Fuel

Does anyone run methonal instead of nitro for their fuel and if so can you give me any info on it?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

all fuel has a larger percentage of methonol in it. For instance, Byrons 20% nitro fuel contains 20% nitro, 16% oil and the rest is methonol.

Scott
Old 01-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Methanol

I saw the Torco 100% methanol online and it is almost 10 cheaper just wondering if it is as good as nitro and will it damage my engine?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

100% methonol would ruin the engine, needs to have lubricant in it.

Scott
Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lord2405 View Post
I saw the Torco 100% methanol online and it is almost 10 cheaper just wondering if it is as good as nitro and will it damage my engine?
Performance would not be nearly as good without the nitro in it and also needs oil for lubrication.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Methanol

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

i think he is refering to not using any nitro but instead using all methanol for the ignition source .

it works just fine but the performance will not quite be there
Old 01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Methanol

I saw the Torco 100% methanol rc fuel it say it has lubricant in it but if the performance is not their i'll pass
Old 01-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

dude i dont think that is to running your vehicle(well you can if you want to)... thats just incase you want mix your own fuel.... i think
Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Pure methanol and oil won´t work in pro engines. If you try, you have to use very hot plugs, increased compression ratio and really run the car very hard. Otherwise the engine loads up (especially the midrange is horrible). You can't run it properly on a track, because you needs to get up in max RPM all the time, and that's impossible in the slower parts on every tracks.

I tried it at one race in 2009 with a old borrowed RB WS7 engine. OS F (four stroke) plug and no nitro in the fuel. Engine ran actually really great (no load up). +30 % longer runtime vs 25% nitro but the costs of blown plugs (and maybe ruined engines) is not worth it.
A month later the owner tried no nitro fuel and the engine ran horrible. The "only" thing he changed was the oil. Instead of my mix with 14% AeroSynth3 oil, he used 15% pure castor.

I've tried no and low nitro percent on 4 other engines without any luck, so I stick to 16 to 20% nitro in my car fuel.

Last edited by Lille-bror; 01-22-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Almost every aspect of an ABC engine, from compression ratio to the intake an exhaust port timing, is based on the fuel the engine is designed to run. Most off-road engines that I've seen are designed to run fuel with 20% nitro content. Almost every manufacturer will state this in their manuals. For instance, if memory serves me well in the manual for my Orion Alpha MTE it specifies fuel in the 16% - 20% range. Thus I run Nitrotane 20% Race Formula.

The only engines I've seen designed to run with 0% nitro content fuels are those in the model airplane or helo market. Some of the sanctioning organizations such as FAI (the IFMAR of the airplane world) specify that competitors must use 0% nitromethane.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Signal151 View Post
Almost every aspect of an ABC engine, from compression ratio to the intake an exhaust port timing, is based on the fuel the engine is designed to run. Most off-road engines that I've seen are designed to run fuel with 20% nitro content. Almost every manufacturer will state this in their manuals. For instance, if memory serves me well in the manual for my Orion Alpha MTE it specifies fuel in the 16% - 20% range. Thus I run Nitrotane 20% Race Formula.

The only engines I've seen designed to run with 0% nitro content fuels are those in the model airplane or helo market. Some of the sanctioning organizations such as FAI (the IFMAR of the airplane world) specify that competitors must use 0% nitromethane.
i think most of the manufacturers really recommend the lower nitro content as to bypass any warranty system . lets say they recommend X% nitro and you run X+% nitro , warranty void !!! ( not implying that any nitro micromotor has any warranty but) . also most engines will see a longer life with the right amount of oil and nitro fuel by a good margin .

and i absolutely agree that engines today are based on the fuel they run as far as how far they can push the envelope of the performance there is more but is it really needed???
Old 01-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Signal151 View Post

?helis run best on 30% nitro fuel and the higher oil content the better,for instance i run 30%nitro with 24% oil content. the lower the nitro content the less power the motor will make ,ive tried 15% nitro and my heli's motor didnt like it one bit.