Semi Noob to Nitro (again)

Old 01-22-2011, 02:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Semi Noob to Nitro (again)

Hi! Im John, I live in southeast Louisiana. I just got in an order of a pair of Nitro RC toys. One for me, and one for my nephew. Its his birthday present. I went to NitroRCX and got them there. For me I have a 1/8th MadStorm truck with the .28 engine. For my nephew, I got him the 1/16th ThunderFire truck with the 7 SH engine. Little bitty thing!

Here's the deal....I dont want to give him a truck he cant play with. I've primed both, and mine starts and idles perfectly fine. It will be a breeze to break in. The little .07 engine will NOT run. It seems to burn whats in the carb out, and thats it. a FEW times I watched the fuel line and noticed air bubbles. So, any help on the issue at hand?

Also, I am running 10% nitro. Is this good, or should I bump it to 20% after a while?

I used to have an hpi rs4 back in the day, and used to have rc planes n things, so Im not a total noob, just been out of it for a while and I wanna come back with ease.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

don't really know much about .07 engines. but having bubbles in the line is common. sounds like the carb might not be getting good fuel if it runs off whats in the carb and then dies. if it's not idleing at all check that the idle screw setting has the carb open a little. also check that the fuel line does not have a hole.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

not the most safe idea, but i pull both fuel and pressure lines off slightly blow into the pressure line (while holding the fuel line) until a good stream of fuel with little or no bubbles comes out. Then pinch the fuel line off with your fingers to stop the flow and reinsert the lines onto the nipples. this should expel the air. Now to get pressure to the carb, you can plug the exhaust stinger with you finger and crank the engine over a few times. Heat the glow plug and give her a try. Also im not sure on the nitro % for that engine so check ur manual or with the manufacturer.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Worked on it, found a few lil things. The inlet for the pressure from the exhaust wasnt going into the tank. On the bottom side of the flip top lid, it just wasnt punched thru, so I took a small drill bit, and punched it thru. Also i backed out a little on the low end screw and she came to. Idled about 3/4ths of a tank thru. Still a pain to deal with. My .28 is almost ready to tear up things. She's a nice runner.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome man! Glad to hear it!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Got em both running and able to be played with a lil bit. Im on tank 7 or 8ish and its still not as strong as I would like it to be. But I havent done much tuning to it yet. The little 1/16th is cute, I give it that. Its faster than the walmart little electrics, but its still not too quick, in my opinion. BUT, BUT, the best thing about it in all honesty, Justin (nephew) is excited as hell and loves it. He hasnt shut up about it yet. He's only 11, and I thought he'd love it, but not this much, so for that, I'm happy.

Now, onto what I have. I bought (from NitroRCX) a MadStorm, .28 Truck. What are my limitations? I should be able to swap the engine to a higher performance model, right? Im not gonna do it yet, as I think the current engine is okay, but down the road I may want it quicker.