Glow Plug woes

Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default Glow Plug woes

Hi all,

Fairly new to this...I have bought a Traxxas Slayer Pro in the last month. 5 mins run time equals 1 hour working on it. Who new you could go from $500 to $1000 in a month!

I have gone through 7 glow plugs on this traxxas 3.3 engine. Everyone keeps saying to lean...well - NO. We race MX - I understand lean. I have even made it more rich to protect them - still have probs.

It will NOT start and run. I have to gas it up while the EZ start is spinning and rip it away on the throttle or it just dies. Also when I hit the brakes and lose RPM it usually dies too...

3 weeks ago - I would have said WOOHOO!!!! Now I say TAKE IT!!!

I just enquired with another user here who is selling some glow plugs as my LHS told me Hot Plugs (3 for EZ Starter and 6 for Glow Plug Igniter - Cause I hate that EZ start!)

He suggested Medium plugs.....

Can someone please help ??

Thanks

Last edited by gofastorgohome; 11-22-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default dont get frustrated

ok.. lets start with the glow plug problem..when you pull the glow plug out what does it look like? Is the idler bar ( little piece of wire that is connected to the bottom of plug) still in tact? If its melted or missing or black..to lean. If the bottom of the plug is really really wet it is too rich. Glow plugs will tell you whats wrong. Ok next is the stalling problem, if you have to give it gas in order to keep it running the idle isnt set correctly. Take off the air filter so you can see down into the carb. Idle screw should be next to the LSN. Set the gap about the size of a side of a credit card to start with. You just want it to just run thats it...if the clutch is catching at idle back it off a little. Ok another thing..hows the motor running while it is running? LOTS of smoke and gas blowing out the pipe? Bogging? Chattering? Just dont get frustrated man, just a few tweaks it'll be your favorite hobby.. Let me know how it goes
Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Default oops

Oh yeah almost forgot, make sure you set BOTH needles back to stock settings to make sure they are close to where there suppose to be before messing with the idle.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tweaks...

LEd Finger - you have the patience of a JEDI!

This is what surprised me - all of the wires are there. What actually casues a glow plug to not work? How can it be "on" but not "hot". Is it becasue I am running the "Hot" plugs and should be using milder ones?

I will set LS and Idle back to factory. I also don't really understand the LS needle....

Yes sometimes the plugs are wet. It seems to have enough smoke out the pipe, but it does leave gas behind as well sometimes. The only "sputtering" is when trying to start - then I just punch it and rip it away (as stated in first post)

It defintley dies when the brakes are applied and the speed goes close to zero.

Thanks again...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gofastorgohome View Post
It defintley dies when the brakes are applied and the speed goes close to zero.

Thanks again...
I think you have answered the problem there in your last post. The clutch should dis engage with the clutch bell when you apply the brakes. You need to get the engine out and check the clutch shoes and springs and check the bearings in the clutch bell. Also make sure that when the screw that holds the clutch bell on is tight that the clutch bell does not rotate the flywheel due to binding. Then you will be able to get a tune on the engine.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Found a problem

Told you I was new, the little spring around the shoes "looked" OK, but was actually broken.

Now I'll try this tuning business....
Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Also check the carb when you hit the brakes making sure the carb does not move in when idle, nor closes.
If the linkage is not set correctly and you hit the brakes, I have seen where the carb will close, or move in when at idle.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

You can check on youtube on how to tune your engine correctly. Check this out hopefully it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOZiU265FKE
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default use the force skywalker

ok for me when I ran a trx3.3 in my revo I always used trx3232x plugs with it.. nothing else. Now the difference in hot and cold plugs. In general, the "hotter" the plug, the richer the mixture can be at idle and the engine will continue to operate. The "colder" the plug, the mixture will need to be leaned out in order to operate properly. Ok what this means to me is that when I break in a new motor I will use a hot plug because I want the motor to stay running as it is really really rich. After break in I put in a cold plug/med plug so I can tune it for power. Has this motor been broken in? Are you using the ezstart to light the plug? Ok on to the LSN, traxxas put it best as to think of it as a water hose.. the HSN is the "faucet" and the LSN is spray handle. You get the flow of water (gas) that you want with the faucet (hsn) then you fine tune the stream of water (gas) with the handle LSN. The LSN should only (most of the time) be messed with after the HSN is set.. (or close).. very very small turns at a time 1/2hr to an hour. Just like your garden hose. I hope i didnt lose you on all that.