over heating!!!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default over heating!!!!!

I have a force .26 on my buggy, This motor has a little over a gallon thru it. runs great but over heats (280 to 300) most of the time my hsn is at almost two turns out from stock and still gets hot. I have sealed the engine good, broke it in very carefully, all of that. any help would be great. I would love to just get a different engine but cant afford to drop $200 to $300 on one right now.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you really sure it's running hot? Check that temp gun with a pot of boiling water. Aim at the water just befor it boiles and right when it does. Remember, smoke and sound tells more than a cheep temp gun. And some just run hot until it's broke in. Does the motor have a mid-range screw? Check on the OFNA web site for how to set it. And start saving up for a new one. There's a lot of good one's for around 200. Don't think it will last over 4-5 gals. This hobby is alot of fun but you got to throw the flow to stay in. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Sealing the engine is good but make sure you exhaust has no leaks make sure the coupler is a tight fit tothe header and the spring for the header is tight.

Grab another temp gauge and see if you get the same results?

Hows the smoke are you seeing fuel drip from the pipe people tune against a temp gun great for after a long b or a main but if your getting good smoke dont worry.

Call Ofna and ask them what the normal temp should be for a good tune some motor run HOT some run NOT so hot it all depend like Alpha these engines run hot doesn't necessary mean its a bad thing its just the dynamics of the mill.

Smoke is key and TUNE is the most important part this will dictate your temp if your running lean then you motor will have very little smoke and the engine will run hotter then normal fat (Rich) low temps and the engine will BOG and not perform but if your Mills is new running rich for a gallon is recommended since extra oil is very important.

You should have a small blue trail after take off a good test get the motor to temp 2" away from the fuel inlet pinch the fuel line motor should run for 5-6 sec and die
Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Tech Adept

Smile be patient

Went through this same thing this summer, breaking in a picco. I was so worried about temps and cooking my motor,i ingnored all else. I was told to throw the temp gun away and tuned by smoke and sound. this was after a rough 1st gallon of fuel. @ the 1.5 gallon mark it just changed pitch and had a little less smoke and was running the best it ever had. finished the tank brought it in, after it cooled pulled the glow plug and rolled the motor over by hand. it had finally lost its mechanical pinch! back on the track got it warm checked temps and it was running about 40 degrees cooler. hope this helps and good luck
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Tech Rookie

I didnt take my temp gun out this weekend just used sound, smoke, and spit test I didnt change anything but the lsn just a tadd and it runs great. the spit test and the color of the glow plug say its still a little to lean but it runs great so I will leave it at that. Thanks for the help, now I just need to rent a bobcat and work on my track again.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 AM
Tech Rookie

If you do have a small amount of oil coming out of the exhaust is that a bad thing or just a little to rich? by small I mean that if I let it idle in my garage for a few minutes I notice about 20 or so very small specks of oil on the floor.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dave.540 View Post
I didnt take my temp gun out this weekend just used sound, smoke, and spit test I didnt change anything but the lsn just a tadd and it runs great. the spit test and the color of the glow plug say its still a little to lean but it runs great so I will leave it at that. Thanks for the help, now I just need to rent a bobcat and work on my track again.
a glow plug older then 2-5 tanks wont show you the tune, chuck in a new one and do two tanks. then look at it.