Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
This may be a noob question???? >

This may be a noob question????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This may be a noob question????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Cool This may be a noob question????

Why does it always seem that the crank pin always wears before the brass in the connecting rod? The cranks made out of steel, and the con rod is made out of aluminum w/ brass inserts........ Just blows my mind! Is there a reason for this? I'm very mechanically inclined, and I just don't understand it!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Jomo918
Why does it always seem that the crank pin always wears before the brass in the connecting rod? The cranks made out of steel, and the con rod is made out of aluminum w/ brass inserts........ Just blows my mind! Is there a reason for this? I'm very mechanically inclined, and I just don't understand it!
it normally doesent! you must be running OS motors.......LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by inferno13
it normally doesent! you must be running OS motors.......LOL
It was actually on a go 5port, and a reedy 121vr I had.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Suspended

It was actually on a go 5port, and a reedy 121vr I had.
out of all he motors ive had (and thats a ton!) ive never wore a crank pin. helps to replace rod after breakin as recommended by most companies, main thing that causes crank pin wear is play in conrod.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

out of all he motors ive had (and thats a ton!) ive never wore a crank pin. helps to replace rod after breakin as recommended by most companies, main thing that causes crank pin wear is play in conrod.
Well I had the GO and it developed a little slop, so I pulled the the engine apart and put a new rod in and the slop was still there! So I pulled the crank out and mic'd it and it was fatter at the base of the pin and thinner at the tip, so I bought a new crank and the old rod fit nice and snug like it was a brand new engine! Just couldn't believe it! both the GO and reedy were used motors so who knows how they were broke in. Every motor I've broke in has not had any issues. Just wondering if this was a common thing or just flukes! I have heard OS having an issue with crank pins, but so far my speed is good!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Suspended

Well I had the GO and it developed a little slop, so I pulled the the engine apart and put a new rod in and the slop was still there! So I pulled the crank out and mic'd it and it was fatter at the base of the pin and thinner at the tip, so I bought a new crank and the old rod fit nice and snug like it was a brand new engine! Just couldn't believe it! both the GO and reedy were used motors so who knows how they were broke in. Every motor I've broke in has not had any issues. Just wondering if this was a common thing or just flukes! I have heard OS having an issue with crank pins, but so far my speed is good!
thats why im leary of buying used engines here. havent gotten a good one yet out of 5 i bought. all have needed rod.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Tech Lord

The answer is simple, steel may be harder (although some are realy soft) but the brass ring in the rod has the lowest friction of them 2 and itst hardness is making the difference which one will wears faster.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof
The answer is simple, steel may be harder (although some are realy soft) but the brass ring in the rod has the lowest friction of them 2 and itst hardness is making the difference which one will wears faster.
aaaaaa what?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quality of the metal.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This is ridiculous. I understand the stress that the connecting rod is under during break in. I understand how nice it would be to replace it after break in. I feel engine manufactures should include a new rod for free or they shouldn't be 40 to 60 bucks for a part that cost 25 cents to make!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bacchus
This is ridiculous. I understand the stress that the connecting rod is under during break in. I understand how nice it would be to replace it after break in. I feel engine manufactures should include a new rod for free or they shouldn't be 40 to 60 bucks for a part that cost 25 cents to make!
Well that's the thing tho, at least in my experience the con rod isn't bad it's the crank pin. Even if it's cheap steel, it's still got to be harder then a soft brass insert in the con rod! Atleast that's what I'm thinking!