Like Tree8Likes

"the engine break in bible"

Old 08-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

https://www.rcmag.fr/reviews/techniq...ito4/mito4.htm

Here the comparisation of the Mito 4 and 7

Looking at the Mito 7 it has:
- a 3 port exhaust port, the small high placed ports next to the middle exhaust are also exhaust ports
- the 2 small holes under the exhaust are to splash fresh fuel to the hot side of the piston for cooling and lubrication.
- the 2 lower placed holes an eah side are so called bypass ports. Trapped mixture under the piston can make a shortcuit through these holes.

A nice recent topic:
https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-o...ification.html

A real good post is there to find from Nitrovein post nr #17 that explains it all. Most RC racers want to see the visual changes and improvements while the most performance comes from the timings alone although the 3 huge differences in my mentioned list do help.
But a good timed Mito4 will outrun a Mito7 with its fancy and very technical looks but Novarossi will not alow that so by timings each motor has the performance for its price range.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
A tuned engine is an engine with higher specs than normally sold. Tuning is a same word like modifying.
Most of the time a tuned engine from factory does look the same as the standard version but the difference is with the timings like higher ports and/or a wider opening on the crankshaft. On a 14mm crankshaft a 3 degee timing is like 0.2mm more opening, you can not see it but you can meassure it and for sure notice it on the track.

Modified engines from a 3rd party modifier is taking care of the flow by rounding edges, cuts away matrial from the piston to make it lighter, adds extra lubrication ports and all other kinds of tricks. And there are some who also enlage the timings.
I wonder... how can you meter the performance enhancements of a modded engine vs. a stock engine?
Driving it on the track and comparing to what? I don't believe there are dynos for glow engines, but I might be wrong.

Last edited by kwhunter; 08-27-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm glad I can read French

Old 08-27-2018, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post
I wonder... how can you meter the performance enhancements of a modded engine vs. a stock engine?
Driving it on the track and comparing to what? I don't believe there are dynos for glow engines, but I might be wrong.
For reading french there is google translate.... but pics says it all.

There are dyno's but if you know how the stock engine feels you will for sure feel the difference with a modified. How it starts, accelerate and the top rpm. And do not forget the comparisation with others on the track.
kwhunter likes this.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Tech Initiate

There are dyno's but if you know how the stock engine feels you will for sure feel the difference with a modified. How it starts, accelerate and the top rpm. And do not forget the comparisation with others on the track.
You really know your stuff, kudos!
My NOVA is tuned at the factory; I polished here and there, but since I'm not a modder I stopped at that. They also have a version they say is tuned and modified, I wonder what is changed from the tuned engine.
The sad fact is that there are very few, if any tracks here where I live; unlike the US, the sport is not popular here. So I only race by myself...
Old 08-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Tech Initiate

You were mentioning timing: how can you change the timing other than changing the compression ratio? Nothing else is adjustable on these engines.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:38 AM
Tech Champion

With a dremel.....
On the sleeve both intake and exhaust you can do it by adding a shim under the lip of the sleeve.

You can dremel all the way but that can result in a bad engine, only touching some edges will stretch the tolerances what always will work. If you want to do more and try to understand it you should first start wil measuriung timings on several engines.
https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-...e-timings.html
Old 08-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Tech Initiate

I see, modifying the ports; it's kind of hit or miss job if you don't know what you do.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Are REDS engines brothers & sisters of NOVAs?!
The silicone filling in the shaft is meant to smooth the rough surface of the bore, no? So it can be thrown away and a proper finishing touch applied.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post
Are REDS engines brothers & sisters of NOVAs?!
The silicone filling in the shaft is meant to smooth the rough surface of the bore, no? So it can be thrown away and a proper finishing touch applied.
Reds are made in the Picco factory. The silicon is there to fill the void that's been drilled out to reduce weight.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Mario Rossi from Reds is indeed family from Novarossi, the engines are Picco made.

About the silicon a lot is written on these forums but basically it a simplifying a production process with a fake interesting story
Old 08-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks, that's what I thought.