R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   "the engine break in bible" (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/443611-engine-break-bible.html)

Joey Platinum 05-08-2009 09:04 AM

Sorry I was getting carried away.Those mean old demons.

houston 05-08-2009 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum (Post 5786517)
I always curse at them and run used glow plugs, I've had some engines last as long as 2 gallons. Wear a disguise and break them in at night near a hospital or church,get some real demons and put them in the pipe and pull the trigger.

:weird: whoa , are you ok :confused:

allan42r 05-08-2009 09:48 AM

good info. you need to run it on the box for a bit to get some temp in the motor before running it under load to prevent damage to the rod/bushing. correct? thanks for posting this, i will try this out sunday.

houston 05-08-2009 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by allan42r (Post 5786746)
good info. you need to run it on the box for a bit to get some temp in the motor before running it under load to prevent damage to the rod/bushing. correct? thanks for posting this, i will try this out sunday.

use a heat gun or try one of marks engine warmers , those things are awesome !!!

i wish i had one mark ;):D

and btw , thanks for making these posts important , i feel it will answer many Q's people have

Wild Cherry 05-08-2009 10:14 AM

My new V-Spec....

I`ll break her in just like you said Monty .....:nod:

houston 05-08-2009 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry (Post 5786812)
I`ll break her in just like you said Monty .....:nod:

oh no !!!! you are gonna race 8th scale now george :confused::deathstar

Wild Cherry 05-08-2009 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 5786823)
oh no !!!! you are gonna race 8th scale now george :confused::deathstar

Yup, had a bit of set-up with the rip off and all . I`m back !!!

borrowed a 777
been driving a Mp9 here & there when Jarod lets me...

Kool car that Mp9.....

Watch results for this Saturday ....:deathstar

PowerHouse 05-08-2009 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 5786751)
use a heat gun or try one of marks engine warmers , those things are awesome !!!

and btw , thanks for making these posts important , i feel it will answer many Q's people have

I will have more on or around the 11th of May. I will let you know when I have them in my hands officially so I can send you one:nod: They are pretty cool and once they catch on, they will be hard to keep in stock:lol: Then between my engine business and selling engine heaters, maybe I can quit being a sheriff and concentrate on my engine work full time:nod:

Saber186 05-08-2009 01:33 PM

when you are tooling around the parking lot...are you just putt putting or up to 1/2 throttle or whut?

Jaz240 05-08-2009 02:27 PM

dont go full throttle until after you have completed break in, You want to keep the temps up, so If you need to get 3/4 throttle to keep the temps up, then that's where your at..just be safe and watch temps. Anything over 250 is too hot

Jaz240 05-08-2009 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by PowerHouse (Post 5787441)
I will have more on or around the 11th of May. I will let you know when I have them in my hands officially so I can send you one:nod: They are pretty cool and once they catch on, they will be hard to keep in stock:lol: Then between my engine business and selling engine heaters, maybe I can quit being a sheriff and concentrate on my engine work full time:nod:

Monty you could have pre-paid like the rest of us, and then you would be guaranteed to get one:rolleyes:

Saber186 05-08-2009 05:11 PM

Ok Thx Jaz.I was taught the"run 3 tanks really rich on the box method" but I will try this on my new Lrp.28...This just makes more sense to me

xxxrcnitro 05-08-2009 07:45 PM

Break in

I also use heat cycle but I never set it on the track until I have ran at least 5 tanks give or take on the box but, I wrap the head & use a heat gun varying the throttle @ a very rich setting to help blow the crap out never letting temps get below boiling point, temps are very important!
The reason I don't throw it down and let her rip is just that temps, temps, temps! You can't really have control on temp that way.I consider myself very experienced on this subject & have only learned from my mistakes.But, everyone has their own way and I have always left the decision to the owner of the mill with a smile on my face.
It's not my 300.00 mill:rolleyes:

houston 05-10-2009 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by xxxrcnitro (Post 5788590)
I also use heat cycle but I never set it on the track until I have ran at least 5 tanks give or take on the box but, I wrap the head & use a heat gun varying the throttle @ a very rich setting to help blow the crap out never letting temps get below boiling point, temps are very important!
The reason I don't throw it down and let her rip is just that temps, temps, temps! You can't really have control on temp that way.I consider myself very experienced on this subject & have only learned from my mistakes.But, everyone has their own way and I have always left the decision to the owner of the mill with a smile on my face.
It's not my 300.00 mill:rolleyes:

this was actually ron paris' method even though it was on johnny cool guy or whatever he is .

ron knew like ywo things about engines ;)

allan42r 05-11-2009 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 5786751)

thanks for the help motor broke in after 6 tanks of fuel. when i can turn the flywheel over by hand when its warm i say shes broke in.