Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
I need an engine recommendation for Truggy - Racing >

I need an engine recommendation for Truggy - Racing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

I need an engine recommendation for Truggy - Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 07:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I need an engine recommendation for Truggy - Racing

I am trying my hand at nitro Truggy racing. Unfortunately my engine just failed so I need a new one. What I had was very difficult to tune and many had worked on it from brand new. No need to mention the brand as I am not worried about brand blaming and no need to disrespect the brand as I very well could be at fault for the failure. I haven't torn the motor down yet. Kind of disappointing really as I finally had it running reliably, go figure.

Anyhow, is there a consensus as to an engine that is easy to tune and reliable for racing. I am not a pro so at this point it is more about learning and having a good time so I don't need the fastest of the fastest. I am looking for reliable and easy(ier) to tune. From my flying, OS is always solid and I know there are several very good OS motors out there, but which one? With OS you really have some selection. Sadly Nova Rossi looks dead. I know there are other brands out there but a lot are names I don't recognize.

I don't mean to open a can of worms. I know that asking my local racers is always recommended and I will do that but I would like to reach out to a broader group for opinion.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-30-2020, 11:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

blok truck motor (spec 2)
flashpoint fp02, think it’s same motor as above ^ (spec 2)
tessmann spec 2 (tall head)
b2103 type r
I saw the AD2 push around a truck last weekend but not sure if that’s the best application.

these are all os motors that I think would be reliable and easy to tune.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

I've always heard the Werks B5 is great for truggy.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Blok Ap i used in my truggy and is awesome!! Also have a Type -R b2103 and the samurai R03 is screaming(All! O.s motors!)! Stay away from italians motor! novarossi or werks!! same thing.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I’m running Novarossi Rolling and FX K501
Both engines are great in truggy.
Regardless that it looks like Novarossi might be done I would still recommend the Rolling which is less then $300. Take it easy breaking it in and it gives great power with the proper pipe combo and great fuel mileage and you should get either close to or more then 10gallons out of her.
The FX are harder to get because they manufacture in small runs but I love mine. She’s my bigger race engine.

Don’t know about Werks but I’ve heard mixed reviews.

The O.S. and O.S. based engines mentioned above are great.

A lot of people like the high head Tessman in truggy.

The samurai R03 I’m sure is awesome as my friend has the S03 in his truggy and although they say it’s better in buggy it throws his truggy around no problem. R03 is supposed to give even more power.

Drake 2 in truggy it’s better to run a 6.5-7mm Venturi and you have to go with 85mm header and 2090 pipe, not the 75mm & 2100 that comes in the combo.

Ive also seen the Maxy’s Cinco 2.0 and it has a lot of power. I’ve seen it run in buggy & truggy.

The MX (Blue head) are also O.S. based and powerful from what I’ve seen.

Ive seen a few Ultimates in action not sure if they were 3 or 5 port but it was moving just don’t have any real knowledge of them.

A lot to choose from and most guys will tell you what they like. Best thing is to try and see some in action. I would also recommend hitting up my boy Jersey on here. He has crazy knowledge on engines.
outcast32 likes this.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the input. I now have a direction to follow. Nice to know some of the brands I am unfamiliar with are good choices as well.
Galatians2 20 likes this.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Galatians2 20
I’m running Novarossi Rolling and FX K501
Both engines are great in truggy.
Regardless that it looks like Novarossi might be done I would still recommend the Rolling which is less then $300. Take it easy breaking it in and it gives great power with the proper pipe combo and great fuel mileage and you should get either close to or more then 10gallons out of her.
The FX are harder to get because they manufacture in small runs but I love mine. She’s my bigger race engine.

Don’t know about Werks but I’ve heard mixed reviews.

The O.S. and O.S. based engines mentioned above are great.

A lot of people like the high head Tessman in truggy.

The samurai R03 I’m sure is awesome as my friend has the S03 in his truggy and although they say it’s better in buggy it throws his truggy around no problem. R03 is supposed to give even more power.

Drake 2 in truggy it’s better to run a 6.5-7mm Venturi and you have to go with 85mm header and 2090 pipe, not the 75mm & 2100 that comes in the combo.

Ive also seen the Maxy’s Cinco 2.0 and it has a lot of power. I’ve seen it run in buggy & truggy.

The MX (Blue head) are also O.S. based and powerful from what I’ve seen.

Ive seen a few Ultimates in action not sure if they were 3 or 5 port but it was moving just don’t have any real knowledge of them.

A lot to choose from and most guys will tell you what they like. Best thing is to try and see some in action. I would also recommend hitting up my boy Jersey on here. He has crazy knowledge on engines.

That is exactly a Blok AP motor! and the Samaurai R03 is also same 3 ports motor! They all rocks!!
Old 11-03-2020, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

I use the AD2 and/or MX B2R on my Xray XT8.
The MX B2R has raw power from bottom to top. I use a HIPEX 2135 with an 85mm header with a 6.5mm restrictor 1.1 clutch springs and aluminum clutch shoes.
The AD2 has a smoother power delivery but works well using the mentioned setup with a 7mm restrictor. Mileage is good on both on a medium/large sized ,medium grip semi technical track.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Dont be fooled.. Reds 723, OS Tessman, Bloc or MX.... Others you will be left behind... ijs....
SkippyMatt likes this.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

I think the best all categories motor for truggy right now is the B2013 Type-R !!! 5 ports motor that make power at bottom and on top like nothing else!!
Old 11-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Original poster - from your description, it seems like you aren't going to be racing for a national or regional championship. So, a 10/10 full blown $500 race engine is probably a waste of $$$ and something you don't want to spend that much on anyway.

For truggy, IMO there are 2 choices that PERFECTLY fit your needs of 1) not unnecessarily expensive, and 2) will still make your truck fly and have fun!

First option: Flashpoint FP01 or FP02 -- this is a OS Spec II (Tessmann 110% version) down to the port timings. The FP01 has a non DLC crank, which means it'll wear faster, and the FP02 has a DLC crank which will withstand multiple rebuilds with virtually no wear. The engine/pipe combo is about $375 for the FP01 and you CANNOT beat that price for what you get IMO. The FP02 engine is $299 at Dialed Hobbies and that IS the same engine as the $500 Tessmann version.

2nd option: Protek R03 - this is a B2101 Type R under the Protek brand, but with a 3-port sleeve rather than the 5-port in the OS branded version. It has the DLC coated crank plus a ceramic rear bearing. At AMain it's $399, versus $450+ for the OS branded version.

Go with either of those and you'll be happy. No need for the ultra high-end engines in my opinion.

Hit me up if you need it EBIS broken-in, [email protected]
Goof likes this.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

are the reds a picco engine?
Old 11-06-2020, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you all for your input. With your help I made what I feel is an educated purchase. I went with the Flash Point 02. Just arrived yesterday so working on the install now. Next will be break in and I will follow the guide here on this site. Looks like this will be a good engine that will not be tricky to tune. Part of my reasoning as well is that I have heard good things about this carburetor the 21J. It is a nice engine, I got the matching pipe. I hope to have it running this weekend to start the break in process.

The Blok motor is nice in the fact that it is already broken in but there is quite the price difference between what I now have and the Blok.

I'll update this once I get it broken in.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

it seems the mx engines are very hard to find. how does the blok 21ap compare?

Last edited by LOW ET; 11-14-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:21 AM
Tech Initiate

I have had the Flash Point now for several weeks. I broke it in per this instructions. The engine runs very well. The tuning has been relatively easy though some expert help was appreciated. The truggy runs well and is competitive speed wise. Now if I could steer and brake better.

Thanks for the input, it was a great choice.
frewster and SkippyMatt like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.