Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Novarossi S21 P5XLT (2010 edition) ?????? >

Novarossi S21 P5XLT (2010 edition) ??????

Novarossi S21 P5XLT (2010 edition) ??????

Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Well look, in both cases I bit on special offers thinking I was getting something quality for a good deal. And now I'm looking at spending nearly what I paid for the engine to get them modded. Which is okay.. But I'm not gonna' get €200+ (plus the packaging, shipping, waiting, etc..) in to a couple engines which are each gonna' need €75+ (€50 for the bearings, €25 for the installation..) to have the bearings replaced one or two gallons down the line.. That's fxxxing stupid afaic. I'm alway championing the actual simplicity of nitro and telling flasthlight people that it's really not that complicated.. Which I do believe to be the case if you have the right gear. But there is an awful lot of Novarossi fanboyism about, and a lot of those people have been saying these stock black bearings suck and need to be changed out.. Dude in a German forum just chimed in today saying his P5XLT bearings are all fxxxed up after two gallons... So I've been seeing this from multiple sources. Nobody talks about this shxx in Alpha, OS, Picco, etc threads.. Yet everybody is always talking about how great the P5XLT is.. I guess if you alreay have some stupid $100 Hudy tool and a bunch of blue bearings laying about, and the patience to dick around with replacing the bearings it can be okay?.. And if not? I mean, I feel a lot less keen about sending them off to be modded if dicking with bearings is part of the equation...
Old 06-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Well look, in both cases I bit on special offers thinking I was getting something quality for a good deal. And now I'm looking at spending nearly what I paid for the engine to get them modded. Which is okay.. But I'm not gonna' get €200+ (plus the packaging, shipping, waiting, etc..) in to a couple engines which are each gonna' need €75+ (€50 for the bearings, €25 for the installation..) to have the bearings replaced one or two gallons down the line.. That's fxxxing stupid afaic. I'm alway championing the actual simplicity of nitro and telling flasthlight people that it's really not that complicated.. Which I do believe to be the case if you have the right gear. But there is an awful lot of Novarossi fanboyism about, and a lot of those people have been saying these stock black bearings suck and need to be changed out.. Dude in a German forum just chimed in today saying his P5XLT bearings are all fxxxed up after two gallons... Nobody talks about this shxx in Alpha, OS, Picco, etc threads.. Yet everybody is always talking about how great the P5XLT is.. I guess if you alreay have some stupid $100 Hudy tool and a bunch of blue bearings laying about, and the patience to dick around with replacing the bearings it can be okay?.. And if not?

I would sell them now if I was you ! get rid of them now and let us not hear another word !
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

For sale: Mugen Beat B5 and RB Blast V9 - €140 + shipping each.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

so let me get this.. you bought a Mugen B5.. not a nova P5.. and you saying Nova fan boys swayed you... niceness... well said... so you want to buy a 150 dollar engine that has a 50 dollar bearing... sweet deal...
Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rfleck
My P5XLT showed up with a pretty blue bearing, so looks to have the 17011 bearing. I unfortunately don't have a ton of time to get her ready for an upcoming RC Pro race so my question is how much fuel should I expect to put through this mill before she's ready to go?
Ron,

In my experience, P5's break in quickly compared to some of the other stuff that comes out of the Novarossi factory. As I am breaking in an engine, I take the glow plug out and roll the flywheel over to check the degree of pinch when the engine is cold. I will run a race tune when the engine gets loose. For the three P5's I have broken in, I get to that point before 10 tanks. I am really liking my P5's. I am running one in the truggy with the 2013 and another in buggy with the 2058. 6.5 mm venturi in buggy and 7.5 mm in truggy. My buggy was noticeably faster in a straight line compared to the guys I was running with at the Nats. The truck was fast but nothing special.

Justin
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Tech Champion

Well, my modded (including new front bearing) Mugen Beat B5 has about ten tanks through it now. It runs smoothly and is uncomplicated. But so far anyway, the performance is not all that impressive. It's probably the pipe (Dynamite 053), but I have videos of both it and my (stock) RB Fire 11 with the exact same set-ups (car, pipe, clutch, fuel, etc.. The F11 has a C5TGC though, the Beat a C6..), and the Fire clearly has more oomph. Maybe the Beat B5 has more in it, especially with a different pipe and some more fuel through it, but so far I'm starting to think I want another RB Fire... Just messing around tuning on pavement, I would even say the Argus A52 with 0801 is a bit more impressive (on bottom anyway, not top.. Snappier..)

This engine is destined to race in truggy, so I'm gonna' try I guess a 2058 and 086 on it. Also have a JP-4.. The 053 seems to get great mileage, and tuning is super easy.. But it doesn't have quite the right punch somehow..
Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Break in took a little longer than expecetd with this mill. The engine will not let you rush things and will flame out when you let off the gas when it is too tight. Afterwards, it gave me no issues. Pretty impressed with the performance. It is much smoother thna I thought it would be.

Running RE12, getting about 9 mins at the moment.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Well, my modded (including new front bearing) Mugen Beat B5 has about ten tanks through it now. It runs smoothly and is uncomplicated. But so far anyway, the performance is not all that impressive. It's probably the pipe (Dynamite 053), but I have videos of both it and my (stock) RB Fire 11 with the exact same set-ups (car, pipe, clutch, fuel, etc.. The F11 has a C5TGC though, the Beat a C6..), and the Fire clearly has more oomph. Maybe the Beat B5 has more in it, especially with a different pipe and some more fuel through it, but so far I'm starting to think I want another RB Fire... Just messing around tuning on pavement, I would even say the Argus A52 with 0801 is a bit more impressive (on bottom anyway, not top.. Snappier..)

This engine is destined to race in truggy, so I'm gonna' try I guess a 2058 and 086 on it. Also have a JP-4.. The 053 seems to get great mileage, and tuning is super easy.. But it doesn't have quite the right punch somehow..
Dont compare any engine with the F11. Waaaaay too much unlinar power and a moderate economic