Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Adding Castor To Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, the fuel companies tell you how much oil is in the fuel, but I guess they consider the exact blend of oils to be a trade secret.

I've never heard of on-road fuel and off-road fuel, only ground fuel and air fuel.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Flashpoint sells onroad 25% and offroad 30%. They don't list the oil contant either. I use this fuel since it's available at my local hobby store.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Storydude1
Agreed... To an extent. Adding 2% oil to a 18% mix would be excessive. Adding 2% to a 9% isn't. More oil will allow longer engine life, again, to an extent. I suggest running for breakin on unmodded fuels to allow parts to seat. once seated, parts last longer with (again, in my exp. and observations) a slight amount of oil added per "gallon" with some fuels.

If you are running the high side of 13% with the fuel you have, that's usually plenty. I add a small amount of castor just for my well-being and what *I* feel is a longer life. The actual amounts I add depend on what fuel I bought this month. LHS only had TRAXXAS stuff last month, so I'm not adding any as it's already oily as death. Last gallon of Coolpower, I added IIRC, 2.4 Fluid OZ.
Don't care how old this is. I can't find someone that hasn't said traxxas fuel is loaded with oil. It has 10% by volume. That's 3 less percent then Byron 16% which is more like 13% by volume.

It's in the middle somewhere so I wouldn't call it oily to death.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by houston
You will run into much less power and engine not running as well

Thats too much oil unless you are "bashing"
Really? 9% to 10% loss of power and too much?

If I mixed up a 9% fuel and 10% fuel only difference being the 1% you wouldn't be able to tell me running the car which is which. There's a chance youd guess it right. If you could do it 5 to 6 times in a row I may believe you but I bet you couldn't which makes your statement false not technically but practically which is what matters.