Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B >

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Like Tree5Likes

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGTIME
Besides the black coating of the case, the balanced crank, and the ceramic rear bearing, what is the difference between a XZ-B Speed and Ninja BO2?
Crank & Sleeve Timing, and Head Button shape/size. These are probably the three most important things.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danny B
Yes, that is a good method for the short needle carb. Just don't go crazy lean on top, I see lots of OS engines too lean on top. They make great power with a fairly rich top. even when you think you have the top perfect it's a good idea to richen an hour or two.
thank u danny b. yes i have noticed they have good power running rich.

the main reason i was asking is that i had it running great, idling beautiful. then a *guru* adjusted it without me asking and now it won't idle properly.

i just needed to know if i had it right the first time. again thank u.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Go with sound, power and smoke. If its good in those areas then leave it alone.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah frank. that's what i do. racing sunday so i'll see how it goes. adjust as necessary.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
7 mins What pipe
the 2060
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Originally Posted by tmth3
most of the guys that would run the base vz-b would throw a speed vz-b rod in(oil hole in the rod) the base xz-b is probably the fastest engine i have ever owned. seemed like the longer you held the throttle open the more the rpm would climb. the top seemed endless. way more bottom than the speed also. the cranks are really soft though. theres no denying that. the bo2 crank seems to be the hot ticket out. i even think the vz-b base crank is harder! i only got three gallons out of my base xz-b before it generated way too much slop. i caught it before i threw the rod(when you start to burn out brand new glow plug after brand new glow plug, sure-tell sign) i basically had to scrap the engine because the head button, crank and rod were no good... so 5 to 10 gallons seems a bit optimistic for a stock, base xz-b crank. i break in all my engines the same way and that was my only experience with a 3 gallon crank. so get an base xz-b only if you have a b02 or speed crank laying around

+1

the old days the bo1 crank despite not having the tungsten weight, had more timing and could make more steam than the vzb speed....now OS decided Mugen isnt gonna have the upper hand and basically use a base blue head xzb crank with the DLC coat in the bo2 and the xzb speed crank has all the tweaks and more detailed machining..
I could tell my first Sidewinder xzb uncoated crank was already goin to $%it after only a gallon and half/close to 2 gallonsish...too much rod play as compared to the exact same rod on a old school bo1 or speed crank that im used to...when OS rods get a lil play in em, IMO its just a short time before you spin the lower bushing in the rod and the oil supply hole no longer lines up and ^$#@%$^...total loss if your not aware or inexperienced....ive also been playin with the xzb and xzb speed buttons a lil with the lathe, and after the very little bit of testing and comparison ive been able to do, I prefer the standard xzb button over the xzb speed button after it has been shaved 0.11mm and leaving the 0.10 copper shim out when reassembling...better idle, cooler temps (15 degrees), lil more bottom and when combined with a Ebmods powerplate backplate, youve got a balistic missle that finally will start making some fuel mileage...not like the vzb/b01, but noticably better than stock...just my 2 cents and also a very strong agree with tmth3 previous advice on upgrading the standard uncoated xzb cranks....
Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Im really curious to how much weight the rumor holds of OS having plans of returning to the shortstroke style, square bore engines for 2013....
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just wanted to put on here, I was forced into a rebuild after 4 gallons on my base XZ-B due to crankshaft slop. No big, was kind of expecting it. So anyway, had a friend with a nearly new speed rod and speed crankshaft, and I also grabbed a speed button from him. Rebuilt it, removing the .1mm copper shim with all the speed parts, and well I must say I am thoroughly impressed.

I have a reedy header with Nvision 2058 pipe, loud ass combo, in my rc8.2, and after all this I was able to go from 7:30 to a tank to 12min to a tank. Definitely doesn't have the insane torque anymore, but wow is it smooth. I think I finally found my perfect combo.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

you guys wearing out your crankpins so quickly what fuels are you using ?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I just put a load of unfiltered dirt through an XZB and the crank spec'd 0.0003" off of stock spec.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've been using VP.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have had speed cranks last well into the 14+ gallon mark on a couple engines. I usually dont replace the p/s/r, I will just retire the engine and break in a new engine, but the few times I have the crank pin has always been good through the p/s/r changed out at 8 gallons or so.

The VP fuel should be ok. My understanding is that it has the right oils in it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate
I just put a load of unfiltered dirt through an XZB and the crank spec'd 0.0003" off of stock spec.
your fine...run it! lil richer than what the vzb's were accustomed to = best power and temperment from the xzb imo also...
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Maximo
you guys wearing out your crankpins so quickly what fuels are you using ?
you already know...

if anyone really wants the skinny on fuel....ask somone like Neal, who does it everyday, on every brand, on every fuel, and on engines with much higher than stock stress and loads put on them after mod....its all there when actually private, random, lab tests are performed on all the major brands, every couple months.....I will definetely be reconsidering the fuel I run in 2013!! thanks Neal!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sean Dickinson
I just wanted to put on here, I was forced into a rebuild after 4 gallons on my base XZ-B due to crankshaft slop. No big, was kind of expecting it. So anyway, had a friend with a nearly new speed rod and speed crankshaft, and I also grabbed a speed button from him. Rebuilt it, removing the .1mm copper shim with all the speed parts, and well I must say I am thoroughly impressed.

I have a reedy header with Nvision 2058 pipe, loud ass combo, in my rc8.2, and after all this I was able to go from 7:30 to a tank to 12min to a tank. Definitely doesn't have the insane torque anymore, but wow is it smooth. I think I finally found my perfect combo.
Awesome!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.