Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by modhobby
Here you go:

A new crank pin and con-rod bushing have the following dimensions:
  • new crank pin diameter: 4.98 mm
  • new rod bushing diameter: 5.01 mm

A crank pin and con-rod bushing must be replaced when the following limits are reached:
  • crank pin minimum diameter: 4.95 mm
  • rod bushing maximum diameter: 5.03 mm
I just don't see where these super conservative numbers come from..
I mean that sort of wear is not far off from what you see directly after break in is finished..

After about two and a half, three gallons, most engines will be way past this. Yet they continue to run fine for another three gallons, most of the time just need a new front bearing.

I'm confused by these numbers.
In my experience engines behave nicely with crankpins down to 4.88 and rods up to 5.10..
Once you get down to 4.82 crankpin is when rod failure is a risk.

So I'm curious where these numbers come from.. you'd have to buy a new crankshaft and rod directly after breakin if this were true.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Need some advice..
I'm planning to get a Reds Engine for my 1/8 Buggy..now crossed between the R7E and R5TE..
Whats the diff apart from price and quality?
The track i run in is short but plan to start racing soon..I'm using a Nova now and love these Italian stuff.. Will be going for a 4port clutch as well..

any input is much appreciated..
Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NUDGE66
Need some advice..
I'm planning to get a Reds Engine for my 1/8 Buggy..now crossed between the R7E and R5TE..
Whats the diff apart from price and quality?
The track i run in is short but plan to start racing soon..I'm using a Nova now and love these Italian stuff.. Will be going for a 4port clutch as well..

any input is much appreciated..
id suggest the 5TE as its got more than enough power and is smooth and easy to throttle around the track and take the jumps with ease..
Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thanx

Originally Posted by DaRaceMasta
id suggest the 5TE as its got more than enough power and is smooth and easy to throttle around the track and take the jumps with ease..

Thanx DaRace..

I can get both for about the same price.Brand New..

So the R5 is a better option or better engine? Race tracks here are normal longs ones..just the training track is short.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Tech Addict

Thanx DaRace..

I can get both for about the same price.Brand New..

So the R5 is a better option or better engine? Race tracks here are normal longs ones..just the training track is short.
well to put it this way.. our track here in liverpool LRRCC is pretty long with some twists and bends.. but with long lead up to a double jump.. and you really dont need the extra power.. i know it is tempting but assure you , i was getting the R7 but after running the TE2 5port i dont regret it at all.. with the HIPEX pipe and M manifold..
Old 04-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

the R5tte and R7 are both the same quality (very high) so one is not necessarily "better" than the other, they just drive differently. the R5 is suited more for tracks with tight corners and big jumps straight after these corners, the R7 more suited for 'european' style tracks, where its a bit flatter, high speed and maximum torque isnt necessary. if you are using a Nova that has a softer power delivery down low and like it that way, the R7 is more suitable or use a soft throttle finger with the R5
Old 04-01-2015, 01:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BigInJapan
the R5tte and R7 are both the same quality (very high) so one is not necessarily "better" than the other, they just drive differently. the R5 is suited more for tracks with tight corners and big jumps straight after these corners, the R7 more suited for 'european' style tracks, where its a bit flatter, high speed and maximum torque isnt necessary. if you are using a Nova that has a softer power delivery down low and like it that way, the R7 is more suitable or use a soft throttle finger with the R5
hehehe well said mr BIG
Old 04-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default REDS R5R

Just received an R5R racer .21

Looking for any advice to the engine before I start breakin with

On a losi 3.0 buggy
30% VP fuel
Down in the Houston Humidity

Any advice ?
Old 04-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RevoUsa
Just received an R5R racer .21

Looking for any advice to the engine before I start breakin with

On a losi 3.0 buggy
30% VP fuel
Down in the Houston Humidity

Any advice ?
as far as breakin.. keep it at around 110 - 120c = 240F -270F .. run 1 tank idle with rich setting on HSN for good lubrication.. blip intermittently in the 2nd tank.. on starter box.. 3rd drive on ground in figure 8 after that give it a bit more resistance on track.. 1/4 throttle... to help bed the sleeve and piston.. let the engine cool between each tank.. and preheat each time.. reduce stress on conrod and you should be sweet after 6.. then you can start tuning it for race but keep it mildly rich after 1L its RACE tune fun!.. mine runs like a dream.. screamzzzz
Old 04-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wouldn't run VP fuel. Byron ftw!
Old 04-07-2015, 03:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Seemed to be easier to drive but also had the xs manifold on it fuel economy was the same as running the 2069 so wonding if i should try it with the s manifold. That would be more top end wouldnt it?

Originally Posted by DaRaceMasta
let me know how that goes for you..
Old 04-07-2015, 11:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Conrods

Hi Guys,

We have had a number of issues relating to the conrods in our reds motors.

I have 3 motors, 5TE, R7 and R5R. I ran in my 5TE and snapped a conrod after 4 litres of full. I then purchased an R7 ran the motor in and after around 2 liters, replaced the conrod, just to be safe. After around 12 odd liters, it snapped again, luckily not damaging the piston and sleeve. A friend at the track also managed to snap a rod on same day on his R5R almost identical to my picture. I have yet to run in my R5R but I'm concerned we are doing something very wrong. I have also purchased a new piston and sleeve for my team edition and also run that in again. I will change the rod now the run in is complete.

For the run in procedure, I pre-heat, and idle one tank.

Then I run a full bottle through the motor keeping temps around 90 degs. Doing figures of 8s with very smooth throttle inputs (no more then 1/4 to 1/2 throttle). Once done, I park the car, piston at BDC and let it cool.

I then re-heat the motor and run another bottle through it. This time on the track. I give small smooth throttle inputs with slightly longer burst as the fuel bottle begins to empty. Still keeping temps around 90 degs. You can hear and see the motor wants to be released. I don't lean out the motor after the break in period. I run slightly rich afterwards but the motor feels good with lots of power. I slowly bring the motor into race tune over a number of tanks.

During races I keep the motor around 110 to 120 degs and no more. We only really run the P3 plug with nitrolux fuel. I have not had any issues with my motors, no flame outs, constant tune, steady idle etc... only issue is the rods keep snapping.

I don't pre-heat my motor after run in. I hear two opinions on the matter. The mechanical pinch is already gone on the motor.
Can anyone give us some advise because I have not had these issues with my previous novas, os and alpha motors.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails REDS Engines (Mario Rossi)-r7-conrod.jpg  

Last edited by Adam-sweety; 04-08-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stevo_SC10
Seemed to be easier to drive but also had the xs manifold on it fuel economy was the same as running the 2069 so wonding if i should try it with the s manifold. That would be more top end wouldnt it?
as far as i recall the shorter the punchier the bottom.. i have the M so it give power... across the spectrum..
Old 04-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Adam-sweety
Hi Guys,

I have 3 motors, 5TE, R7 and R5R. I ran in my 5TE and snapped a conrod after 4 litres of full. I then purchased an R7 ran the motor in and after around 2 liters, replaced the conrod, just to be safe. After around 12 odd liters, it snapped again, luckily not damaging the piston and sleeve. A friend at the track also managed to snap a rod on same day on his R5R almost identical to my picture. I have yet to run in my R5R but I'm concerned we are doing something very wrong. I have also purchased a new piston and sleeve for my team edition and also run that in again. I will change the rod now the run in is complete.

Then I run a full bottle through the motor keeping temps around 90 degs. Doing figures of 8s with very smooth throttle inputs (no more then 1/4 to 1/2 throttle). Once done, I park the car, piston at BDC and let it cool.

I then re-heat the motor and run another bottle through it. This time on the track. I give small smooth throttle inputs with slightly longer burst as the fuel bottle begins to empty. Still keeping temps around 90 degs. You can hear and see the motor wants to be released. I don't lean out the motor after the break in period. I run slightly rich afterwards but the motor feels good with lots of power. I slowly bring the motor into race tune over a number of tanks.

During races I keep the motor around 110 to 120 degs and no more. We only really run the P3 plug with nitrolux fuel. I have not had any issues with my motors, no flame outs, constant tune, steady idle etc... only issue is the rods keep snapping.

I don't pre-heat my motor after run in. I hear two opinions on the matter. The mechanical pinch is already gone on the motor.
Can anyone give us some advise because I have not had these issues with my previous novas, os and alpha motors.

Thanks in advance.
The inside looked messy. Is that soot on the crancshaft?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adam-sweety
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.
you spun the rod bushing...what brand of fuel do you use ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.