Like Tree223Likes

REDS Engines (Mario Rossi)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 02:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitro5270
What fuel you are using?
What bearings are fitted?
its stock bearings. I've got 2 reds engines that have the exact same issue. I really don't want to say what fuel. I don't want to draw any doubt about the fuel since I'm not totally sure that it is the fuel. My os and novas run terrific on this fuel. Kinda got me puzzled a little. I'm gonna try the P3 first.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jdsand5
After a wot run it either has a 2 stage or it will have a perfect idle for a second or two then idle up for a second or two then idle back down. No matter what I do it will not have a single stage idle. My other reds engine does the exact same thing. My os and novas will come back to idle perfectly after a wot run in the same platform so it's not a tank or fuel line issue. I'm going to try a different fuel my next race and see if that changes anything.
What fuel? Contact Reds and that would be the 1st thing they ask. 3 needle carb is huge improvement. Everyone knows Reds have a erratic idle, and the folks at Reds always pointed to the fuel used. It's why I switched to OS. But the 3 needle carb helps the idle alot. My idle is alot more stable as i can tune that mid window and the TNR Reds blend makes the engine idle easier and easier to tune. I would also suggest going to a 8mm venturi on buggy and truck, opens the tuning window. (Yes I'm talking about Reds) still have them for backups and I only run manufactures plugs on any engine.

And a bad idle has a negative performance impact and causes inconsistent feel to the throttle.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:16 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks, running a P3 is one thing that I haven't tried. Hopefully, between a different plug and/or a different fuel will eliminate the idle issues.
Let me help you with my worthless answers REDS Engines (Mario Rossi)
Old 06-07-2022, 03:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by token
What fuel? Contact Reds and that would be the 1st thing they ask. 3 needle carb is huge improvement. Everyone knows Reds have a erratic idle, and the folks at Reds always pointed to the fuel used. It's why I switched to OS. But the 3 needle carb helps the idle alot. My idle is alot more stable as i can tune that mid window and the TNR Reds blend makes the engine idle easier and easier to tune. I would also suggest going to a 8mm venturi on buggy and truck, opens the tuning window. (Yes I'm talking about Reds) still have them for backups and I only run manufactures plugs on any engine.

And a bad idle has a negative performance impact and causes inconsistent feel to the throttle.
I'm trying the TNR fuel next race and see if that makes a difference. Hope so...
Old 06-07-2022, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Default Idle

its stock bearings. I've got 2 reds engines that have the exact same issue. I really don't want to say what fuel. I don't want to draw any doubt about the fuel since I'm not totally sure that it is the fuel. My os and novas run terrific on this fuel. Kinda got me puzzled a little. I'm gonna try the P3 first.
Ok that’s fine. it's not my intention to put the blame on something.
I try to understand what is going on.
Yes i see some having inconsistent or erratic idle.
But some have not. Last Race a guy coming up after 2 years not racing and has a perfect running 721. Other struggle with today s engines and fresh fuel.
I do not understand why people think a Reds should be the same as a OS or a Nova ? Its not the same! So we have to handle it differently.
The fuel has a massive impact on how our engines behave, this dose not mean that the fuel is bad or good just different.

token likes this.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok that’s fine. it's not my intention to put the blame on something.
I try to understand what is going on.
Yes i see some having inconsistent or erratic idle.
But some have not. Last Race a guy coming up after 2 years not racing and has a perfect running 721. Other struggle with today s engines and fresh fuel.
I do not understand why people think a Reds should be the same as a OS or a Nova ? Its not the same! So we have to handle it differently.
The fuel has a massive impact on how our engines behave, this dose not mean that the fuel is bad or good just different.
Totally agree about the fuel. What one engine thrives on may not be the best for another. I hope I can get it figured out cause the reds engines make great power. I'll report back when I try the other fuel.
Nitro5270 likes this.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Try adding a 0.1-0.15 headshim. I'm pretty sure that would solve your idling issues provided there aren't any air leaks.
jdsand5 and Nitro5270 like this.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Default Some details

savage24x likes this.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Default Details

Nothing really spectacular.
But look at the strange shape of the 8mm venturi.
The idle mixture needle is very thick.
The seal between combustion chamber and crankcase is now „optional“
Old 06-09-2022, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default Adjusters

savage24x likes this.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default The Oil

The stuff that makes the engine’s purring
Old 06-09-2022, 06:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nothing really spectacular.
But look at the strange shape of the 8mm venturi.
The idle mixture needle is very thick.
The seal between combustion chamber and crankcase is now „optional“
I'm definitely curious if the 3 needle carb is easier to tune.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Hey guys! Just wanted to let everyone know how REDS has been working for me, and some things I have found out about this engine that have been helping me personally at the track! My 721 S Scuderia Gen2 so far doesn’t quite have a gallon on it yet, but is running great and starting to make some runtime in the 9ish minute mark. I have it paired with the 2143 X-One one piece pipe with the Tetra clutch (2 carbon/1.1 spring x 2 aluminum/1.0 spring) M setting, on 25% bones fuel/P3 plug and it makes so much controllable, big power that is surprised the heck out of me.

only thing I had to work on was when I got to the track, I had a similar issue as one of the other members on here where every time I hit the brakes into a corner I would have a flameout. Me and another REDS user at the track found out that having an oil filter with too much oil on it, mixed with a really dusty track pretty much richened the fuel mixture so much it was fouling out plugs during deceleration. We put a lightly oiled filter on that was air dried and squeezed out with a shop towel, and also set my idle gap to .7mm, that issue has completely gone away. We were also thinking my idle gap was too low, I had it set at .5mm previously for break in. I hope this helps members on here in the future!
token and Nitro5270 like this.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Who sell Reds clutch parts in the US and has them in stock?
Old 07-20-2022, 04:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Break in report 521

I now have the 521 in operation.
I have run it in, roughly according to the instruction manual. Directly with my normal fuel.
The behaviour was similar to the 721 Scuderia G1 which I ran in the same way.
It took about a gallon until the engine worked reliably.
That's a long time compared to the old R engines.
I would not have used the engine in a race during that first gallon.
If you don't have the opportunity to run your engine in thoroughly you should rely on a break in service or buy a pre broken in engine.
I usually use a pure castor oil fuel for the break in. The engines are ready to go after a quarter of a gallon of fuel.
The c3 glow plug that comes with it is not suitable for the break in in my opinion.
I hope this helps someone.
Have fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.