Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree223Likes

REDS Engines (Mario Rossi)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 03:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

I seriously doubt Reds will open a plant, there are far more benefits of joining forces these days and Picco seems to have tailored their production towards OEM as well.
Picco released some information the other day about upgrading all the materials in their engines, that could very well have been a collaboration between Mario and Picco for mutual benefits.
Well that's my guess at least!
Pedro Jesus likes this.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by iplaygames
its a copy of the new Picco blast, except with a beefer top part of block...
Mr Rossi and o.s do not get along.

If this is the Picco Blast you are talking about the crank case is different from the new REDS motor. Are crank cases for engines made by CNC or cast?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RB_Racer

If this is the Picco Blast you are talking about the crank case is different from the new REDS motor. Are crank cases for engines made by CNC or cast?
They are cast then machined. the crank case of the picco and reds are always different, REDS traditionally have been using the old onroad style with heaps of fins around the top part of block in a square pattern.
Take a look back at some of piccos old crankcases.. youll find heaps of different ones and MR chose one over the rest for whatever reason
Picco new Crankcase which has been manufactured through a new DIE CAST MOLD instead of their traditional gravity cast mold
Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Pipes

Can any compare the 2112 pipe vs the 2143 pipe from experience?
Old 04-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone have feedback on the Scuderia engine? By the Facebook posts, it seems like they are getting long runtimes but no details.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nudzbone
Anyone have feedback on the Scuderia engine? By the Facebook posts, it seems like they are getting long runtimes but no details.
describe long runtime? some of the first versions of the REDS engines could do 10 easy..."latest and greatest" isnt the best, especially when we are talking about RC Race engines. look at the p5, would suit 95% of all racers but 50% of them chose a engine nearly 3 times the price...

i had the original R5r engine, we could pit at 9:30 on a medium sized track... went to a AD speed that got Tuned by Adam himself and we ran out at 9:21... (same track etc etc)

The only worthy upgrade on Any RC race engine is DLC crank and improvements to a carb and maybe plugs.. we are at a Halt Engine wise these days. anymore power is too much.
something to try is a SH engine or LS5 from amain... cheap as.. and have good power and reliability.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

describe long runtime? some of the first versions of the REDS engines could do 10 easy..."latest and greatest" isnt the best, especially when we are talking about RC Race engines. look at the p5, would suit 95% of all racers but 50% of them chose a engine nearly 3 times the price...

i had the original R5r engine, we could pit at 9:30 on a medium sized track... went to a AD speed that got Tuned by Adam himself and we ran out at 9:21... (same track etc etc)

The only worthy upgrade on Any RC race engine is DLC crank and improvements to a carb and maybe plugs.. we are at a Halt Engine wise these days. anymore power is too much.
something to try is a SH engine or LS5 from amain... cheap as.. and have good power and reliability.
Yes, I understand all over the above, I’ve been doing this for a while. Just wanted more feedback about the engine because I saw 11min on a Facebook post.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Need some help getting my Reds back together. How many head shims are used on the R5 Team motor? I took it apart last season and cannot recall how many I took off. Thanks,

Last edited by speedy G; 04-12-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Anyone have recommendations for Reds Pinch Services ? Thanks
Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tobamiester
Anyone have recommendations for Reds Pinch Services ? Thanks
https://www.rcrenew.com/services.html

He is a member here too.
tobamiester likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Question about EightX/engine horsepower

So I have a general question about buggies and nitro engines, but I own an Eight X, so I thought it would be best to post here. I am currently about to purchase a new engine, and I am torn. What my question is, is you always see Reds engines in the TLR pictures of their buggies. The Corsa Lunga model, usually. Those things have 3.5 horsepower, according to official distributors, in a .21 engine! And all the other brands like Picco, O.S, and the like, typically only put out between 2.5-2.7 horsepower. So what’s the deal here? Is an engine that puts out 3.5 hp practical for a buggy? And why are all the other brands so much lower in horsepower, if that’s not the preferred amount?? I ask this, because I only buy a new engine, once every couple of years, so I wanna get the best that I can right now, and price tag isn’t necessarily a concern for me. I wanted to post this and hopefully get some opinions/answers on this topic from you all. Because I’ve always heard that when choosing an engine, you want to go with more horsepower than torque in an engine, because you can always gear for torque, but there is no way of “gearing” more horsepower. Horsepower is not “gearable”. So what is everyone’s thought on this? Will a Reds Corsa Lunga be super legit in an Eight X buggy, or is that just overkill? Because I am definitely leaning towards the Reds, but again, don’t know what the deal is with such the drastic difference in horsepower from other typical mills you see in nitro buggies. Again, just looking for some thoughts/opinions/advice on this conundrum before I pull the trigger. Thanks for all your input in advance!!

Chad
Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by xlrsd
So I have a general question about buggies and nitro engines, but I own an Eight X, so I thought it would be best to post here. I am currently about to purchase a new engine, and I am torn. What my question is, is you always see Reds engines in the TLR pictures of their buggies. The Corsa Lunga model, usually. Those things have 3.5 horsepower, according to official distributors, in a .21 engine! And all the other brands like Picco, O.S, and the like, typically only put out between 2.5-2.7 horsepower. So what’s the deal here? Is an engine that puts out 3.5 hp practical for a buggy? And why are all the other brands so much lower in horsepower, if that’s not the preferred amount?? I ask this, because I only buy a new engine, once every couple of years, so I wanna get the best that I can right now, and price tag isn’t necessarily a concern for me. I wanted to post this and hopefully get some opinions/answers on this topic from you all. Because I’ve always heard that when choosing an engine, you want to go with more horsepower than torque in an engine, because you can always gear for torque, but there is no way of “gearing” more horsepower. Horsepower is not “gearable”. So what is everyone’s thought on this? Will a Reds Corsa Lunga be super legit in an Eight X buggy, or is that just overkill? Because I am definitely leaning towards the Reds, but again, don’t know what the deal is with such the drastic difference in horsepower from other typical mills you see in nitro buggies. Again, just looking for some thoughts/opinions/advice on this conundrum before I pull the trigger. Thanks for all your input in advance!!

Chad
The corsa(as with all reds) is a picco based engine... pick any engine on the market that you like, some tune different etc. unless your a pro i wouldnt be spending big $$$ theres ZERO need to spend more than 350 on an engine, engines even 159(the protek ls5) would be more than fine for any club racer
tobamiester likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

The corsa(as with all reds) is a picco based engine... pick any engine on the market that you like, some tune different etc. unless your a pro i wouldnt be spending big $$$ theres ZERO need to spend more than 350 on an engine, engines even 159(the protek ls5) would be more than fine for any club racer
so would you say that tuning on a Reds is harder, or tunes differently?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlrsd

so would you say that tuning on a Reds is harder, or tunes differently?
your asking a very political question. You will get people who love reds and some that will say they suck. I personally am on the negative side of that answer as I’ve had terrible luck tuning picco based engines and I’ve had a few. I’ve read a lot of people say tuning these days are much better but I still see people say they are among the more difficult to tune and I believe that and would steer clear of an engine that takes a very expert tuning finger. You sound like your still getting the ropes of things and a lot of people will agree when I say get an O.S. Especially if you can afford it, they tune very very easy and usually don’t require a ton of tuning and they have incredible track records (especially if they have a dlc coated crank) and they have a lot of very high quality drivers. I don’t want to talk about what happened at the worlds with reds and os but let’s just say there top driver put a reds head on an o.s. Engine and that driver was having trouble with the reds and wasn’t willing to risk another worlds flame out so he used the very very solid performing o.s. And he almost won with it and had one of the best engines on track.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt Piva

your asking a very political question. You will get people who love reds and some that will say they suck. I personally am on the negative side of that answer as I’ve had terrible luck tuning picco based engines and I’ve had a few. I’ve read a lot of people say tuning these days are much better but I still see people say they are among the more difficult to tune and I believe that and would steer clear of an engine that takes a very expert tuning finger. You sound like your still getting the ropes of things and a lot of people will agree when I say get an O.S. Especially if you can afford it, they tune very very easy and usually don’t require a ton of tuning and they have incredible track records (especially if they have a dlc coated crank) and they have a lot of very high quality drivers. I don’t want to talk about what happened at the worlds with reds and os but let’s just say there top driver put a reds head on an o.s. Engine and that driver was having trouble with the reds and wasn’t willing to risk another worlds flame out so he used the very very solid performing o.s. And he almost won with it and had one of the best engines on track.
to be honest, brotha, that’s what I have heard the most, negatively speaking about Reds, was the difficulty in tuning. So thank you, it sounds like this is across the board opinion wise. You may have swayed me back to an O.S. So let me ask, which OS would you believe is the absolute best for a buggy? I’ve heard the Speed V2, but I don’t know if that’s still the case. Any suggestions on what is considered the “best, fastest” engine for a buggy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.