Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Cold Fusion Fuel Test results >

Cold Fusion Fuel Test results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cold Fusion Fuel Test results

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default Cold Fusion Fuel Test results

Hello everyone, I just wanted to show some results of the Cold Fusion Fuel test results I performed with 2 other local drivers. What we did is took 3 brand new Novarossi engines, 2 being Plus 4's and my personal N21R and ran 2 gallons of fuel through them without teardown, after run oil or any other type of additives of any kind as all 3 fuels tested claim they do not require any after run additives of any kind. All three engines were outfitted with OEM steel bearings to keep results fair. The fuels that were tested were:

Cold Fusion 30% Majic Blend

Sidewinder 30%

Nitrotane 30%

What we found after the two gallon mark was the Cold Fusion Fuel protected the engine far better than the other 2. The N21R with 2 gallons of Cold Fusion looked almost like the day I assembled it with no signs of corrosion in or around the bearings. The rod and crank pin were so close to new stock specs that it was almost undetectable and the engine had a nice coating of oil left over after the alcohol and nitro evaperated.

The Nitrotane run Plus 4 was a different story. The engine when disassembled was very dry inside with a nice layer of corrosion forming on all the steel componants including the balls of the bearings. The engine was disassembled and what we found was the crank pin was .001" out, the rod was .002" making it a total of .003" out which in my opinion is border line replacement time. The rear bearing had so much corrosion forming on the races and balls that it actually started to pit the balls causing flat spots and the engine needs a full set of replacement bearings at this time.

The Sidewinder run Plus 4 was a similar story as the Nitrotane run Plus 4. It also had signs of corrosion throughout the engine with the additon of a layer of red dye that was left over after the alcohol and nitro evaporated. The rear bearing also had slight pitting and like the nitrotane run Plus 4, needed a full bearing replacement.

On another note, while all 3 engines had very good compression and all 3 ran like a top up until the 2 gallon mark, the N21R with the Cold Fusion had twice the mechanical pinch as the other two engines and had less signs of blow by and that is due to the superior oil protection the fuel has. The better quality castor the fuel has, the higher tolerance to heat it has which results is less breakdown and the more oil that the oil rings can retain results in more compression, less blow by which also equates to more engine power and efficiency.

Here are a few shots of the engines after the 2 gallon mark. The title of the pictures will indicate what fuel what used.
Attached Thumbnails Cold Fusion Fuel Test results-cold-fusion-results.jpg   Cold Fusion Fuel Test results-nitrotane-results.jpg   Cold Fusion Fuel Test results-nitrotane-results-2.jpg   Cold Fusion Fuel Test results-sidewinder-results.jpg   Cold Fusion Fuel Test results-sidewinder-results-2.jpg  

Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

That's what I have found running the cold fusion magic blend. My engines last longer and show signs of less wear. I recently put up pics of a speed engine with 7.5 gallons on it and it looked like brand new. I replaced the p/s/r just because I didn't want it to have any issues at the big races I was gong to attend bit I passed that 7.5 gal p/s/r down to a buddy of mine and he threw it in a vspec and could not believe all the power that it had. The cold fusion fuel is just far superior to any other fuel out there. It's all I run through my mills. Thanks for the pics. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words andtheres no way to argue with pictures.

Last edited by Frank L; 04-27-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

seeing is believing
I know I have a speed that I have been running
for just at a year now on Cold fusion fuel only
majic 30%. lost count of the gallons that I have ran
throw it but we will say a lot the p/s are in good shape
and running strong
Old 04-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

What is the oil percentage in the Majic and Race blends? I may give this fuel a try. I'm happy with Byron's but I've heard nothing but good things about coldfusion.....
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Awesome tests...I personally don't like Nitrotane at all...wicked running fuel, makes wicked power...but its lubrication is terrible...I have seen many engines lose the bottom rod bushing while running nitrotane.... way too dry of a fuel for my taste !
Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

This isn't related to Cold Fusion Fuel, but relevant to the subject. I did an 8-car shootout in RC Nitro Magazine 10 years ago with all the hottest buggies at the time. Each was outfitted with the same engines and used the same fuel. In this article, we used Picco G1 buggy engines and used Trinity Monster Horsepower fuel. Well, I got the notion to rebuild one of the three buggies I still have from the shootout, which is a Mugen MBX4-XR Works. I recall having completed the article and racing the car for abotu half the season before putting in on the shelf without having added any After Run or other corrosion inhibitor. The pictures here show the inside of the engine after 10 YEARS. I was expecting some corrosion after that many years but was surprised to find NONE.
Attached Thumbnails Cold Fusion Fuel Test results-dsc_7828_lr.jpg   Cold Fusion Fuel Test results-dsc_7833_lr.jpg  
Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Here are the pics of that 7.5 gallon speed engine I was talking about.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Torian4000
What is the oil percentage in the Majic and Race blends? I may give this fuel a try. I'm happy with Byron's but I've heard nothing but good things about coldfusion.....
The majic blend has 11% oil content and it is composed of a castor synthetic blend made by Klotz. Ron also makes fuel in 20 and 25% with oil contents anywhere from 9% race to 16% breakin blends. He also makes what they call Fusion Booster which will add nitro content to any brand of fuel and what they call Fusion Lube which will raise the oil content of any fuel brand. The Fusion Lube will mix with any brand of fuel and oil and will stay suspended indefinately.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Here is a shot of my Plus28-3 that I just took the back plate off and snapped a shot of the internals. This engine has about 1 gallon through it believe it or not. I could sell it as a brand new engine by the way it looks
Attached Thumbnails Cold Fusion Fuel Test results-cold-fusion-28-3.jpg  
Old 04-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i have the same results with the race blend fuel,my ninja had three gallons on it and tore it down and was amazed pictures or words wont do it justice.
i believe if we dyno the fuel we would see it also has more power and idles smoother then any other fuel i have ran.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You guys have me interested in this fuel.. What percentage and blend would you recommend for running a Werks B5 at the sportsman level? I have been running Byrons 30/11. Also.. what are the shipping times like? Let me know.. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

I running 30% majic blend for about a year now and I love it, smooth idle no chasing tune the fuel is the best so far I use Trinity Platinum and Byrons for over 5 years and I like Cold Fusion the best.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pfunk66
You guys have me interested in this fuel.. What percentage and blend would you recommend for running a Werks B5 at the sportsman level? I have been running Byrons 30/11. Also.. what are the shipping times like? Let me know.. Thanks.
I would run the Cold Fusion 30% Majic Blend it has the same oil as the Byron's 11% and it is the fuel i run and LOVE. I changed over from Bryon's and will never Look Back. You will see Lower Temps with the Cold Fusion fuel when you change over from Bryon's i have showed TONS of guys at my track how good Cold Fusion keeps the temps down in Long 30-40 Min Maine's.

Just gone to let you guys know i will have a lot of Cold Fusion for sale at the 2010 AMS if any one needs any just let me know THANKS.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

how about a test with Cold Fusion, Odonnell, and Byrons???
I realize this is by no means a cheap way to do a test but out my way those are the popular fuels
Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I believe Mark to be a stand up guy. These are the type of results I like to see. I hear so many racers after running half a gallon of their "New" fuel of choice and say "I love this stuff, it awesome" now how the hell do you know if a fuel is good until you really run 3-6 gallons of it? I mean, it is hilarious when I hear these guys.

Ron has sent me some 30% Race, how does that compare to the Magic Blend?

Also, I does NOT matter on bit what the "Pros" use, it is free and they do not run their motors as long as we all do. I know most of them have their motors pinched quite often for maximum power, so you cannot ask a Pro, he will tell you to buy whatever he is given.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.