Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Water cooling; I think would be a good thing, but with a non ringed engine
there could be problems especially break-in and warm-ups. Keeping an engines
temperature constant after warm-ups and break-in should help performance
and longevity. Pre-heating would be more complex, plus the extra weight of a
radiater, pump and hoses may not be worth the benefits.

P/S it seems to work for marine non ringed nitro engines.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Has there ever been a ringed engine that could rev to the speeds necessary for cars?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if nitro is going to be a force in the future, something needs to change.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Plus for someone like me that does not necessarily want to race all the time, but would want a good engine that last more then five gallons.

I think it would be great for the hobbie. And if it ever starts being considered by major manufactures it could get developed to the point where P/S nitros are obsolete.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
if nitro is going to be a force in the future, something needs to change.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Plus for someone like me that does not necessarily want to race all the time, but would want a good engine that last more then five gallons.

I think it would be great for the hobbie. And if it ever starts being considered by major manufactures it could get developed to the point where P/S nitros are obsolete.
5 Gallons sounds like more tunning and engine maintence are in order LOL. Should last longer than that specially if you dont race all the time as you say.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JBURCH
5 Gallons sounds like more tunning and engine maintence are in order LOL. Should last longer than that specially if you dont race all the time as you say.
According to the sigs, he is running and OS Ninja, you are running a Nova. That's why you two disagree about durability
Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

There are inherent problems with a glow engine having inconsistent cooling and not just for the sake of removing heat.

Then as mentioned there is the weight, the damage factor and cost.

However, you have to admit that Grossi makes some really cool looking equipment.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Lord

By the way, Grossi has also an exhaust listed on the EFRA list so I think serious racing is in their mind.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Has there ever been a ringed engine that could rev to the speeds necessary for cars?
I didn't notice it had rings that would mean The sleeve doesn't get a tighter fit as the piston goes up right? That would probly make the engine last longer seeing it won't die after losing pinch because pinch won't matter now?

I dont no a whole lot about engine outside our nitro engines so go easy on me lol
Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One thing is for sure, this engine is significantly shorter than a standard air cooled nitro engine. It looks to me like this radiator setup would be very difficult to use effectively on a current nitro buggy due to the tiny bodies, but with a reshaped body to provide adequate airflow the radiator could be placed in a different location than it is in the photos.
Liquid cooled engine set+conversion kit= Viable product?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Lord

Another idea: why not run the cooling fluid through the biggest piece of aluminum on the car, the chassis?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Another idea: why not run the cooling fluid through the biggest piece of aluminum on the car, the chassis?
Wouldn't help much. Most of the heat in the engine stays above the engine mount. Fuel going through the crankcase keeps the bottom of the crankcase pretty cool until you shut it off or idle for a while. Then all that heat in the head soaks down into the crankcase and chassis.

Also, the only point of contact is the engine mounts. Not much surface area to draw the heat through.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Lord

Sorry I didn't convey the idea well, what I meant was running fluid through the chassis from the head, effectively making the chassis the radiator.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Sorry I didn't convey the idea well, what I meant was running fluid through the chassis from the head, effectively making the chassis the radiator.
I don't think I fully understand what you are saying, it kinda sounds like ur saying make a chassis plate that can hold water starting from the front of the chassis? If so that just sounds like a bad idea lol what's wrong with the radiator u can move it wherever u want so I'm sure finding a place safe isn't going to be hard especially with a truggy maybe in buggy it's more vulnerable but the idea of a water cooled engine for nitro is ground breaking we now have a new idea to work with kinda like when motorcycle bikes started having water cooled engines back in the 70s.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

I will admit, I didn't read this whole thread but, what about the pump? Is it belt drive or electrical? Belt drive would rob power making people lean em too much. Electric power would mean less runtimes. This seeems like the nitrous injection thing all over again.....not to mention, what about keeping the dust from gumming up the radiator? Lord knows a splash n dash of fuel gets everywhere, witch the dust is attracted to like a magnet. Then brings to mind bearings in the pump goin out in a main. Seems like fancy snake oil if you will
Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

I think the future of nitro lies in runtimes. These engines are getting better and better in runtimes. With alot of local club races not being able to fill the void of 1/8th electric buggy/truggy(not for long though) they mix the classes. long run times for nitro will win the war.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.