Like Tree349Likes

NOVAROSSI Engine thread....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geforce
yes it was without the backplate .

i managed to rid of the friction though when i tighten up the werks flywheel it isnt as free spinning.

i need to tighten up the nut real tight so the flywheel doesnt slip.

when i spin the flywheel it only spins once like a 360 turn and if i turn it with my hand it feels better then before mnore (loose)

though it doesnt spin free like a clutchbell does. is that normal?

its from the flywhell nut tightening up pulling the crank pressure on the inner of the bearing which is pressure on the balls from the inner of bearing being pressure pulled . lol is this normal?
I think I follow you. The flywheel will never spin as freely as a clutchbell due to normal resistance from the engine bearings, conrod, piston/sleeve, etc. New engine bearings will have more resistance than well run engine bearings. If there is no binding or gritty/rough feeling when rolling over the flywheel I say install the engine and run it easy for the new bearings to seat themselves. At that point you could remove it and check the feel again. Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scrapsz
Hey their Rob...nice to hear from you. Last we spoke you were struggling a bit with your health. Was thinking about you over the holidays, gosh I hope you're doing better these days. Sure miss racing with you, we always have a blast.

Well said...slick indeed. And to think we should all have electric smooth trigger fingers by now, right?
Rising up from the ashes, lol. My piss and vinegar levels are rising again finally. Health is good now and '15 is looking good for racing thank God. Hope you're doing well buddy. I'll be seeing you at LCRC.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by am
Thats because the 9853 is not EFRA/IFMAR leagal. It has not been for many many MANY years. That is why the PRO drives does not use it.... Outside the US anyway .-)
Wowza

I am referring to us pro drivers

9886 is not "efra legal" either
Old 01-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
there is no contest Monty.... your pipe choices are why you and others think this engine is soft on the bottom end....... 2084/41005 was horrendous dude, you recommend this to people and its no wonder they all come back saying the engine is soft down low.....
Btw ,i did not recommend 2084 setup

i wasnt much a fan of that pipe , it was ok

I have said if you want a pipe that is "like" the 9853 but efra legal then 2084 is the closest thing
Old 01-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hambone
Rising up from the ashes, lol. My piss and vinegar levels are rising again finally. Health is good now and '15 is looking good for racing thank God. Hope you're doing well buddy. I'll be seeing you at LCRC.
That's great news Rob, I am so happy to hear you're doing better. Yessir, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You made your point Neal, many times on this thread.

Most tracks in the US don't have the grip of yours or 160' straightaways. I've tried your combo on a tuned Bonito and stock Keep-Off XLS...the truggy was undriveable, the powerband was simply retarded. Oh sure, it had bottom, top, mid, upper, lower, and everywhere in between power. I re-clutched and while it helped the power was too much for the surface even when the moisture/grip came up. If I was drag racing or on a very, very high grip track treated with sugar or such , then maybe but otherwise such a pipe/header combo would be a waste of money. I'm not the only one, there have been others in my region who tried and went back to the recommended 9901/021 setup. Is is ideal? Maybe/maybe not...but it works very well for me and my driving style which is fast but not overly aggressive.

Be nice...humility is your friend.
As i said before...if you wish to neuter the engine down for a slippery track then run the other pipe combo's recommended here.....However not everyone runs on skating rink like conditions, some even run on traction like us... I seen your posts stating how the P5 has stronger bottom then the Bonito and that is only due to your pipe choices and nothing else..... As when each engine is setup to its fullest 2058 on P5, 9886 on Bonito ( Stock Bonito ) the Bonito has much more grunt then the P5 does off the bottom end....On our conditions a stock Bonito on a 9886/41001 will barely spin the tires in a truggy, the power feels smooth and linear from bottom to top......I was actually surprised how nice the stock engine pulled down low, it has wicked grunt for a .21
Old 01-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hello, can anyone help with a recommendation on a pipe/manifold for the S21P5XLT engine, it will be going in a truggy. The only pipes I have now are WERKS 2058 and 2013 if I could use either of those that would be great!
Thank you

Last edited by RC-ZOMBIE; 01-21-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
As i said before...if you wish to neuter the engine down for a slippery track then run the other pipe combo's recommended here.....However not everyone runs on skating rink like conditions, some even run on traction like us... I seen your posts stating how the P5 has stronger bottom then the Bonito and that is only due to your pipe choices and nothing else..... As when each engine is setup to its fullest 2058 on P5, 9886 on Bonito ( Stock Bonito ) the Bonito has much more grunt then the P5 does off the bottom end....On our conditions a stock Bonito on a 9886/41001 will barely spin the tires in a truggy, the power feels smooth and linear from bottom to top......I was actually surprised how nice the stock engine pulled down low, it has wicked grunt for a .21
The Bonito, or some variation of it (Keep Off-7, Toro Nero, and Paloma) are my engine of choice for Truggy. I own both stock Bonito's and Clocked versions from Neal, and I must say that I would never think of running a 9901 on any of them! Even with the brutal power that Neal's Bonito makes, its still drivable with a 9886, although I will say that since I have a heavy finger, I've raced on a few tracks where I pulled the modded Bonito in place of a stock one. I almost always ran one of Neal's modded 4-ports in Buggy, mostly with a 9901, but occasionally with a 9886 and a short curved manifold, depending on the layout of the track. I guess it all comes down to feel and preference.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE
Hello, can anyone help with a recommendation on a pipe/manifold for the S21P5XLT engine, it will be going in a truggy. The only pipes I have now are WERKS 2058 and 2013 if I could use either of those that would be great!
Thank you
You wont go wrong with either of those pipes. I think you'll find that the 2013 is more aggressive, and that the 2058 is has "nearly" the same power, but is smoother and has better fuel mileage.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sean Pryce
You wont go wrong with either of those pipes. I think you'll find that the 2013 is more aggressive, and that the 2058 is has "nearly" the same power, but is smoother and has better fuel mileage.
Yes that is my experience with those pipes and my Werks B2
Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Does anybody know if you can use Werks #5 and #6 plugs with the Nova S21P5XLT?

Last edited by RC-ZOMBIE; 01-22-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

I think I follow you. The flywheel will never spin as freely as a clutchbell due to normal resistance from the engine bearings, conrod, piston/sleeve, etc. New engine bearings will have more resistance than well run engine bearings. If there is no binding or gritty/rough feeling when rolling over the flywheel I say install the engine and run it easy for the new bearings to seat themselves. At that point you could remove it and check the feel again. Hope this helps.
hey yo i ended up installing the novarossi rear ceramic bearing.

all sorted thanks

Last edited by geforce; 01-22-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Hi.
What do you think of the new 24067 3 needle carburator on the newest Keep Off engines compared to the normal Novarossi carburator?
Thanks gentlemen
Old 01-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

must say thankyou to neal. from clockwork. for his advice.

my engine isnt even a clocked roma (yet). and he is a knowledgable and good bloke.

my next engine is going to be a clockwork i think. clocked roma whoooaaaa
Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Plug swap?

I've just recently come back to nitro and I have a question about glow plugs. I broke in my P5 with the plug that came with it, then I ran it for 1 practice day with the supplied plug. After talking with the lhs guys, they recommended that I switch to the plug one step colder because of our current cold temperatures which are between 40 and 60 degrees. I've changed to a Novarossi #5 plug. My 1st question is, what direction will the tune of my motor go? ie, will I be leaning or richening it? My 2nd question is, at what ambient temperature should I go to the #6 plug?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.