Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pipe Coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

Ceramic Coating,

i havent see this for some time, well for a R/C car application for a bit.....
man we been doing this for "Years" !!! but mostly for Headers on car exhaust systems,Blocks,engine heads,underside of hoods etc.
all that stuff....
it's pretty handy....since as well can withstand temps of 1300 deg. easily
one of the newest types a Metallic Ceramic is all the rage nowdays, just did some for one of the New Shelby Mustangs for a car show,(dang those new cars are "Expensive"!!..LOL)

yea, a R/C pipe be around 20.00 bucks,
we used to sell the Coatings but now just do it in house......
mostly cause people did not usually have the equipment to do it??
one of the machine shops we deal with does allot of this as well
D&B Designs they also just started making Short course bodies and now make a few others as well....but for the coatings he doesnt have any retail "Walk-in" since most of his stuff is "Contract"
(industrail)
i used to run it on my pipes? and to really notice any differances you'll have to add a deicent amount....well for "Performance Wise"
what it will do is portect the pipes a little better,almost like Hard Anodizing say like a JP style pipe....for weight? well if anyone was worried about adding a few "Micro-Grams of weight" no you wouldnt want this? would add about as much as a single sunflower seed? if that?
now where did we notice any performance gains?
well we noticed big gains in Turbos,and Intake manifolds, and engine parts ran cooler.....
did i notice any in my little r/c pipe....still not sure??

for stinks and Giggles we did a Piston and Holw Cow!!! yea, was NICE !!! ,performance, yes did a old Nova P5 and it was a significant power increase,because could run some things a little leaner,and the fuel did not need to do as Much of the "Cooling" because most items that become Ceramic Coated will stay cooler, so a engine block on a Mustang or a chevy motor this can help,turbos stuff like that.....

"Now" some R/C motors are already like that the pistons have a higher "Silica Content" and some may now find some motors take allot longer to "Break In" a gallon sometimes up to 2....

down side,for the little pipes? cant do it on a used pipe,can do it on a "New-Un-Used" pipe, you could on a used pipe? but one would need to be sure "Every single" bit of grime any oil,caster residue,nothing can be left....."Because" it WILL come off,if your pipe is not totaly "Clean"
now if to gain some good performance if "Coating the Outside"
to really Notice it, you would need to Cyrogenicly "Freeze" it,then coat it.....
Musicians have done this for years to there Saxaphones,and wind Insturments,helps for a better "Tone"
they dont Coat there insturments with a ceramic coating! but when they freeze them hey Do sound "Better"
so i tried that,and i noticed a "Difference" but can only be done as well with a "New Item" is it worth it...???
i dont know depends on the Individual....????????
i tried this was it better...??? well still up in the air on this? but it DID have a VERY Noticeable "Tone" to it....sounded like a Old School YZ-450 punched out and Jetted......sounded pretty "Mean" !!!!

if done on just the outside? well can help but would need enough of the coating to "Effect" how the Pipe "Reacts"
now i still do my pipes,cause there Waaaayyyyy Easier to clean,and nothing really sticks to them!!! did my 2060 pipes my 9901 pipes and my Werks pipes and there easier to clean and stay looking newer...
and can you go too thick...?? OH YEA !!! in general the most you would want to go is about .0015 is the max !!!
after that it can crack flake in the worst case Bubble up because it is too thick......
and does it help...??? well this much for sure doesnt hurt to "Try It"
Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rpm1968
Road Racer, we're think 25 for pipe and header.

Cerakote™ Micro Slick is a (dry) film lubricant that withstands high temperatures and extreme pressures. This coating lubricates, resists wear, and acts as an anti-seize agent while preventing galvanic corrosion. With this unique composition, Micro Slick is virtually unaffected by temperatures ranging between 800-12000 F. Retaining excellent coefficient of friction where most solid (DRY) film lubricants fail, Micro Slick’s formulation prevents surface-to-surface contact, thus reducing friction and wear between mating surfaces. The exceptionally high shear resistance of Micro Slick enables surfaces to operate with extremely low friction.

I did some diff. stuff to check it out.
Bump....

this is interesting. any updates at all?

it seams that the many drop the balls due to low demand, but it was 2 years ago. Maybe things have change now? I'll be on board for sure.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...824-56488.aspx

http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/

http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/finishes/C-110HQ/