New ORION ALPHA 3-PORT

Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New ORION ALPHA 3-PORT

Can't wait for this motor to come out, it looked super fast and smooth at the Nitro Challenge and Cody King set early TQ with it. I was told it is Sirio based not Picco but Orion will have both. The case did not look like any other Sirio I have seen and neither did the carb.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Hi Marcus, thanks for starting this thread, great idea. I will be in here sharing as much as possible about the new engine. Of course we are very pleased with it thus far. Our engines are not production but it won't be long until we have a part number. We got VERY good mileage in qualifying, with enough fuel to easily go 10 minutes. For some reason in the main the mileage went down. I think I had the tune a little fat. In any case, we had to pit early, but I have no doubt we will hit the 9 minute pit mark soon. In order to go 9, you really need to be able to go 11, so that is our goal, 11 minutes with race conditions. We ran a Sirio #6 turbo plug and OS 2050 pipe. I have been told we will have a full compliment of pipes and plugs as well.

Also, we ran the Orion Alpha ABI (Adrien Bertien Influenced) .24 five port in the truggy, and that thing was unreal. SO much power and we were able to go 9 minutes on fuel without any trouble. Cody won the high jump contest with that engine. You need allot of power to launch the truggy 20 feet vertical!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default hi

the orion alpha looks very impresive in tebo and cody cars @ the nitro chalengue

i would like to know if the .24 its a good one for a truggy cause everybody always use a .21 but i ike it
i have a new lrp .21 would like to know is there is some similaryty in those engines
Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just to clarify, Jared was not running the Alpha series prototype engines. The weather didn't give him a chance to get the engines broken-in and to become comfortable with the driving characteristics before the race. He was running the US Spec Orion .21 engines.

Cody was running the Alpha .21 3-port ABI in buggy and the Alpha .24 ABI engine in truggy, and Cavalieri was running the Alpha 3-port ABI in both buggy and truggy, the latter of which he used to win the A-main at the Nitro Challenge. The Alpha series has very smooth power delivery and excellent fuel economy. It's quite promising based on the initial results.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can people use OS P3 plug on the Alpha line? Thx
Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

isn't the Alpha .24 the same as the sirio built Extech .24 ?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
Hi Marcus, thanks for starting this thread, great idea. I will be in here sharing as much as possible about the new engine. Of course we are very pleased with it thus far. Our engines are not production but it won't be long until we have a part number. We got VERY good mileage in qualifying, with enough fuel to easily go 10 minutes. For some reason in the main the mileage went down. I think I had the tune a little fat. In any case, we had to pit early, but I have no doubt we will hit the 9 minute pit mark soon. In order to go 9, you really need to be able to go 11, so that is our goal, 11 minutes with race conditions. We ran a Sirio #6 turbo plug and OS 2050 pipe. I have been told we will have a full compliment of pipes and plugs as well.

Also, we ran the Orion Alpha ABI (Adrien Bertien Influenced) .24 five port in the truggy, and that thing was unreal. SO much power and we were able to go 9 minutes on fuel without any trouble. Cody won the high jump contest with that engine. You need allot of power to launch the truggy 20 feet vertical!

Hey Pitpop
I know you guys were under the gun but were any other pipes tested with the motor?? I have been particular to the jp series so I was just wondering..
thanks
MO
Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm also curious about the new Alpha line.
How will it compare to the picco based CRF line? (price, performance)
Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AndyItalia68 View Post
Can people use OS P3 plug on the Alpha line? Thx
Yes, the Alpha ABI engines are coming with an insert made for use with "turbo" glowplugs. A P3 would be a good choice, as well as a Team Orion 5 or 6.

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
isn't the Alpha .24 the same as the sirio built Extech .24 ?
I have to imagine there are similarities, but at first glance, the block is not the same as the Sirio. I don't have an Extech engine, and I have yet to measure all the timing events of either engine. Once that is complete, then I will be better able to answer your question.

Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
I'm also curious about the new Alpha line.
How will it compare to the picco based CRF line? (price, performance)
Thanks
The prices look like they will be comparable between the two engine lines. As for performance, the Alpha engines appear to have much smoother power dlivery and better fuel economy. The Picco based engines have very good power, especially on the bottom end, but their fuel economy is not as good. My personal preference and that of the team drivers tends to favor the characteristics of the Alpha line, but that's individual choice. The Picco based engine seems to have too much bottom-end power, which can make the car difficult to control when accelerating. Most of the pro drivers lean towards smoother, more linear throttle response to avoid wheel spin. Throwing a lot of dirt around looks impressive, but it tends to compromise lap times and consistency.

They're both very good, powerful engines. It's simply a matter of choice as to the type of power you prefer. The Alpha is smooth on the bottom end and strong at mid to high speed and the US Spec is really strong on the bottom and mid range and at least competitive on the top end.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thx for the quick reply. If I can ask, some big uses CRF clutch or which kind of clutch seems to work at best with the CRF Alphas? Thx again
Old 02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

okay. But I heard the Alpha line is going to be a bit cheaper (than the CRF), or not? So the Alpha line is better on the top end compared to the picco based mills? The .24 looks like a good engine for my Truggy. It's a Hyper Pro, and its a bit heavier than the newer Truggies on the market, so does need a strong engine. But maybe .21 CRF will do the job, because it already has lots of power, right? But the smoother acceleration on the Alpha sounds good too... Since I used to drive fast 1/10 off-road electric.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastguy1 View Post
Hey Pitpop
I know you guys were under the gun but were any other pipes tested with the motor?? I have been particular to the jp series so I was just wondering..
thanks
MO
I ran the US spec engine with a JP-3 pipe this past weekend. Engine had tons of power with runtimes over 10 minutes.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1fastguy1 View Post
Hey Pitpop
thanks
MO
You're right, we were in a hurry to run the engines and get happy with them in a short period of time (which we did! lol). All I can say is the .24 seems real happy with the 2013 pipe. On the 3 port, we went from a 2013 to the 2050, and Cody came off the stand and said, "...so good!" so that's what we used.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Speaking of new equipment and to keep down on starting a new thread has anyone got any experience with the Orion Vortex servos. I looked at them on orion's website a while back and now I saw them out at Stormer hobbies for a really good price for the amount of speed and torque you get with a digital servo. Are they durable and what type of warranty do they have?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by driverbob View Post
Speaking of new equipment and to keep down on starting a new thread has anyone got any experience with the Orion Vortex servos. I looked at them on orion's website a while back and now I saw them out at Stormer hobbies for a really good price for the amount of speed and torque you get with a digital servo. Are they durable and what type of warranty do they have?
I don't know anything about the servos, but there is a thread on Orion servos, you might want to check it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service