Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4 >

New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4

New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4

Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

CaseyP I went & checked your specs as a base tune(ones made with a depth measure not a turn) the other day.Does off the shelf mean open the box & check or a stock motor that you had tuned?.Did they change the carb at all when they changed to the 09 motor? When turned back to stock(where I measured when box was open)my idle screw was almost the exact same but top was above flush(4 1/8 out),setting sheet sayes it should be 3.5 out & thats still .18 in from flush & bottom was 5 out like the sheet says & thats .56 out from flush. I didnt bother writing down where they were before I reset them to stock after running last week but I will check again after tuning in practice next week & measure where I'm at then but 1.25 mm leaner on the bottom sounds like a lot. Though I did have those odd flame outs & motor got hotter than I like.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chuckinator
So the rod gets lubricated at the top of the cycle when everything is being ignighted? Wouldn't everything be a gas at that point and be ontop of the piston and not below it?
sorry chuck , next time ............................

Last edited by houston; 07-08-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by butch man
CaseyP I went & checked your specs as a base tune(ones made with a depth measure not a turn) the other day.Does off the shelf mean open the box & check or a stock motor that you had tuned?.Did they change the carb at all when they changed to the 09 motor? When turned back to stock(where I measured when box was open)my idle screw was almost the exact same but top was above flush(4 1/8 out),setting sheet sayes it should be 3.5 out & thats still .18 in from flush & bottom was 5 out like the sheet says & thats .56 out from flush. I didnt bother writing down where they were before I reset them to stock after running last week but I will check again after tuning in practice next week & measure where I'm at then but 1.25 mm leaner on the bottom sounds like a lot. Though I did have those odd flame outs & motor got hotter than I like.
By off the shelf I mean a standard engine that anyone could by from the hobby shop. I wanted to clarify that so you wouldn't think this was from one of my factory engines. This was a race tune for my area and the pipe combo that I use. It may not be perfect for every body's set up or area but should be close.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply,it makes more sence now.

Next question,Houston told me before since I came from picco that Novas tune diferently. Is really lean bottom(relative to picco evo 2) the same as differently? I thought driving from the stand with no pit guy to fiddle & check for me that my +4 was lean on bottom due to sound but had no normal physical signs of too lean while driving,now I'm thinking my flame outs were not from a lean problem but a rich problem & the motor is strong enough with a 053 to just run fairly good a bit rich down low,that might also explain the differences in caseys measurments on low jet screw. Or am I looking at it wrong.I wont be able to hear the motor during practice & track can get dry enough to hide smoke trail so its gonna be yell down to tune by feel & temp but I dont know what this motor should feel like/is capable of. Now are the times I wish I didnt smoke away my memory when younger.I would love to remember exactly what the motor was doing last saturday,it would make next sat much more relaxing.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Thanks for the reply,it makes more sence now.

Next question,Houston told me before since I came from picco that Novas tune diferently. Is really lean bottom(relative to picco evo 2) the same as differently? I thought driving from the stand with no pit guy to fiddle & check for me that my +4 was lean on bottom due to sound but had no normal physical signs of too lean while driving,now I'm thinking my flame outs were not from a lean problem but a rich problem & the motor is strong enough with a 053 to just run fairly good a bit rich down low,that might also explain the differences in caseys measurments on low jet screw. Or am I looking at it wrong.I wont be able to hear the motor during practice & track can get dry enough to hide smoke trail so its gonna be yell down to tune by feel & temp but I dont know what this motor should feel like/is capable of. Now are the times I wish I didnt smoke away my memory when younger.I would love to remember exactly what the motor was doing last saturday,it would make next sat much more relaxing.
oh those times when we were all younger
some never grew/grow up power to the people

on most all novarossi engines i notice that with a top end pipeset like 9886 that the lsn is usually a little leaner than with say a 9853 pipe setup .

check with chuckinator though good times
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

so casey when u say in from flush u mean the whole low speed neddle flush from the carb??...my lsn still shows some of the treads and its lean...i dont see how i can lean it out another 2 turns or so...??

houston what about u?...what are some good base needle settings??...
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yeah that's wrong it has to be out from flush i will change that.

hope nobody blew up their stuff!!!

I just checked one of my engines for compairison and it is

.31mm out from flush bottom

4.3mm out from carb body idle screw

.58 in from flush top

sorry guys
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mist467
so casey when u say in from flush u mean the whole low speed neddle flush from the carb??...my lsn still shows some of the treads and its lean...i dont see how i can lean it out another 2 turns or so...??

houston what about u?...what are some good base needle settings??...
i preset the carbs to 4.5 turns out on the lsn ( pulling slide out method ) , 3.75 turns out on hsn (when you hit bottom do it gently )

idle adjusted accordingly .

flush on hsn and lsn is a pretty good starting point
remember all different parts of the country will have very different needle settings and plug requirements .
Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Lots of good info here and good to hear alot of positive responses for the + 4. My +4 in my MP9 has almost two gallons through it and I am very happy. I still have the original glow plug in it and tuning has been fairly easy. Mine has been making good power even with the 6.5 in it and fuel economy has been awesome, like 10:30 to 12:00 depending on track and my driving for the day. LOL

One of the best Nitro motors I have had...
Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Now I dont feel so confused.Those updated settings sound fairly close to where I was. I still gotta figure out those odd flames though. Could be the other brand tank thats modified to work in my car(D8 tank made closer to a losi design),possable clunker hanging up on baffles.Every time it happened I was off throttle I think.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Now I dont feel so confused.Those updated settings sound fairly close to where I was. I still gotta figure out those odd flames though. Could be the other brand tank thats modified to work in my car(D8 tank made closer to a losi design),possable clunker hanging up on baffles.Every time it happened I was off throttle I think.
What glowplug are you using?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

OD77 plug. Was same plug for breakin.Changed plug to new OD77 & let a friend drive the car since his losi killed another servo at begining if day.No flame with new plug but since I was off the stand I was able to see temp high could be old plug was in worse shape than I thought. He ran 3 tanks & car sounded good but,it sounded good for me when it flamed with no warning. Possably plug but including breakin it has less than a full gallon,like 3/4 if I had to guess & I put an extra shim in for breakin(still in)& pre heated for first 20 tanks. I had no issues till after tank 20 I know that for sure. Like I said I'll find out saturday.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

You might want to try the OD99 glowplug. I had some issues this weekend with Novaplugs just flaming when it gets hot. The OD99 glowplug was good all weekend and today. Very stable idle and the tuning window is more adjustable. Buddy said he's running the same glowplug in his Plus-4. He said it was the only glowplug that works without flaming out. I have it in a JP Racing/Novarossi 3 port motor I built and its good to go.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

I have a stash of those I could try,hopefully it wont be so humid this weekend.I also have a bunch of nova plugs from the old days too but I assume without looking that they would all be cold as thats what I ran back then.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I'm in SoFla, so its humid here. The Nova #6 plugs would idle higher than the OD99, but if you tried to adjust the idle or mixture, it would shut off. When it did idle, it would shutoff after WOT. With the OD99 plug, my engine ran at 223F tonight, so I lean it some more and it still ran & idle fine. Was about 245F right off the track. I closed the idle some to lean the LSN a bit more and it still stayed stable, never shut off. This is what I'm used to with the O.S. motors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.