Search
Like Tree138Likes

O.S Engines thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default O.S Engines thread

Hey this forum is for os engines, post how they are going, what have you done to them to make them go better etc, ive got a v-spec, 2gallons old, getting low on compression now for some reason, but she screams, its in my hyper 8.5, see pic, yer so post anything about these engines,

GREAT ENGINES

cheers
mike
Attached Thumbnails O.S Engines thread-hyper-8.5-003.jpg  
Old 08-09-2008, 04:13 AM
Tech Initiate

I have an o.s speed 21 magnesium head.

So far its been a love/hate relationship. The engine screams but it doesnt have the much bottom end. I try to run the stock 16 clutch on my 808 but it kind of bogs on the bottom. And if i try to lean out the bottom it kind of stays on rev. I did change the main last week and it ran a little bit better.

Its funny because my friend has an 808 with 16 clutch bell and it seems to be running a little bit better.

I run with 1.0 kyosho springs now and i just tried 1.1, but i never liked it.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Did ya fix your clutch problem mike?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TTR:EB4
Hey this forum is for os engines, post how they are going, what have you done to them to make them go better etc, ive got a v-spec, 2gallons old, getting low on compression now for some reason, but she screams, its in my hyper 8.5, see pic, yer so post anything about these engines,

GREAT ENGINES

cheers
mike
2 gallons, it has a long life left!!

One older V-Spec with countless fuel ran through it , one 08 V-Spec with 2 gallons, one VG with about 6 gallons, and a Speed with a gallon. I like the 21J carb. All Ive done is rubber seal them at the carb base and pinch bolt. My Speed has killer bottom end, best engine by far.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
2 gallons, it has a long life left!!

One older V-Spec with countless fuel ran through it , one 08 V-Spec with 2 gallons, one VG with about 6 gallons, and a Speed with a gallon. I like the 21J carb. All Ive done is rubber seal them at the carb base and pinch bolt. My Speed has killer bottom end, best engine by far.
Have you had to change the internals on many of these engines?
Rod, piston/sleve, bearings etc?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hans_Andersson

So far its been a love/hate relationship. The engine screams but it doesnt have the much bottom end. I try to run the stock 16 clutch on my 808 but it kind of bogs on the bottom. And if i try to lean out the bottom it kind of stays on rev. I did change the main last week and it ran a little bit better.

Its funny because my friend has an 808 with 16 clutch bell and it seems to be running a little bit better.

I've had similar tuning issues with my speed. I read somewhere here that you can tune the bog out with the mid needle adjustment... Upto 1 turn in, in some cases!

It's meant to allow the engine clear faster off idle? I haven't tried it yet, but i'm keen to give it a try
Old 08-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If have a Speed with no bottom end, you have it tuned backwards. The engine is known for tons of bottom-end power. You need to lean the LSN and when it does high idle, start closing the idle screw on the carb. You will have to most likely richen the HSN, as it appears you compensating the LSN tune with the HSN needle. Mid screw has only been tuned between 2-4 o'clock position with screw flush with carb.

Also, they may move this thread. There is an engine discussion forum area already.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/exclusiv...ngine-zone-71/
Old 08-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have a V-Spec and its the best darn engine I just cant begin to explain how great these are. I'm running the O.S. P3 plug and the JP2 pipe. best combo I have found for my liking.
I also have a O.S. ZX.28 That will light the tires up. I'm running it with the JP3 pipe and O.S. P3 plug. Talk about fast its a rocket but it has a fuel drinking problem.
I think they are the best buy, and they last. Also even if its a loose it will run.
Last night mine was the fastest of the pack in the straight. I tune mine between 230 and 250 run great.
No complaints with mine.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sounds like your clutch is too big, try a 13-14 tooth. Unless your at a track with lonnnng straights you'll never get to use all your engine.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes i guess compression isn't thier strong suit but speed and durability are. I probably won't ru any other engine unless it's free or very cheap. These get great fuel mileage,and run very smooth.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bgbelden
Sounds like your clutch is too big, try a 13-14 tooth. Unless your at a track with lonnnng straights you'll never get to use all your engine.
The internal gear ratio of the 808 is such that it run's a 16 tooth clutch bell as standard. If you run a 13-14 tooth C/B like on most other buggies, it will be severely under driven and have no top end.

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Also, they may move this thread. There is an engine discussion forum area already.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/exclusiv...ngine-zone-71/
yeh but that is a sub-forum of the nitro on-road forum. Why cant this thread be left in the nitro off-road forum where it's still relevant?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

have a OS Speed w 12 Gallons tru him..strong as an OX!!!!! i have this compulsion of changing rods after a break in, i do this in all the motors i have, that and the glow plug.. since then and 12 gallons of sidewinder fuel, no problems at all!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

yea! your clutch bell is way to BIG .... I run the racers edge 13t vented CB.. gives me monster low end!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vsfriedmugan
yea! your clutch bell is way to BIG .... I run the racers edge 13t vented CB.. gives me monster low end!!!

erm i hate to burst your bubble........

but the 16t is stock on the 808 due to its gearing same as with the rc8 which i run with a speed no issues at all
Old 08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Hans, if your OS Speed is bogging on the bottom, lean that LSN out! The OS Speed has the biggest bottom of any motor out there IMO. Every Big race I go to, I see more Semi & Pro drivers use a Speed "if" they don't have a Motor sponsor already. Its a power house!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.