Like Tree138Likes

O.S Engines thread

Old 03-10-2024, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razenzo
Hi Jon,

I looked into this and found that it's not exactly the same when comparing the part numbers. I'm not entirely certain, but upon inspection, it seems there are differences in the crank case, crankshaft, button head, carburetor, and sleeve as you mentioned. They appear to have distinct methods of power delivery as you mentioned. Both engines are 3-port and internally possess very similar carburettor needles.

You seem to be my hero by running both could you let me know a little more on what engine you find better. What is the low end power like and then how does it change with the top end?

whats easer to drive and whats more fun when yo just want to let off some steam?

What do you find with the new 2103/4 22E carb? I've heard some mixed opinions. I have a Ong blue head in a box but was thinking to put on a 21J when I run mine. Also have a ronda drake thats been run in but not raced yet. I still have a few 2103s that I got at a good price that im running laps with.

Hey bud, the AD3 most definitely has a smoother lower to mid. I almost run and almost always run an aluminum 4 piece shoe when running the Drake motor. The WC Ongaro has a massive bottom end hit. I always run a 2 carbon shoe and 2 aluminum clutch shoes when running this motor. It's smooth's the power band and makes it more user friendly on loser conditions. Both carburetors I really can't tell the difference. They both have a very large window of a good tune. From mid to top, the ONG absolutely screams. Not that the AD3 doesn't either. WC Ongaro you can run one pinion tooth higher, to lesson the bottom hit and flame down a straight. I personally run the ONG and have the AD3 ready to go in my pit bag. Also, because it's different and not to many people run them. Guys at my club always drool over that gorgeous blue cooling head.

Back to the carburetor point, I really don't see any huge differences between the two.

Just my two cents brother. I would run the ONG. You'll love it.

Jon

Thx
Old 04-24-2024, 09:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi everybody , what's your autonomy with your AD3 Drake engine ?? And wich pipe do you use ? stock one ??
Cause i use Hipex 2135 and this sunday on a regional race , my autonomy was just 6 min ( great track)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maximax
Hi everybody , what's your autonomy with your AD3 Drake engine ?? And wich pipe do you use ? stock one ??
Cause i use Hipex 2135 and this sunday on a regional race , my autonomy was just 6 min ( great track)
Maybe you are tuning it wrong
Old 04-25-2024, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Hello there.
When it comes to fuel mileage there are so many variables. However 6 minutes even with the 2135 pipe has to be an overly rich tune. You should easily be able to get around 8:30 minutes.
But if you are on a very fast track it may very. Or a track with a lot of wheel spin.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks ! I will try some changes to have a good tune !

Last edited by maximax; 04-30-2024 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks ! I will try some changes to have a good tune !
If you're not tuning in the mid you will not have optimal run time. back off the top and tune in the bottom and mid first, everyone says never touch the mid, that is BS, its the single biggest factor when maximizing runtime.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Blaster1
If you're not tuning in the mid you will not have optimal run time. back off the top and tune in the bottom and mid first, everyone says never touch the mid, that is BS, its the single biggest factor when maximizing runtime.
The mid acts as a low speed needle, the only advantage is that you can move the spraybar in the opening that can give a slight noticeable better mid range but I never noticed a better mileage.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

i dont see how you can only run 6min and still be able to hang with the other cars on the track. Whats the fuel tank capacity?
Old 05-02-2024, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
The mid acts as a low speed needle, the only advantage is that you can move the spraybar in the opening that can give a slight noticeable better mid range but I never noticed a better mileage.
That is the case if your not adjusting the low speed the same amount as the mid. In my opinion the mid controls around 1/4 to 3/4ish. When adjusting the mid you need to adjust the low speed in the opposite direction the same amount to keep the idle tune the same. If you go in a hour or 2 on the mid turn the low speed out a hour or 2 then only the mid throttle is changed. Kinda like a dirt bike or Atv carb when adjusting the needle clip position for 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Can make a big impact. Your high speed needs to be pretty close first though, because that controls the amount of fuel all around. If you start with the top a little rich then adjust the mid in. Then you decide to lean the top on out then that is gonna lean your mid out also.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:12 AM
Tech Initiate

New O.S Speed B2105 in Summer 2025
Old 05-03-2024, 09:12 AM
Tech Initiate

New O.S Speed B2105 in Summer 2024
Old 05-07-2024, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hi guys, I'm just getting into nitro buggy and I stumbled across a good deal on a Samurai RM edition, and I can get a really good deal on a new Reds 2143 pipe w/ M manifold. Does anyone have any experience with this combo?

I'm likely going to go with a Protek or Mugen 4 shoe clutch, but I'm not sure what to expect as far as power delivery goes. Only info I found on the 2143 pipe is that it has a linear feel similar to electric which is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Old 06-17-2024, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hi,
I have a B21 Ongaro edition buggy engine I'm currently rebuilding for my onroad GT8 and couldn't find a replacement Piston/liner/rod set for it or will an AD2/3 set work ok?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2024, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

All good I found one....