Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
opinions please! which is better the o.s speed vspec or the eb modded vspec? >

opinions please! which is better the o.s speed vspec or the eb modded vspec?

opinions please! which is better the o.s speed vspec or the eb modded vspec?

Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Default opinions please! which is better the o.s speed vspec or the eb modded vspec?

i am interested in both of these engines which is better for the money? is the os speed vspec just dearer cuz its newer? any advice much appreciated on this issue. thanks in advance
Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well the EB mod is $100 more so it's more expensive. Does that make it better? Ask yourself this question, do I finish in the top three places at every race unless I have a mechanical problem? If your answer is yes, then the EB may squeeze out a few more seconds less per race and keep you in the top spot.

If you are cannon fodder like most of us then the V-Spec has more than enough power.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This question is just common sense.
Is a modded 350 small block better than a stock one?
Don't get me wrong, the motor won't make you win but it is better.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am a strong believer in factory modded equipment in the rc industry. No knock on EB mods or anything, but if anyone knows that engine, its OS, they know where to make it better and they did. Yeah it costs alot, but your paying for a lot more than horsepower and the "speed" name. Lots of r&d and a 1-2 finish at the ifmar worlds backs it all up.

That's why I always tell people to get an exhaust from the manufacturer of their engine, it was designed around and for that specific application to give the user in the end the best power and ease of use (tuning).
Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

now the JP Mod V-Spec is in another league.

would you consider that "factory"?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Addict

I like it when the modded engines become more popular than the original engine itself. It makes the original cheaper. The original V-spec is one of the best engines I've ever run. I still don't trust O.S. to put a reliable bearing in it, so I just buy the TKO ceramics and use those. If you are dead set on getting a modded version, that's cool, but I like the original and you can usually find them new in box for 230$ or so on Ebay.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would say they are pretty close in the same league. The JP version is based on the old V-Spec and the speed is a newer design that is suppose to be crazy fast. When JP comes out with an modded version of the speed it will be the best V-spec to have. And it will have a crazy price tag too.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Get the stock V-Spec and break it in gently. Nobody needs more power than that engine makes (most OS sponsored drivers used stock V-specs for most of the last season, including the nats winner). You can use the extra $150 you saved on something that will actually improve performance, like tires.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Get the stock V-Spec and break it in gently. Nobody needs more power than that engine makes (most OS sponsored drivers used stock V-specs for most of the last season, including the nats winner). You can use the extra $150 you saved on something that will actually improve performance, like tires.
Great answer. I heartily agree. The stock V-Spec was dyno'ed at 2.94 hp with a 2050 pipe in a RCCA test. That is more than enough power for the Pros to use it in truggies as well.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

XRC did an article awhile back checking out the modded engines versus the non modded. The mods do make a small difference, but like already said, unless your a top driver that can notice and benefit from real subtle changes, the standard engine is more than enough. The power increase was very subtle, and mainly shifted the power band. They checked them all on their own Dyno. Regular guys like us, just slap the standard one in and go racing.

I put one of these in my XB8, its a great engine w/ the OS 2050 pipe.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

if you don't know the difference between a world championship-winning engine vs a modified engine that has won err ... (????)

then i suggest u get the stock V-spec.
it is 1 of my all-time favourite OS's ... but i still prefer the V01
Old 03-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

JP MOD V-SPEC WORTH EVERY DOLLAR JUST STARTED MY 11th GALLON OF FUEL LAST WEEKEND STILL SCREAMS AND HAS PLENTY OF COMPRESSION
Old 03-09-2007, 04:34 AM
Tech Addict

I'VE USED IT IN A BUGGY AND TRUGGY w/ ALUMINUM SUSPENSION. IT TOSSED THE TRUGGY AROUND THE TRACK IT WAS A 1/10 GAS CAR. STUPID POWER.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

I ALMOST SOLD IT, BUT DECIDED TO KEEP IT JUST TO SEE HOW MANY GALLONS I'LL GO THROUGH, AND STILL HAVE GOOD PERFORMANCE
Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Addict

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service