Like Tree53Likes

The NOVA Engines thread

Old 07-22-2023, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kgombe
So you were running it at race pace/ tune on tank 6-8?

I have one and that sucks that happened to you, you're not the only one. I haven't ran mine yet.. time will tell
Tank 6 was still rich and was not running full race pace. 7 and 8 the engine fired right up and idled perfectly like it was finally broken in. So I tuned her up and sent it. I didnt race last week and evidently there was another one blew up last week and my buddy in FL said two guys at their track already sent two back for broken rods.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by toycardriver

8th tank of fuel on mine today
Dang man, that sucks.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I saw amain has novas new .24 truggy engine in stock . Has anyone ordered one yet? Iím going to get at some point to see how it is compared to my Roma.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Wonder why the Crankshafts in these engines aren't 100% DLC coated?
Old 08-18-2023, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the new T6r..currently its at Muran to be modified so then I can compare it to a modified Roma. I'll post my thoughts on it once its broken in. The Roma when modified correctly and has a proper pipe set that highlights the modifications is wicked fast so it has alot to live up too.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

I have a few Romas and 28ís and would like to see how this 24 will stack up. I think Iíll get the non dlc one to save some money. Are you going to get a new pipe for Nova 24 or are you going to try out some of the old tried and trued Novarossi pipes first?
Old 08-19-2023, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petersen114
Wonder why the Crankshafts in these engines aren't 100% DLC coated?
The Italians have had excellent steel as far back as I've been in nitro, they don't need it. O.S. started using DLC treatments on their SPEED line becuse they weren't able to match the hardness the Italian mills had, and from that point on it became a gimmick.
petersen114 and outcast32 like this.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by captain america
The Italians have had excellent steel as far back as I've been in nitro, they don't need it. O.S. started using DLC treatments on their SPEED line becuse they weren't able to match the hardness the Italian mills had, and from that point on it became a gimmick.
Then why use it at all?
Old 08-19-2023, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Then why use it at all?
For the same reason people buy ceramic bearings for their buggies and machined aluminum A-arms for their Traxxas trucks: they either believe it offers an advantage without knowing any better, or they want the bling factor. As I said, it's a gimmick on the Italian mills.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:46 PM
Tech Lord

It is actually more complex.....

Hardening steel can be done in many ways but you want to do it right getting it hard and still remain flex (flex keep the crankshaft alive). That does mean several heat treatments on the right given temperature with the right cool down periods. That cost time and so money and for sure not to mention the hardening company not holding onto the procedure to get the job done fast.
I was once involved with an engine development and to get a light but strong crankshaft we got a hold on a bar steel that is used for the crankshafts of F1 engines. We could not understand why the cranks were breaking until it came out the hardening company just trowed the cranks with other normal hardening orders not doing it right regarding the spec sheet.

So now production wise using a plain steel and harden it in a soft way to keep flex and then give it a surface hardening like DLC is much easier and saves a lot of money.
Old 08-19-2023, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

For the same reason people buy ceramic bearings for their buggies and machined aluminum A-arms for their Traxxas trucks: they either believe it offers an advantage without knowing any better, or they want the bling factor. As I said, it's a gimmick on the Italian mills.
Originally Posted by Roelof
It is actually more complex.....

Hardening steel can be done in many ways but you want to do it right getting it hard and still remain flex (flex keep the crankshaft alive). That does mean several heat treatments on the right given temperature with the right cool down periods. That cost time and so money and for sure not to mention the hardening company not holding onto the procedure to get the job done fast.
I was once involved with an engine development and to get a light but strong crankshaft we got a hold on a bar steel that is used for the crankshafts of F1 engines. We could not understand why the cranks were breaking until it came out the hardening company just trowed the cranks with other normal hardening orders not doing it right regarding the spec sheet.

So now production wise using a plain steel and harden it in a soft way to keep flex and then give it a surface hardening like DLC is much easier and saves a lot of money.
DLC is just a thin coating probably at the nano level. I just don't see how a coating can make any type of metal stronger, it's just imposable. DLC coatings do serve a purpose but not for structural integrity for the part it is applied to but only to reduce friction, wear, fretting, galling and corrosion kinda like supercharged type 3 anodizing but much better and more durable. Another property of DLC is that it is incredibly smooth, smoother than teflon I believe which can dramatically improve fluid and air flow dynamics. There is also the issue of the difficulty removing cranks from the Nova engines and I believe this is due to the final mill spec on the crank not being the correct diameter and once the DLC coating is applied then the crank is now above spec measurements. Not nocking these engines as I don't own one just making observations. Is DLC needed? No it's not, but neither are the shock bodies being type 3 anodized/ hard coated or carbon fiber parts, titanium parts, etc. Is it a scam? Maybe idk, but it is something that couldn't possibly hurt if it its applied correctly and doesn't increase the price dramatically. After about 1994 everything RC changed and evolved tremendously because of the overly need for speed. The vast majority will buy and use anything they can get their Hans on that will give them any sort of competitive edge in the race scene and companies will oblige the masses. RC has come a very long way w/ lots of gimmicks but I honestly imo don't believe that DLC coatings are a gimmick. JMO.
Old 08-19-2023, 04:03 PM
Tech Lord

DLC is just a thin coating probably at the nano level. I just don't see how a coating can make any type of metal stronger, it's just imposable. DLC coatings do serve a purpose but not for structural integrity for the part it is applied to but only to reduce friction, wear, fretting, galling and corrosion kinda like supercharged type 3 anodizing but much better and more durable. Another property of DLC is that it is incredibly smooth, smoother than teflon I believe which can dramatically improve fluid and air flow dynamics. There is also the issue of the difficulty removing cranks from the Nova engines and I believe this is due to the final mill spec on the crank not being the correct diameter and once the DLC coating is applied then the crank is now above spec measurements. Not nocking these engines as I don't own one just making observations. Is DLC needed? No it's not, but neither are the shock bodies being type 3 anodized/ hard coated or carbon fiber parts, titanium parts, etc. Is it a scam? Maybe idk, but it is something that couldn't possibly hurt if it its applied correctly and doesn't increase the price dramatically. After about 1994 everything RC changed and evolved tremendously because of the overly need for speed. The vast majority will buy and use anything they can get their Hans on that will give them any sort of competitive edge in the race scene and companies will oblige the masses. RC has come a very long way w/ lots of gimmicks but I honestly imo don't believe that DLC coatings are a gimmick. JMO.
As you say, it does not make it any stronger but lowers the friction. The whole crank does not need to be hard (you do not even want it keeping some flex) and wear resistance, only the crank pin but it is very difficult to treat the crank pin different from the rest of the crank shaft. DLC is giving the surface a diamond like carbon coating and so a strong and wear resistance surface that the crank pin needs to stay on its size and round.

RC does not need DLC?
Well.... I do agree that offroad engines due the lover rpm and most of the time a drop of extra oil in the fuel does need it less. With onroad engines today it is needed for a longer life. The high revs can cause a lack of lubrication due the high surface speed, DLC can withstand a short moment of a lack of lubrication w/o getting the conrod bushing and so the conrod overheated with the chance of losing strength.

True that Nova cranks are tight, Novarossi had that also. And yes, it is wrong. Because the expansion of the crankcase it is important that the crankshaft does slide freely through the main bearing. If the crank does not slide when the crank case gets warm then the bearings will run tight losing performance. When I get such an engine in my hands I always grind/sand some off so it slides through the main bearing.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 08-19-2023, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

I have more pipes and manifolds than I can count lol. After the engines drop their nuts I slap on some aggressive gearing , set my clutch to engage at a very low rpm(Buku), this was I can get a visual representation of low end power and when and how hard it comes on to pipe, then use my data analyzer app to determine which pipe set works best for the engine. I always start with a long manifold and work my way short . Typically I try the 9886/2048/ASM2171/Hipex2034/Ielasi 2185/Max 2164. I'll figure out what pipe works for all out speed then work back for best trigger feel and economy. If any one is interested I'll post my findings . I do this with all my engines. Once I get the pipe figured out I then start trying different shim stacks ,heat range plug and 2-3 different fuels ..I leave nothing on the table lol. I even take weather into the account like the DA. I tend to measure 0-75 feet,100',132',165'. Then speeds like 10-25mph, 15-30mph, 20-40, 30-45,35-55 in the event he motor can pull it with the gearing/tires I am running .My test rig is a XB21' with 16/46 gearing . If the weather cooperates this weekend I have 4 pipes I am testing on a Picco Gt1. 41032/9886, Ielasi 2186 and V3, and 41032/2185. So far this is a very fast Gt engine and since this is an offroad section I'll keep the details to myself as I don't want to get yelled at lol.
Later everyone.
Ps , this post was triggered by someone asking if I will be trying some of the traditional Novarossi pipes ...I'm assuming it was directed to me in regard to the T6r I have at Muran.
petersen114 and outcast32 like this.
Old 08-20-2023, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

I would love to hear your results. Please post them if you donít mind.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Say less my man , I'll post them. This weekend it rained non stop and is scheduled to rain a lot this week but once it lets up I'll post my findings. I have numerous engines in the line up that are scheduled, maybe I will make a thread for my tests...
As far as the new Nova engines I have seen the B5r run on a 41032/9886 and its very very fast ..a tad soft off the bottom but you can dial that out with the clutch but mid and top end she ripped no joke. Unfortunately I didnt put the analyzer on the car as its a buddies car. I have a modded g5r which I have tested and it has incredible top end but zero going on down low .I'll leave it at that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.