Like Tree53Likes

The NOVA Engines thread

Old 04-21-2023, 05:15 AM
  #46  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 554
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by frewster
Looking forward to hearing how it runs.
break in process with bones was relatively a breeze, ran great, but super tight at first. Still needs to break in on normal fuel too.
frewster likes this.
wely324 is offline  
Old 05-09-2023, 06:45 PM
  #47  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 554
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by frewster
Looking forward to hearing how it runs.
one quart thru and still very tight, but This thing is gonna rip. Need to get some more time with it but this things has tons of power. I have it matched up with an OS 2060.
wely324 is offline  
Old 05-10-2023, 11:09 AM
  #48  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 71
Default

Definitely curious if they tune as well as the old novarossi did.
jdsand5 is offline  
Old 05-10-2023, 04:35 PM
  #49  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 554
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jdsand5
Definitely curious if they tune as well as the old novarossi did.
I had an older novarossi, it would hold idle so well and temps were so consistent regardless of how hard I was driving.

the nova has been a breeze to tune but keeping the temps high enough has been some challenge.
wely324 is offline  
Old 05-10-2023, 06:56 PM
  #50  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 71
Default

Originally Posted by wely324
I had an older novarossi, it would hold idle so well and temps were so consistent regardless of how hard I was driving.

the nova has been a breeze to tune but keeping the temps high enough has been some challenge.
Very interesting.. I seen that the underside of the cooling head isn't polished and I wondered if that would have any effect on cooling.
jdsand5 is offline  
Old 06-03-2023, 07:18 AM
  #51  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 554
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I just noticed my spare plugs are a 6 and the b5r came with a 5.

Im currently running 25% nitro and still on the original plug 3 quarts in.

Curious if others are sticking with the 5 or going to a 6 after break in and what nitro content?
wely324 is offline  
Old 06-03-2023, 08:50 AM
  #52  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (16)
 
Galatians2 20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NYC
Posts: 279
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

My new Novas will be going in soon.

Curious to see if anyone has tried them with Novarossi pipes and what your thoughts are?

B3R going in buggy B5R going in truggy.

I was thinking 2096 or 2135 (works with everything I’ve tried) for buggy and 9853 for truggy.
Might also try 41020 (long manifold) w/ 086. It sounds crazy but rips in truggy with the old P5.
Galatians2 20 is offline  
Old 06-06-2023, 01:10 AM
  #53  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Overseas
Posts: 817
Default

What running times are you guys getting with the B3R, one of our locals got the engine and he can only do 7 minutes on our track, and his OS can do 9 minutes or more very easily. The engine is broken in, and tuned, he still managed to get 1st place this weekend, but he is disappointed in the run time, and going back to OS he said. One of the things he mentioned as well, is that the powerband is not linear.
silence360 is offline  
Old 06-07-2023, 06:43 AM
  #54  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 554
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by silence360
What running times are you guys getting with the B3R, one of our locals got the engine and he can only do 7 minutes on our track, and his OS can do 9 minutes or more very easily. The engine is broken in, and tuned, he still managed to get 1st place this weekend, but he is disappointed in the run time, and going back to OS he said. One of the things he mentioned as well, is that the powerband is not linear.
interesting you say that, I have a b5r and noticed my run times not as long as my other engines, but it's also a different car I have it in. I ordered the nova pipe and might try out a #6 glow plug.
wely324 is offline  
Old 06-07-2023, 07:37 AM
  #55  
Tech Lord
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 12,412
Default

I did get a Nova B3 to modify and did measure all timings. They are not logical to mee, a very large transfer timing that can be the cause of a bad milage.
Roelof is offline  
Old 06-07-2023, 07:36 PM
  #56  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Overseas
Posts: 817
Default

Originally Posted by Roelof
I did get a Nova B3 to modify and did measure all timings. They are not logical to mee, a very large transfer timing that can be the cause of a bad milage.
Wouldn't you have to modify the sleeve in order to fix that if that is even possible to fix?
silence360 is offline  
Old 06-07-2023, 11:14 PM
  #57  
Tech Lord
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 12,412
Default

Originally Posted by silence360
Wouldn't you have to modify the sleeve in order to fix that if that is even possible to fix?
The transfer ports of the B3 were at 70 degrees while normally offroad engines are between 60 an 65 degrees. 70 degrees I only have seen with some onroad engines and even there it is not common....

To modify it to "normal specs" can be done but it is a lot of work.
Roelof is offline  
Old 06-07-2023, 11:47 PM
  #58  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Overseas
Posts: 817
Default

That is what I figured, I assumed it would be pretty difficult to fix that based on your previous post. However even with that said, I still feel you will probably be able to do something to the engine, even if it may not be ideal just to try to salvage it if that is even possible with it being so wack. What surprises me the most is that I don't think that Novarossi had this issue with their line of engines, and not sure why they just didn't continue with what was already a pretty solid design, and just build off of that. It seems the group that took over tried to reinvent what was already proven to work well.
silence360 is offline  
Old 06-08-2023, 01:10 AM
  #59  
Tech Lord
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 12,412
Default

Lower the sleeve and raise the exhaust is needed, and then re-shim the button head. To me no problem (you need a lathe to lower the sleeve)

There is something to say for the high transfer port, it lowers the blow down which should give a wider power band but if is needed then more engines would have it. I only have seen that raised transfer ports can make an engine powerful but is not good for the milage.
Roelof is offline  
Old 06-08-2023, 06:50 AM
  #60  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 92
Default

Originally Posted by Roelof
Lower the sleeve and raise the exhaust is needed, and then re-shim the button head. To me no problem (you need a lathe to lower the sleeve)

There is something to say for the high transfer port, it lowers the blow down which should give a wider power band but if is needed then more engines would have it. I only have seen that raised transfer ports can make an engine powerful but is not good for the milage.
Modified Tritons have a raised sleeve. 2 shims
I definitely cant say that they have great mileage (nothing like OS), but they are definitely very fast.
nitro coffee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.