• 1 Post By GeorgeCk
  • 2 Post By Roelof

SH PT2018-XBG Engine Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default SH PT2018-XBG Engine Thread

I'm running this engine in my Tekno buggy and want to share what I've learned in the hopes of helping anyone else who's interested in the engine.

1) Do not run this with the SH 2060 pipe. I know this is only SH pipe that Amain sells, but avoid it at all costs. I ran it with the engine and struggled to get even 7 minutes on a tank with the 7.0mm venturi. In desperation, I tried the 6.0mm venturi but I was still only able to get a little over 7 minutes on a tank, and it wasn't good enough to be comfortable making 7 minute pits.

2) I tried the Performa/Orion/CRF 2149 pipe today and it was amazing how big a difference it made. The engine still had a ton of power, maybe a little more top end and a little less bottom. But the biggest difference was runtime. Running the 7.0mm venturi I was able to consistently get 9-10 minutes on a tank, and I'd be comfortable doing 8 minute pits, maybe longer with some fine tuning and making an effort to conserve fuel.

3) This engine runs hot. The manual says to keep it under 250F but I've found this to be impossible. It likes to get up around 280-290F with a race tune. So far, so good. I've got 2 gallons on mine and it still has plenty of compression.

4) It's a long needle carb, so it's a bit trickier to tune than the short needle carbs than I'm used to. I set the idle gap to 0.5mm and have gotten a good tune.

This is a great engine. It's affordable, it's got tons of power, and so far it's holding up well. It'll idle forever and isn't hard to tune once you get used to the carb and how it works. However, you'll hate it if you run it with the SH 2060 pipe. Somehow it just guzzles fuel with that combo.

Hope this helps anyone running this engine or thinking about buying it.
Nitro5270 and GeorgeCk like this.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

I also have this engine..
have you tried the 2155 pipe?
What plug do you use and what fuel?
Old 10-09-2021, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GeorgeCk
I also have this engine..
have you tried the 2155 pipe?
What plug do you use and what fuel?
I have not. I might try the SH 2075 pipe but with how the 2149 performs I don't know if anything would be better. The 2058 should perform pretty similarly.

I'm running an SH T4 plug with 30/8 Bone's Brew fuel.

What pipe are you running? How is your run time?
Old 10-11-2021, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by frewster
I have not. I might try the SH 2075 pipe but with how the 2149 performs I don't know if anything would be better. The 2058 should perform pretty similarly.

I'm running an SH T4 plug with 30/8 Bone's Brew fuel.

What pipe are you running? How is your run time?
I have tried the hipex/novarossi 2135 pipe with the novarossi 41021 manifold on the engine end performance is perfect.
Running Merlin Advance 25/9 with added klotz supertechniplate to bring the fuel at 10.6% total oil.
Runtimes are around the 7-8min mark with 7mm venturi but I am running it hard on a high speed track. If i control my finger a bit I can do 8-9min. During race I pit at 6:30-7 minutes..
Also temps are around 270-280 F.
frewster likes this.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Thanks. I'm getting similar temps so it's good to know I'm not the only one.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:44 AM
Tech Rookie

First of all, if you should be able to get 8-9 min runtime with the 2060 pipe and have plenty of Preformance,,If your not your running shitty fuel... I can outpreform any Os engine with this combo and won Dozens of races with it on Sidewinder 30% Off-road blend...Also engine temps should be cool around 230-240 max... Again if your running hotter, shitty fuel..
Old 11-29-2021, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 2002Worldchamp
First of all, if you should be able to get 8-9 min runtime with the 2060 pipe and have plenty of Preformance,,If your not your running shitty fuel... I can outpreform any Os engine with this combo and won Dozens of races with it on Sidewinder 30% Off-road blend...Also engine temps should be cool around 230-240 max... Again if your running hotter, shitty fuel..
All my emgines run at over 250 degrees, if I tune to lower temps they run awful.
In out track everyone pits at 6 minutes so I am happy with it at more than 6.
I have tried sigma, vp, and merlin and the temps are the same.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:37 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 2002Worldchamp
If you have 2 same engines but different timed they will run different temperatures on the ideal tuning. My onroad engines run almost 300F. Beside that there are some wide results of reading the temperature of one engine when using different meters.
Basically the temperature is the last thing you need. If you have found the perfect tuning then you can read the temp and use it as an indication next time but only with the same temp meter meassuring the same way
Nitro5270 and GeorgeCk like this.