Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Information on SH engine, desperate. >

Information on SH engine, desperate.

Information on SH engine, desperate.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Information on SH engine, desperate.

Can anyone out there please help me, SH has brutal customer support and the company is not responding to any form of communication. Other than Amain in the US who cannot help me either, there are no longer any distributors/sellers of the product. Furthermore their site offers no level of tech self-support at all and is very outdated. I am trying to find a copy of any manual I can get my hands on for the SH PT2016-XBG 0.21 nitro engine. According to exploded views I was able to find that it appears basically the same (other than heat sink) as the PT2018-XBG carb and internals. I was naive and bought it used, missing 3 of 5 carb restrictors and knowing the manufacturer offered zero support, now I'm stuck. Seller claimed it was brand new, just 1 tank of fuel run and it visibly appeared so. I continued to do break in by following my dynamite instructions which even that proves very difficult as severe pinch causing me lots of grief. Now that I'm at the 1/4 throttle and up stages of the break-in I am really struggling with fuel and stalling. Can anyone help me with particulars on this engine, needle settings, etc - better yet copies of the instructions?
Old 09-26-2021, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LSN 1 turn out from flush flush. HSN bottom of the flat head slot flush. MSN flush. Idle gap 1mm. You'll want a 0.5-0.7mm gap after break in. These should be rich settings. Remember that the carb has a long low speed needle, so the LSN affects more than just the idle and has a large impact on most of the tune.

You need to preheat the engine before starting to around 180-200F.

Contact Terranova Hobbies and he might be able to give you some more advice.

I have a copy of the instructions for my PT2018-XBG but the needle settings are completely off for the carb. Way too lean on the LSN.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:50 AM
Tech Lord

For anyone who knows how to tune an engine the factory settings are not needed.
Maybe better to learn more about the tuning of an engine?
Old 09-27-2021, 03:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Check this out it should help explain things.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
For anyone who knows how to tune an engine the factory settings are not needed.
Maybe better to learn more about the tuning of an engine?
Of course, but this carb is a bit odd because of how far out the HSN tends to be (out from flush) so this is useful information to get started.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:25 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by frewster View Post
Of course, but this carb is a bit odd because of how far out the HSN tends to be (out from flush) so this is useful information to get started.
And totally a waste if you use a fuel with less or more oil......
Old 09-27-2021, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

While I hate how Roelof always replies with the same "learn how to tune" response, I must admit he is right. The best thing you can do is find someone local to help that is experienced. Short of that, you could also upload some videos to YouTube for us to get a better idea how to help. Tuning is 95% sound...
Old 09-27-2021, 02:32 PM
Tech Lord

Thanx

The problem of a factory setting is that a lot of people think it is the right setting not knowing it can bet too rich or too lean depending all factors that has an influence on it like the weather, the amount and kind of oils in the fuel, the nitro content but also if you change the exhaust it will have an effect on the tune setting.
And if the factory setting is far of from the right tune you still have to turn all the needles to get the right tune......

Too much factors you should not rely on with a factory setting and so learning how to tune by sound, smoke and visual performance will be the best for your engine. Also here I do not mention the temperature because based on the mentioned factors there also huge differences between same type of engines and temperature meters. If you have found a right tuning based on smoke, performance and sound you can measure the temperature and only keep that number as an indicator with that engine measured in the same way with the same temperature meter.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Thanx

The problem of a factory setting is that a lot of people think it is the right setting not knowing it can bet too rich or too lean depending all factors that has an influence on it like the weather, the amount and kind of oils in the fuel, the nitro content but also if you change the exhaust it will have an effect on the tune setting.
And if the factory setting is far of from the right tune you still have to turn all the needles to get the right tune......

Too much factors you should not rely on with a factory setting and so learning how to tune by sound, smoke and visual performance will be the best for your engine. Also here I do not mention the temperature because based on the mentioned factors there also huge differences between same type of engines and temperature meters. If you have found a right tuning based on smoke, performance and sound you can measure the temperature and only keep that number as an indicator with that engine measured in the same way with the same temperature meter.
Again, I agree. The biggest trap for newbies is tuning to a temp.. temp is almost meaningless.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

That is why I said that the settings I gave will be rich, not actually tuned. They're a starting point, no more than that. Flush would be far too lean on this carb no matter what fuel you're running.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

LSN 1 turn out from flush flush. HSN bottom of the flat head slot flush. MSN flush. Idle gap 1mm. You'll want a 0.5-0.7mm gap after break in. These should be rich settings. Remember that the carb has a long low speed needle, so the LSN affects more than just the idle and has a large impact on most of the tune.

You need to preheat the engine before starting to around 180-200F.

Contact Terranova Hobbies and he might be able to give you some more advice.

I have a copy of the instructions for my PT2018-XBG but the needle settings are completely off for the carb. Way too lean on the LSN.
Thanks Frester, Terranova hobbies is gone also, no recent information on the website, no recent products listed and phone number goes to a totally other company. (Emailing also useless) All your information appears consistent with what I am finding on my engine except LSN. However I know the original owner moved the carb and even I tweaked the position slightly of the end component where the servo connects to - and when doing this the component moves freely on the carb slide and can very much change the depth of the LSN physically. I agree, the engine had to be preheated 30min before my starter box would turn it past TDC, and even then it's struggling. The PR2018 and PT2016 share all of the parts except for heat sink, it appears to be basically the same engine except groovy graphics? Would you please send me a copy of whatever information you have on yours? I'd really like to have all the documentation as I'm struggling to find any information or support on these.

As for the other replies, I appreciate all the advice, including the ones insulting my skills and intelligence. I was not asking for tuning help, I was asking for the starting points in factory setting to start from scratch since I had no idea how the carb was adjusted nor how many tanks had in fact been run through it since there are a lot of dishonest sellers out there. Because I am basically starting at a completely unknown point with regards to everything about this engine, a baseline seems smart.

Last edited by marcosphoto; 09-28-2021 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-28-2021, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

I know their website looks pretty much abandoned but if you email [email protected] you should get a replya
LIke I said before, I don't really want to upload the manual mine came with because the needle settings are completely wrong. Use the 7mm or larger venturi to get a bigger tuning window. Don't use the SH 2060 pipe, runtime is awful. I plan on trying some different pipes with mine soon.

You're right, the 2016, 2017, and 2018 engine are the same besides the head. The only one that's different is the 2018 three port.

Do you need the parts diagram? I was able to find it by googling.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

I know their website looks pretty much abandoned but if you email [email protected] you should get a replya
LIke I said before, I don't really want to upload the manual mine came with because the needle settings are completely wrong. Use the 7mm or larger venturi to get a bigger tuning window. Don't use the SH 2060 pipe, runtime is awful. I plan on trying some different pipes with mine soon.

You're right, the 2016, 2017, and 2018 engine are the same besides the head. The only one that's different is the 2018 three port.

Do you need the parts diagram? I was able to find it by googling.
Not sure why instructions for this engine are such a closely guarded secret, that even those that bought them cannot share. I guess everyone's got their reasons, I suppose maybe I'll just try to sell it to someone else since I cannot buy restrictors nor find literature on it. (I never got the 7mm and they are not available to buy anywhere). I've tried Terranova by phone and through the website email weeks ago with no response. I'll try one more time with email and we'll see what happens, my guess is I'll be SOOL.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by marcosphoto View Post
Thanks Frester, Terranova hobbies is gone also, no recent information on the website, no recent products listed and phone number goes to a totally other company. (Emailing also useless) All your information appears consistent with what I am finding on my engine except LSN. However I know the original owner moved the carb and even I tweaked the position slightly of the end component where the servo connects to - and when doing this the component moves freely on the carb slide and can very much change the depth of the LSN physically. I agree, the engine had to be preheated 30min before my starter box would turn it past TDC, and even then it's struggling. The PR2018 and PT2016 share all of the parts except for heat sink, it appears to be basically the same engine except groovy graphics? Would you please send me a copy of whatever information you have on yours? I'd really like to have all the documentation as I'm struggling to find any information or support on these.

As for the other replies, I appreciate all the advice, including the ones insulting my skills and intelligence. I was not asking for tuning help, I was asking for the starting points in factory setting to start from scratch since I had no idea how the carb was adjusted nor how many tanks had in fact been run through it since there are a lot of dishonest sellers out there. Because I am basically starting at a completely unknown point with regards to everything about this engine, a baseline seems smart.
I gave you solid advice there. Take it easy, will ya?
Old 09-28-2021, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Here you go. You can see for yourself how useless the included manual is.

Which venturis do you have?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.