can piston pin be reused?

Old 10-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default can piston pin be reused?

i recently broke the connecting rod on my os 21tm, i know the piston pin retainers should NOT be reused but was wondering about the pin itself?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2020, 08:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Good question. I just rebuilt a reds 721 and reused the pin cause I forgot to order one. I measured the pin and there was next to no wear on it so I figured it’d be fine. I don’t know if it’s ok or not but so far so good.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steelers2424 View Post
i recently broke the connecting rod on my os 21tm, i know the piston pin retainers should NOT be reused but was wondering about the pin itself?

Thanks
did it break threw the middle of the rod or in the bushing area? Highly unlikely it would happen in the top hole bushing but that would be one concern to reuse, also if the pin has any visible scratching I would have tossed it, however in a normal rebuild you can reuse the pin, I think most racers would replace all or just have a rebuild kit thatís fully built rod and pin so a lot of us may not even consider thinking about this piece. Itís up to the user as Iím sure plenty of people wouldnít have had an issue re using the pin in a rebuild. In a broken rod situation most would toss the engine because it causes unfixable damages. I broke a rod and know the piston was fine so that upper pin looking to work still, still I couldnít rebuild it because the sleeve was permanently stuck from the broken bottom rod piece slamming the bottom of the sleeve and spreading it wide. Destroyed everything. It was awesome. Thankfully happened on an old engine.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

I've never seen a wrist pin with significant wear.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't replace them unless there is no visible deamage. You can also just replace one clip when changing a conrod, because if you remove just one you can push the piston pin by using an hex screwdriver through the clip left. Then put a new one on the missing side and voila, it's secured.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies, i decided to play it safe and just replace it as well. pic below of the damage

Old 11-03-2020, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steelers2424 View Post
Thanks for the replies, i decided to play it safe and just replace it as well. pic below of the damage

thank goodness lmao it broke literally at the wrist pin. No way I would feel comfortable after that.