Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fyrstormer
  • 1 Post By am
  • 1 Post By fyrstormer

Dying through mid throttle

Old 01-15-2020, 10:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Dying through mid throttle

Have a losi 8ight t nitro Truggy. Relatively new, been through around four tanks. Having issues with accelerating from mid to top. Give about 3quarter throttle and it shuts down. The conditions were cool, saw a fair amount of smoke. Canít figure out what I should adjust. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

Probably way too rich on the top end,keep leaning the engine until it stops cutting.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you greatly! Will try this.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The HSN could be way too rich, or the LSN could be slightly too rich and the HSN slightly too lean. I've seen both conditions cause stalling at 1/2-3/4 throttle. (whereas, if the LSN and HSN were both slightly too rich, the engine would slowly choke and stall while idling.) In a LSN-too-rich + HSN-too-lean condition, the crankcase slowly loads-up on a few drops of excess fuel while idling, which then gets sucked into the combustion chamber all at once when the throttle is opened wide, causing the engine to choke.

The way to check for a LSN-too-rich + HSN-too-lean condition is to let the engine idle for a couple minutes and then see if it stalls when you open the throttle quickly, but doesn't stall when you open the throttle very slowly. You may also see the exhaust spitting out liquid fuel when opening the throttle slowly after idling for a couple minutes, but not after idling for only a few seconds.

Does the engine start to sound like it's gargling mouthwash when you open the throttle wide, or does the exhaust start to sound hollow? The former is too rich, the latter is too lean.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:13 AM
Tech Rookie

It actually sounds a bit bubbly, the cuts out when trying to accelerate. This information is very helpful and will put it into practice this weekend!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:44 PM
Tech Champion

Did it run fine before?
If so, dit you try a new glowplug?
Or did you allready and probably did place a too cold plug?
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like your still breaking that engine in, what is happening as others are stating you will need to lean it out and hour at a t time give the throttle some blips to except the needle change and recheck. If it tries to lean bogg on you the richen it 2hrs out and try. Good Luck. You will need to at least burn 8 or more tanks for the nuts to drop so take it easy until you get to that 8th tank but keep those temps up 180+
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Just to be clear, when 10racer says "lean it out one hour at a time", he's not talking about an hour of runtime, he's talking about 1/12 of a turn on the HSN.
10racer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
am
Tech Master

Thats why we in europe use the term "minutes", LOL Just as you crazy americans use "standard" screws just to make thiings easy :-)
10racer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

A "minute" would be 1/60 of a turn. Just refer to it as fractions of a turn rather than incorrectly associating it with a clock face. Even though I put dials on my carburetors, not all dials are clocks.

Most precision hardware in the US is Metric nowadays. Pretty much the only place I see English Imperial hardware anymore is for home construction supplies. We are basically like England nowadays, where they use Metric units for precision purposes and English Imperial units for things that don't really matter.
am likes this.