Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
GT2 engine/gearing options??? >

GT2 engine/gearing options???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cbaker65
  • 1 Post By cbaker65

GT2 engine/gearing options???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default GT2 engine/gearing options???

Hey there guys! I am rocking the old faithful .15 AE engine in my GT2 and it's doing great, however if I decided to get something super fast in the future like an OS .12 or a .12 Novarossi, or a Murnan mod variant, what would I have to do to beef up the transmission so it could take a more powerful engine reliably?

Also, what would it take to get a GT2 up to the 50-60 MPH range?.. And at that point.. does it still have good usable bottom end for racing and stuff like that or is it ALL high end with poor bottom end performance? I'd love to have something faster top speed wise that still is awesome for lots of things. I'm sure there's a happy medium on this stuff and I'm sure you guys have some great input to give so any opinions are welcome.

Thank you all in advance! (:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gtastuntcrew302
Hey there guys! I am rocking the old faithful .15 AE engine in my GT2 and it's doing great, however if I decided to get something super fast in the future like an OS .12 or a .12 Novarossi, or a Murnan mod variant, what would I have to do to beef up the transmission so it could take a more powerful engine reliably?

Also, what would it take to get a GT2 up to the 50-60 MPH range?.. And at that point.. does it still have good usable bottom end for racing and stuff like that or is it ALL high end with poor bottom end performance? I'd love to have something faster top speed wise that still is awesome for lots of things. I'm sure there's a happy medium on this stuff and I'm sure you guys have some great input to give so any opinions are welcome.

Thank you all in advance! (:
I am not sure what gearing that my RC10 has ,I would have to count the teeth ,but it is a top end speed ,a little too much for my liking ,on an OS cvr 18 ,the truck does
at least 60 mph to hydro an flip on its back at top speed with out the body on ,the body on ,it doesn't catch air to flip it!
As far as gears ,I am not sure what they are inside as I bought it years ago second hand ,but normally ,some people do change to a Robinson brand racing gears ,
I will get a tooth count for you here in a bit!...
gtastuntcrew302 likes this.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

I counted on the spur 64t ,the bell is 22t ,but ,I noticed that my spur almost touches the a-arm mount ,so you may go with a smaller tooth on it an a matching bell!

However ,if someone else has a better idea of a base line ratio ,I would find a cheaper brand like Kimbrough to find a good economic ratio ,an then once satisfied with
that ratio ,then you can purchase a higher end brand like Robinson racing gears!
gtastuntcrew302 likes this.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by cbaker65
I am not sure what gearing that my RC10 has ,I would have to count the teeth ,but it is a top end speed ,a little too much for my liking ,on an OS cvr 18 ,the truck does
at least 60 mph to hydro an flip on its back at top speed with out the body on ,the body on ,it doesn't catch air to flip it!
As far as gears ,I am not sure what they are inside as I bought it years ago second hand ,but normally ,some people do change to a Robinson brand racing gears ,
I will get a tooth count for you here in a bit!...

Robinson huh? Awesome! Good stuff to look out for! I've never heard of Robinson gears.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gtastuntcrew302
Robinson huh? Awesome! Good stuff to look out for! I've never heard of Robinson gears.
Yea ,ebay is your best friend on looking for vintage hop-up parts ,look out for the RRP & MIP ,an Lunsford turn buckles & tie rods ,also ,here is a very
important part that you may need ,as I broke the front end on my GT2 ,they are prone to snap an it effects everything when that happens!

Check this out ,good price too!

https://www.ebay.com/p/1939676945?ii...81410238&rt=nc